Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2009, 06:10 AM

805 posts, read 2,116,093 times

Advertisements

I just got $50 violation for trash not being sealed in trashcans in the alley behind my house. On the particular day the violation is for no one in my house put out trash. I also haven't received a warning before.

Looking at the Baltimore Housing site (Welcome to Baltimore Housing) homeowners are responsible to keep a portion (ridiculous) of the alley clean. I have been doing this when I have noticed trash because it doesn't look good but the neighbors keep putting trashcans & trash in my portion of the alley.

I have been putting the trash back on their portion of the alley and taking empty trashcans that are left in my portion of the alley. I do not like moving their trash and keeping their trashcans. I do not want to constantly check the alley and also cannot all the time because I work.

At first I was thinking about fighting the violation but feel that I will just waste my time because I guess I'm responsible for my portion of the alley. I'm not sure how to stop this in the future (I'll check the alley everyday) but am thinking of setting up a camera so I can report people for illegal dumping. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 03:45 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,600,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboltonman View Post
I just got $50 violation for trash not being sealed in trashcans in the alley behind my house. On the particular day the violation is for no one in my house put out trash. I also haven't received a warning before.

Looking at the Baltimore Housing site (Welcome to Baltimore Housing) homeowners are responsible to keep a portion (ridiculous) of the alley clean. I have been doing this when I have noticed trash because it doesn't look good but the neighbors keep putting trashcans & trash in my portion of the alley.

I have been putting the trash back on their portion of the alley and taking empty trashcans that are left in my portion of the alley. I do not like moving their trash and keeping their trashcans. I do not want to constantly check the alley and also cannot all the time because I work.

At first I was thinking about fighting the violation but feel that I will just waste my time because I guess I'm responsible for my portion of the alley. I'm not sure how to stop this in the future (I'll check the alley everyday) but am thinking of setting up a camera so I can report people for illegal dumping. Any suggestions?

Fight the fine. Just say to them what you have written here. I have found them to be reasonable. Bring some pics along to back yourself up. Probably someone called the complaint in for the city to become aware of it.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:51 AM

8,244 posts, read 13,364,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboltonman View Post

WOW.. some of the rules of City Life seem strange though I can see why they would be necessary..Strange that they would pick on you... what happens to the trash behind a vacant home on the block?? Do they do fine those owners or file liens against properties where the city has to go in and clean up?I hope the answer is YES, but I cant say for sure. I see blocks and blocks of vacant homes with trash strewn alleys.. and wonder who is responsible and how are they being held accountable. I was told that homeowners are required to plow your sidewalk in front of your home.. I believe most people do this just for personal convenience..never knew it was a requirement????

Old 01-27-2009, 04:11 PM

805 posts, read 2,116,093 times
I think that they decided to give me a violation because my property is a multi-family; however, only family is living in the building so it's not just a regular tenant throwing his trash out.

I'm really surprised that I wouldn't get a warning first but the city is money hungry.

I would really like to fight it but taking off work is going to be a pain.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:38 PM

757 posts, read 2,554,781 times
There was an article in the City Paper a few weeks ago about the city cracking down on people putting out trash not in a can. However, it said that the inspectors were actually going through the bags to look for evidence (mail) to prove that they were citing the proper person and to avoid a situation like yours.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:01 PM

60 posts, read 223,256 times
It is required by law that you shovel the sidewalk in front of your house.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:43 AM

234 posts, read 1,063,137 times
I would pay it and get to know your local code enforcer. These folks can really help clean up a neighborhood.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:08 AM

8,244 posts, read 13,364,466 times
Saw on the news where the City may go to one day garbage collection and provide the actual trash can. The cans would "standardize" the placement of garbage on the curb which now is a combination of various types of trash cans, no can, or simply trash dumped on the curb. This presumably would reduce rats by securing everyones trash in a 100 plus gallon can.. and also free up sanitation workers to police and clean alleys.. We'll see if it goes through....

Old 02-06-2009, 06:30 AM

689 posts, read 3,216,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Saw on the news where the City may go to one day garbage collection and provide the actual trash can. The cans would "standardize" the placement of garbage on the curb which now is a combination of various types of trash cans, no can, or simply trash dumped on the curb. This presumably would reduce rats by securing everyones trash in a 100 plus gallon can.. and also free up sanitation workers to police and clean alleys.. We'll see if it goes through....
They did this in DC when I still lived there -- every household received a "supercan" and a recycling bin. I think it was pretty effective, at least in my neighborhood. We had trash pickup two days a week, though. I don't think one day a week would have worked well.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:29 PM

915 posts, read 3,181,149 times
i say good for them...we need more enforcer that going around and fine the folks that violated the law
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: