Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 03:48 PM

934 posts, read 1,061,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowery View Post
Your insurance isn't accepted at Johns Hopkins Community Physicians? I see my primary care physician at the wyman park location. There's also an OB/GYN dept. there also.
It is, but it has something to do with the fact that the land the outpatient center is built on is partially owned by the state of Maryland and Bayview is entirely owned by Hopkins. I had never had this issue before when going to the outpatient center for other appointments, but after I went there for OB/GYN, I got a $100 bill in the mail (it's supposed to be covered). I called the hospital's billing services and they told me to call my insurance. I called my insurance and they told me to call the hospital's billing services. It was a huge mess and I ended up getting rather nasty on the phone (which I never ever do) because no one was giving me a straight answer, but the explanation about state land was the most I could get. I still don't understand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 04:11 PM

389 posts, read 426,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by designer_genes View Post
It is, but it has something to do with the fact that the land the outpatient center is built on is partially owned by the state of Maryland and Bayview is entirely owned by Hopkins. I had never had this issue before when going to the outpatient center for other appointments, but after I went there for OB/GYN, I got a $100 bill in the mail (it's supposed to be covered). I called the hospital's billing services and they told me to call my insurance. I called my insurance and they told me to call the hospital's billing services. It was a huge mess and I ended up getting rather nasty on the phone (which I never ever do) because no one was giving me a straight answer, but the explanation about state land was the most I could get. I still don't understand it.
That was an expensive bill.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:47 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,455,751 times
Health care and insurance in the country is a mess. DG, you got the run around on a preventive/check up when you have insurance and are part of the Hopkins network, disgraceful!

FWIW we really like Dr Susan Schrock at the Hopkins group in Canton in the First Mariner building, but am not wild about some of the others in that office. Also, I prefer older physicians, just feel that more experience is better...a personal thing.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:51 AM

934 posts, read 1,061,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowery View Post
That was an expensive bill.
Yep. Especially for a graduate student that makes next to nothing. But, luckily nothing like that has happened since. I'm going to go to Bayview again next time I need an annual checkup, but I'll probably just request a different doctor and hope that one is better. I'm sure there are good people at that office too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpark View Post
Health care and insurance in the country is a mess. DG, you got the run around on a preventive/check up when you have insurance and are part of the Hopkins network, disgraceful!
Yeah, it's unfortunate. The healthcare system in this country is a mess - this is definitely not a problem exclusive to Hopkins.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:23 AM

912 posts, read 914,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpark View Post

FWIW we really like Dr Susan Schrock at the Hopkins group in Canton in the First Mariner building, but am not wild about some of the others in that office. Also, I prefer older physicians, just feel that more experience is better...a personal thing.
Agreed. I like Dr. Schrock, too. Very much. Sadly, she suffers from the same thing as the other Hopkins doctors -- an atrocious scheduling team. I had the 'pleasure' of dealing with them again today. They have zero idea how to do their job. I tell them they are wrong. They insist they are right. They call me back an hour or two later after doing their homework and admit they were wrong. This happened twice this week alone, and it's only Thursday. I am a very patient person, but have zero tolerance for poor service and people that don't know how to do their jobs. We all need to learn, so if you're new, I get it. But in that case say, I don't know the answer to that, let me find out. I'd much prefer that than someone arguing with me for an ungodly amount of time when they are clearly wrong. It's far from professional and truly annoying. I'm wrapping up care with them as we speak and moving on. This has happened too many times recently.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:01 PM

912 posts, read 914,693 times
Update to anyone in the future that reads this thread:

In speaking with the Hopkins manager today regarding these issues, #1, she was appalled (which at least makes me feel like something might change) and she said that she has heard similar comments often lately. #2, The good news is, the Hopkins Call Center (CSI) is being required to take an additional (80-hour, I believe she said) course and it ends with an exam. I think they are taking it soon, like this month or next (don't hold me to that part -- I'm still very sick and in a fog). They need to get at least an 80% to keep their jobs.

So, maybe a sign of better experiences to come (like it once was in the past pre-CSI), we shall see? That's not a total solution, but if it works, it will at least fix their biggest problem. Just thought I'd share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: