Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 08:14 PM

66 posts, read 115,555 times

Advertisements

We are being relocated to the southeast part of Baltimore (marine terminal off 895) from Texas. I think I have narrowed it down to 3 areas since we have kids in high school so an excellent school are a must. Budget 350-500k. We are looking for basically the town that has the best variety of places to eat first off, and active community events like festivals, parades, fireworks, holiday festivals, but least suburban - I feel like everything is very country. I'm used to groceries stores less than a mile away in any direction so would prefer that as well.

Can you tell me a little more about the areas of Columbia/Ellicott City/Cantonsville, Bel Air, and Arundel? County. I feel like I would prefer Annapolis area best but don't want to be the cheap house in an expensive area. Which has the easiest commute? Do they flood bad because I'm over flooding. Any neighborhoods with sidewalks?

Last edited by BluEyesNCskies; 06-22-2020 at 09:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 02:07 AM

3,538 posts, read 2,329,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluEyesNCskies View Post
We are being relocated to the southeast part of Baltimore (marine terminal off 895) from Texas. I think I have narrowed it down to 3 areas since we have kids in high school so an excellent school are a must. Budget 350-500k.
Since schooling is a primary motivator look right Baltimore City/counter and set up shop in Howard and Anne Arundel Counties. Both have multiple nationally top ranked high schools.

Quote:
We are looking for basically the town that has the best variety of places to eat first off, and active community events like festivals, parades, fireworks, holiday festivals, but least suburban - I feel like everything is very country. I'm used to groceries stores less than a mile away in any direction so would prefer that as well.
Columbia, & Annapolis are going to by and large the least suburban as both have actual downtowns. Columbia & Annapolis both have festivals, fireworks, holiday events etc.. while the grocey options in Columbia arguably rival if not exceed Baltimore in terms variance accessabiliy.

Quote:
Can you tell me a little more about the areas of Columbia/Ellicott City/Cantonsville, Bel Air, and Arundel? County. I feel like I would prefer Annapolis area best but don't want to be the cheap house in an expensive area.
Annapolis is the state capital, largest of the satellite cities and has one of the best historic downtowns in the country. Has all the events/food options a person could want and need (Naval Academy is also located there). 350-500k is plenty to get you a nice townhome near downtown. COVID has caused prices to drop as well, and they'll shoot back up in a few years because Annapolis sits on prime waterfront so thats something to think of.

Columbia is the "new" kid on the block and is growing and developing at a very rapid pace. The city is currently midway through building a proper DT (modern high-rises and all) around Lake Kittamaqundi/Merriweather Pavillion. It's a planned city so theres multiple town centers jotted around with schools/shopping/food options interconnected by main artery roads. I lived there for almost 20 years I seriously can't think of much it's lacking.

Ellicott City/Cantonsvile is mostly wooded burbs except for the old historic town center (beautiful to visit), but I wouldn't buy a home there due to the infrequent but catastrophic flooding.

Bel Air is similar Ellicott City/Cantonsvile but the residents are through and through old money, and it's substantially more isolated from Baltimore and thus lacks the amenities such as airport & rail access.

Quote:
Which has the easiest commute? Do they flood bad because I'm over flooding. Any neighborhoods with sidewalks?
For your husband, commuting is going to be at minimum 45min - 1 hour during rush hour. Unfortunately the Port is located on the far side of Baltimore Harbor and requires you to take either I95, I895 or 695 if you want to avoid driving through DT Baltimore. Unfortunately all three are toll roads (95 & 895 are tunnels while 695 is a bridge). You are correct in that I895 would be the quickest as it dumps you a mile from the port facility. Columbia can be a hit or miss due to the traffic back ups from DC-Baltimore on I95, while Ellicott City has to deal with southbound I70 traffic from western MD. Annapolis traffic (97) during peak summer is nightmare as it sits at the junction where Eastern Shore commuters are coming to and from DC & Baltimore via the Bay Bridge.

Apart from the once in decade flood in Old Ellicott City none of the locations ever had flooding issues outside of stray remnant of Hurricane's that dissipate over the Carolina's, but nothing even remotely touching what Houston went through.

Hope that helps a bit

Last edited by Joakim3; 06-23-2020 at 02:22 AM..

Old 07-02-2020, 04:53 PM

51 posts, read 178,763 times
Moved here last year; Anne Arundel County around Glen Burnie. This place has been a disappointment, to say the least. The people for the most part are somewhat rude, the pace is so fast that there are certain streets that one should avoid during daylight hours, the local food is terrible (we have eaten more Pizza Hut since our arrival than we had in the preceding ten years), and the crime and corruption in Baltimore proper is such that we avoid going into the city unless its an absolute necessity. Now others may have had a more positive experience with moving here; don’t take this post as absolute truth, but it would be wise to come in here knowing there are some things that may not be so great. Best of luck to you.

Old 07-02-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Lee View Post
Moved here last year; Anne Arundel County around Glen Burnie. This place has been a disappointment, to say the least. The people for the most part are somewhat rude, the pace is so fast that there are certain streets that one should avoid during daylight hours, the local food is terrible (we have eaten more Pizza Hut since our arrival than we had in the preceding ten years), and the crime and corruption in Baltimore proper is such that we avoid going into the city unless its an absolute necessity. Now others may have had a more positive experience with moving here; don’t take this post as absolute truth, but it would be wise to come in here knowing there are some things that may not be so great. Best of luck to you.

Where did you move from?

Old 07-02-2020, 08:13 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,087,699 times
Quote:
Moved here last year; Anne Arundel County around Glen Burnie. This place has been a disappointment, to say the least. The people for the most part are somewhat rude, the pace is so fast that there are certain streets that one should avoid during daylight hours, the local food is terrible (we have eaten more Pizza Hut since our arrival than we had in the preceding ten years), and the crime and corruption in Baltimore proper is such that we avoid going into the city unless its an absolute necessity.

I agree with you about Glen Burnie, it's seedy in some areas, too commercial in others.
I would seek other areas to live in. I know some people like it and I have to wonder what crappy
city they are comparing it to.

Old 07-03-2020, 08:27 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,949 times
Quote:
Glen Burnie is not a great area.

People keep thinking that you can find affordable, cheap housing in urban centers that are nice areas are dreaming.

Old 07-03-2020, 08:29 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,949 times
Quote:
Where did you move from?
Crickets.......

As usual this is the typical between Baltimore, and DC thread........

Old 07-03-2020, 01:10 PM

51 posts, read 178,763 times
Raleigh, North Carolina

Old 07-03-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Raleigh, North Carolina
Ok well I lived and hated Charlotte so hopefully it won't be so bad for us.

Old 07-03-2020, 02:00 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
We are being relocated to the southeast part of Baltimore (marine terminal off 895)
Budget 350-500k.
Unless you are boat people who need access to the bay...
head west toward the Ellicott City area. Stop when you get to Centennial Lane. MapLink
If you haven't found 'it' by then... turn around and look again heading back the way you came.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore