Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 10:22 PM

757 posts, read 2,553,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post
Maybe if you mean welfare and other forms of federal aid for low income residences. That's more of a gov handout. In DC it's more like federal contractors, employees and people who run small time businesses that provide services to the gov. These are educated individuals who navigate the federal soup to gain income.

I find those are two very different ways of what you call "benefits from the federal government". One method is noble the other is begging for money!!!!

Baltimore is more/less blue collar that depends on industry and weak companies.
If you actually bothered or read, the article is talking specifically about federal government employment and its multiplifying effects, not social spending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 04:46 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy_d View Post
If you actually bothered or read, the article is talking specifically about federal government employment and its multiplifying effects, not social spending.
SSA HQ just west of the city line has employed 13,000-22,000.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:21 PM

757 posts, read 2,553,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
SSA HQ just west of the city line has employed 13,000-22,000.
Really not that significant in a metro population of 2.7 million.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:02 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times
Why does Baltimore have so many weak companies?

Quote:
Maybe if you mean welfare and other forms of federal aid for low income residences. That's more of a gov handout. In DC it's more like federal contractors, employees and people who run small time businesses that provide services to the gov. These are educated individuals who navigate the federal soup to gain income.

I find those are two very different ways of what you call "benefits from the federal government". One method is noble the other is begging for money!!!!

Old 04-06-2015, 08:21 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,525 times
Quote:

[Mod cut: orphaned]

The truth is that the Baltimore area is at the bottom of top ten large metro areas in lots of ways, including educational attainment. Baltimore no longer has a particularly blue collar economy. That is just a myth that DC folks use in order to try to feel superior. It is clear that the DC area is very well educated and prosperous. Why can't they just enjoy their status and not even worry about Baltimore? Perhaps they feel that the presence of Baltimore to the north hurts them in some way. I don't see how; it didn't keep them from becoming well educated and prosperous.

Last edited by elnina; 04-08-2015 at 02:04 PM..

Old 04-06-2015, 10:22 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,455,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
[Mod cut- orphaned]

The truth is that the Baltimore area is at the bottom of top ten large metro areas in lots of ways, including educational attainment. Baltimore no longer has a particularly blue collar economy. That is just a myth that DC folks use in order to try to feel superior. It is clear that the DC area is very well educated and prosperous. Why can't they just enjoy their status and not even worry about Baltimore? Perhaps they feel that the presence of Baltimore to the north hurts them in some way. I don't see how; it didn't keep them from becoming well educated and prosperous.
Spot on! Can't rep you again right now, but you should get bonus points for diplomacy. Of course most US metros will fall short of NYC, DC & SF - they are our flagship cities, our Paris, London & Tokyo etc. That doesn't mean that Yokohama, Prague & Edinburgh etc are not also wonderful cities with opportunity. If what is wrong with Baltimore is that it is not DC, well duh! Figure if all that federal post 911 largess couldn't build a mecca, then the game is over.

Last edited by elnina; 04-08-2015 at 02:05 PM..

Old 04-07-2015, 10:07 AM

850 posts, read 1,130,671 times
Quote:
[Mod cut - orphaned]

No change in my rhetoric.

Baltimore is slow to make progress and falls behinds all major metropolitan areas within the United States (maybe except Detroit). Getting back to the topic at hand.

This top 10 list in no way really makes and significant difference. It's almost like my kid brings how a report card showing a 2.0 GPA (just made it) and wishes to celebrate.

Last edited by elnina; 04-08-2015 at 02:06 PM..

Old 04-07-2015, 12:45 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
[Mod cut - orphaned]

Meh, many of us down here don't really care to be honest. We're doing more than well in the DC area in spite of Baltimore's presence. Let's not get carried away here. But hey, whatever makes you feel good in dealing with trolls

Last edited by elnina; 04-08-2015 at 02:07 PM..

Old 04-07-2015, 01:34 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
Baltimore will never be DC in the number of professional jobs. Let's just get that out of the way right away. This is DC's big appeal is for those career oriented in policy and economics, law, journalism, nonprofits, etc. It is a juggernaut that is in an elite economic group Baltimore will never be part of.

Let's get that out of the way.

But Baltimore does not need to be part of that group to both grow and improve as a city. It could go a long way in expanding in ways that play to it's streangths.

Here is the thing Baltimore does have to offer, and it is important. It is a good city if one want's to start up their own business and use a bootstrap method (minimal investment) to do so. This means niche businesses can start and grow, and can scale if need be. Baltimore also has a more substantial creative art's scene then it is given credit for.

That is the thing, not everybody who finishes school finishes with a business or political science background. Some finish with MFA and need a place to start which is low rent, but with good access to strong regional markets. Some are starting businesses, and others just want a place they can do their work and not have to worry about paying the rent.

I know many people that live in Baltimore, and many of them are artists or small business people full time.

So while Baltimore does lag other cities in the region, it may end up with a bright future. Young people are moving there, and there is no question about that, it did have growth in terms of college graduates. But while DC attracts young professionals, Baltimore attracts young creatives.

Baltimore could very easily become something like Portland, New Orleans, or Nashville. It could be medium size city known for it's creative output and draw in tourists and economic growth as a result. Artscape for example is already becoming a major festival, and you only need to look towards SXSW on how a festival can be leveraged for regional economic growth.

So I am not surprised to see Baltimore on the list. The city has a long way to go to improve, but it already has planted the seeds necessary for a brighter future, and it is starting to pay off.

For the record, I actually live in DC, this is kind of what I have seen from Baltimore from my perspective as a frequent visitor.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:38 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,486,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Meh, many of us down here don't really care to be honest. We're doing more than well in the DC area in spite of Baltimore's presence. Let's not get carried away here. But hey, whatever makes you feel good in dealing with trolls
I was a little confused too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: