Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 12:25 PM

315 posts, read 1,300,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Trying to invalidate the experiences of other with facts, figures, insults, etc. is only serving your own ego at this point, not the general good of those seeking information about the city.
Best one I've heard in a while. Don't contradict me with the facts! As for insults, I challenge you to find an insulting post of mine. You may not agree with my point of view, but I have tried to remain civil in the face of personal attacks on me. Additionally, I would never make personal declarations about you or anyone else on here without knowing anything about you. I find it the height of hypocrisy to spend an entire paragraph insulting me and then accuse me of using insults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 12:43 PM

7,031 posts, read 11,329,049 times
Bawler, you use your words very well. You are very articulate and for a while I thought you were the "victim" of the pro-Baltimore meanies. The more of your posts I read the more I see through that. Your post to me calls me a hypocrite, no excuse me, "the height of hypocrisy," and you consistently belittle everyone else posting with your entire philosophy of discounting everyone else's opinion but your own with "facts and figures". Is this not insulting?

I don't know anything more about you than what you willingly reveal in your posts. If you don't like having a mirror held in front of your disappointing life decisions than don't boo-hoo about them publically on this forum. Everything is always about you, not about Baltimore, not about neighborhoods, but about your own self-serving crusade to make it the city's fault your life isn't what you want it to be.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:03 PM

315 posts, read 1,300,932 times
I'm not going to be drawn into a personal fight with you westsideboy. The facts speak louder than I. You know nothing about my life, as I know nothing about yours or anyone's on the board. It would be foolish to comment.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:32 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,605,366 times
Newbie,
Many neighborhoods in the city are in fact safer than many surrounding county areas. In fact, some folks in the county are actually a bit upset because they feel they are getting the "rif-raf" when city areas are being gentrified. That being said, Federal Hill is a great area. Visit the city first and scout out the areas you are considering before you sign any papers. And.. make sure you drive through the areas at night also.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:33 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,605,366 times
Newbie,
I forgot you mentioned Washington Hill and Canton. They are also perfectly fine. Sorry about that.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:38 PM

3 posts, read 19,009 times
Default Thanks

Thank you all for your replies,

I have visited Baltimore about 3 times. Before visiting, I had a terrible idea of what Baltimore was going to be like from rumors that I had heard about the city. But when I got there and spend some time, it was a lot nicer than I expected. I had been focusing in on Federal Hill and Canton becuase I liked these area and most people suggest to look there. But I've come across a couple of listings in Washington Village but have no idea what is it like.

I do appreciate the frank warnings about the dangers of some parts of the city. I suppose you just have to be aware of your surroundings...and where you park your car!

Old 01-10-2008, 05:01 PM

689 posts, read 3,217,688 times
But I've come across a couple of listings in Washington Village but have no idea what is it like.

Despite what the realtors would like you to think...the name of the neighborhood is NOT "washington village" -- it's Pigtown.

With that said...it's a pretty marginal neighborhood at the moment, with a lot of potential for growth and change...if it's done in a thoughtful way. I've lived here for 8 years and I love it.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:59 PM

757 posts, read 2,555,819 times
You might want to look at Ridgely's Delight. It's generally in between Federal Hill and Pigtown/Washington Village, both geographically and in the level of gentrification.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:13 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,812,905 times
Default Think hard

If the choice is between renting or buying, I would rent at this time. In short term, the market has nowhere to go but down. That doesn't mean that you wouldn't be looking. But be extremely careful. It's not crime you need to worry about but hard economic times that will turn many areas into foreclosure centrals.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:42 AM

70 posts, read 485,418 times
I second barante's advice -- if you can rent -- even for 6 months before making a decision, you'll be much more informed. I realize that's a hard choice, emotionally and financially in terms of moving twice, etc, but it will give you the opportunity to make the BEST choice for you. Its better that you really understand your new neighborhood -- both the pros and cons -- than jumping in blindly and being unhappy later like some others have done. We'd all HATE to hear you complain about how terrible Baltimore is and how you can't move in a year from now .

That said, any of those neighborhoods would be potential "good" choices.

Federal Hill will bring you closest to the Harbor and downtown -- probably more of a cosmopolitan/city living feeling. In Canton, your life will be more likely centered on the Square and the "Can Company" nice, but a little too generic for my taste -- with all the chain restaurants, etc. You'll also likely drive to downtown/stadiums and the rest of the city. Pigtown/Washington Village/Camden Crossing will put you just west of downtown. Although its walkable to downtown, most of the people I know who live there drive out of the immediate area for shopping and entertainment. I expect that to change dramatically over the next few years once the Washington Blvd retail redevelopment starts kicking in.

Carolott - I have to slightly disagree with you about Pigtown -- since all the development began in that area, I've always been told the naming is directly related to what pricepoint they're selling -- Pigtown under or around $200k. Washington Village above $200k and then of course there's Camden Crossing unto itself >$500k -- its the same with "Upper" Fells Point and "East" Canton Its alll in the marketing, but as they say . . . . "A rose by any other name . . . ."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore