Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Ech Ech started this thread

1 posts, read 2,125 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to the Baltimore area next summer and we are looking for some where SAFE to live but we still want the aspects of the city life. We have been searching on the web and most postings are pretty scary. Does anyone have any suggestions of suburbs or areas that we should check out when we visit in December? Thank you for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 08:22 AM

33 posts, read 170,173 times
I'd recommend Lauraville, its on the Northeast side of the city. My husband and I have been here a year and really like it. We have restaurants popping up all over and wonderful neighbors. Good luck in your search!

Old 09-08-2008, 09:30 AM

44 posts, read 271,716 times
Depends on what you want to spend. Canton is great but expensive; Federal Hill, Fells Point are for the most part safe (I'm SWF and have no issues walking around any of these late at night). Just watch how far out you go. Literally, one block will have million $ homes, the next is the ghetto.

Stay away from southwest Baltimore city.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:24 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,810,192 times
Default Patterson Park

There are plenty of great neighborhoods here. Lauraville is one, as a previous poster indicated. Patterson Park is another. It will be another Federal Hill is a few years after announced housing/office expansion bridges it with the Johns Hopkins medical campus.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:33 AM

156 posts, read 787,197 times
Beware. A friend of mine was robbed last week on S. Collington near Gough (Butchers Hill area). Guy approached and showed a gun, demanded money and then fled. He was caught down by Broadway and Eastern. I've lived in Upper Fells for three years and virtually everyone I know has been robbed in the neighborhoods surrounding Canton Sq. and Fells. Google Zach Sowers. I suggest somewhere like Severna Park, Arnold, Crofton. You don't really want the feel of this city.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:11 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,810,192 times
Default The Sarah Palin factor

I have lived in Baltimore continously since 1969, except for eight years that I spent overseas between 1980 and 1988, I have been to every corner of this city at all hours. Nothing has ever happened to me. Which isn't saying that something couldn't, considering the Sarah Palin factor -- "life happens."
Ech, you have the whole metropolitan area from which to choose. Do your due diligence and live happily ever after. Hundreds of thousands live in the city and "like the feel of the city."

Old 09-09-2008, 08:20 AM

156 posts, read 787,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
I have lived in Baltimore continously since 1969, except for eight years that I spent overseas between 1980 and 1988, I have been to every corner of this city at all hours. Nothing has ever happened to me. Which isn't saying that something couldn't, considering the Sarah Palin factor -- "life happens."
Ech, you have the whole metropolitan area from which to choose. Do your due diligence and live happily ever after. Hundreds of thousands live in the city and "like the feel of the city."
Wow! That's really saying something. "Every corner of the city at all hours." You are either a very intimidating person or very lucky. Either way, I'm glad you've had such a pleasant time in Baltimore. Unfortunately that expereince doesn't comport with most folks I know.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:23 PM

258 posts, read 1,011,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimore's best View Post
Beware. A friend of mine was robbed last week on S. Collington near Gough (Butchers Hill area). Guy approached and showed a gun, demanded money and then fled. He was caught down by Broadway and Eastern. I've lived in Upper Fells for three years and virtually everyone I know has been robbed in the neighborhoods surrounding Canton Sq. and Fells. Google Zach Sowers. I suggest somewhere like Severna Park, Arnold, Crofton. You don't really want the feel of this city.
I have lived here for 3 years and have never experienced crime myself. Kind of odd all of these people you know have experienced such horrific crimes in every neighborhood of this city.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:31 PM

41 posts, read 182,875 times
I live in West Baltimore....closer to Gwynn Falls Park...and I must say, this area is wonderful! The prices are moderate, the neighborhood is pretty orderly and very nice. The houses are gorgeous and have tons of charachter...we're right next to a beautiful park and only 10 minutes from downtown and 5 minutes from the commuter trains. We've lived here for almost a year and we've never had any problems with our neighbors, our cars, etc. Sometimes we've even accidently left our basement door open when we leave and have come back to find everything exactly as it was. I know people say "ooh west baltimore, so bad. blah blah" but you really are doing yourself a disservice if you don't check it out for yourself....I would move here again in a heartbeat!

Old 09-09-2008, 02:11 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,600,083 times
Patterson Park over three years now. Not one problem with me, car, or home. I guess it's the luck of the draw. The same argument can be extended to practically every neighborhood in every city in the country. A friend of mine's car was broken into in Capital Hill of DC: doesn't stop her from living there. I'll take my chances in the city. It is so much more rewarding than most of the surrounding burbs. Many of them have the same issues as the city without the convenience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore