Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 04:23 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,254,704 times

Advertisements

Baltimore Restaurants, Dentists, Bars, Beauty Salons, Doctors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 04:55 PM

850 posts, read 1,132,587 times
Yelp uses a algorithm to prevent people who want to knock a company from being published. Pretty much you have to be a regular reviewer for your review to be considered. As a result you get better reviews.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:58 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,106,895 times
No, none at all since I read that yelp tampers with the ratings, and promotes those establishments that advertise with them while downgrading those establishments that do not. I do pay attention to www.urbanspoon.com and www.tripadvisor.com as I haven't heard anything bad about those companies. If you hear different, please let us know.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:03 PM

I'm a regular yelp reviewer and very fair. I've reviewed a lot of places in both DC and Baltimore.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:16 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,932,094 times
No. Yelp is the mafia of the internet. Why would people basically work for free for yelp by doing reviews? A few bad reviews can destroy a business, when the only people that take the time out of their day to write reviews are super narcissistic morons that think they're royalty and should be treated as such wherever they go. Then when owners refuse to be blackmailed by Yelp for 'advertising' to the tune of several hundred dollars or more per month, Yelp mysteriously hides good reviews or makes bad ones appear at the top.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:23 PM

759 posts, read 1,357,724 times
I don't trust "Yelp" or any other ratings service which accepts paid advertising (Angie's List, etc.) They do not exist as a public service, rather as a revenue generator for their owners.
Having worked in the bar/restaurant business for decades, I know that no screening takes place, and it is more an open to all complaint site than anything else. Neither moderators or supposed posters ever reply to honest inquiries posted by business owners, which leads me to believe it is just an open ***** board, not an honest review site.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:16 AM

252 posts, read 425,581 times
I look at Yelp for items to get, not necessarily to go or not.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
No. Yelp is the mafia of the internet. Why would people basically work for free for yelp by doing reviews? A few bad reviews can destroy a business, when the only people that take the time out of their day to write reviews are super narcissistic morons that think they're royalty and should be treated as such wherever they go. Then when owners refuse to be blackmailed by Yelp for 'advertising' to the tune of several hundred dollars or more per month, Yelp mysteriously hides good reviews or makes bad ones appear at the top.
Yelp hides both good/bad reviews from people who go to yelp once to review a business and never review anything. Their hiding process is fair. They will also hide reviews from people who always review negative.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:40 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,254,704 times
Boston Restaurant Publicly Shames Horrible Yelp-Threatening Customers

Old 03-06-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
If I were a retail business owner I would use Yelp to my advantage.

1. Business on yelp can respond back to reviews.
2. Use those negative reviews to improve business processes etc..
3. Try to get those neg reviewers back into your establishment so that they can update their review (wow them).
4. Flag neg reviews in an effort to get the removed.

Business who sue, shame and do all other things with neg reviewers are simply stupid and make themselves look bad in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: