Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 12:00 PM

8,239 posts, read 13,360,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
When someone asks me "where are you from?" (meaning place of birth), I used to say "Baltimore."

But I have changed over the years.

Now I say "Maryland."

If they persist in narrowing it down, I say something like "Baltimore, but I'm not going to hurt you."

That reminds me.. if you are a transplant....how long do you have to live somewhere before you have to say that you are "from" the area that you migrated to? To your point.. I know people from out of state that when they are outside of MD and are asked the... "where are you from question?" respond..." I live in Baltimore or I live in Maryland" I don't know if it is because they are embarrassed or just a way to keep their birthplace/former home sacred and separate. The likely next question from an inquiry mind would be "oh, where were you born/raised../" Which then allows them to gush or bash their birthplace/former home....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 02:48 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
I say I'm from BALTIMORE when people ask where I'm from. Usually, when I'm out of town, people will know I'm from Baltimore without having to ask; usually in shirt that references Baltimore in some form.

Never heard anyone laughing.

When people ask about the riots, I simply say what really happened. There were riots for a few hours on two non-consecutive days and it was over after that. I was there when things got ugly downtown the first time.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:22 PM

29 posts, read 58,760 times
Well...because Baltimore is a dump.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:25 PM

490 posts, read 924,624 times
People that aren't even from Baltimore get label to be honest. If a person says there from Maryland they automatically assume your from Baltimore and look at you weird. That why when someone ask me where I'm from I say the D.C. area. A Maryland suburb of Washington D.C.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:17 AM

8,239 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
People that aren't even from Baltimore get label to be honest. If a person says there from Maryland they automatically assume your from Baltimore and look at you weird. That why when someone ask me where I'm from I say the D.C. area. A Maryland suburb of Washington D.C.

That is so true.......When I am at a conference I usually say "the DC Area" simply because I live in Baltimore and work in DC.. So since I am technically working.. I say "the DC Area" since that is my professional orientation. If the person that I meet is from this area they usually say "oh yeah.. where do you LIVE" then that's when I get specific and say " Baltimore".. Usually if I am on vacation or personal business and people ask.. I say " Baltimore". If I am abroad especially in the UK .. I say " the Washington DC Area" mainly because if someone has heard of Baltimore it is negative and I don't feel like explaining what is true, not true, and nor want to satisfy their interest in my survival stories... I say the same in Africa.. because most people don't have a reference for Baltimore there if they haven't been to the USA and you have to have a series of orientation statements to get them up to speed.. "between PHilly and DC, American Football Team.. Ravens, every now and then 'The Wire' is referenced there too.....

Old 09-20-2018, 02:40 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
The Wire is over 15 years old.. I don't think that show still shines a bad light on Baltimore. A lot of TV shows are about NYC and other cities (NYC mostly). Those cities manage to move on.

Baltimore has had some bad public embarrassments in the last 5 years, from the Horseshow debacle, the riots, the still many abandoned houses, the crime, corruption in the city government in almost all offices, the schools not being equipped with heat and air conditioning, closing rec centers, layoffs and budget cuts at city schools, water bill increase, BGE increase, decrease in city services etc, police scandals and payouts, those ridiculous red light cameras and the problems with the past vendors with bogus tickets, too many BCPD Chiefs of Police to mention, etc. etc. etc...

The Wire can't be the excuse anymore.

If a parade can be planned for Ray Lewis, schools should have heat and AC.
Detroit has moved on so why can't Baltimore? The Wire is still relevant today, 'It's Baltimore gentlemen, the gods will not save you' applies as much today as it did back then.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:51 PM

690 posts, read 1,007,583 times
I traveled all over when I tell I'm from Baltimore they are actually excited to visit or if they have they always talking about how much of a good time they had.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:15 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
That reminds me.. if you are a transplant....how long do you have to live somewhere before you have to say that you are "from" the area that you migrated to? To your point.. I know people from out of state that when they are outside of MD and are asked the... "where are you from question?" respond..." I live in Baltimore or I live in Maryland" I don't know if it is because they are embarrassed or just a way to keep their birthplace/former home sacred and separate. The likely next question from an inquiry mind would be "oh, where were you born/raised../" Which then allows them to gush or bash their birthplace/former home....

Not a transplant but am embarrassed when they ask where I'm from, I always say born/raised in Balmo, and add "before it became a cesspool."

Old 09-24-2018, 07:29 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
That is so true.......When I am at a conference I usually say "the DC Area" simply because I live in Baltimore and work in DC.. So since I am technically working.. I say "the DC Area" since that is my professional orientation. If the person that I meet is from this area they usually say "oh yeah.. where do you LIVE" then that's when I get specific and say " Baltimore".. Usually if I am on vacation or personal business and people ask.. I say " Baltimore". If I am abroad especially in the UK .. I say " the Washington DC Area" mainly because if someone has heard of Baltimore it is negative and I don't feel like explaining what is true, not true, and nor want to satisfy their interest in my survival stories... I say the same in Africa.. because most people don't have a reference for Baltimore there if they haven't been to the USA and you have to have a series of orientation statements to get them up to speed.. "between PHilly and DC, American Football Team.. Ravens, every now and then 'The Wire' is referenced there too.....
Someone from Baltimore claiming to be from the DC area?? We are truly living in the last days. I'd answer every last question multiple before I'd ever claim to be from the DC area.

Joking, but serious at the same time.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:11 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,511,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Someone from Baltimore claiming to be from the DC area?? We are truly living in the last days. I'd answer every last question multiple before I'd ever claim to be from the DC area.

Joking, but serious at the same time.
Actually, I grew up in the DC area but I would never answer to that unless I was pressed to. Since I arrived in Baltimore after graduating from college, I can't claim to be from Baltimore either. I just say I'm from Maryland, but not Baltimore (though I have lived in Baltimore City over half my life.) Since I don't care what people think of me, I admit to living in Baltimore City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore