Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 06:15 AM

226 posts, read 979,428 times

Advertisements

yeah I've seen several of these abandoned and or vacant homes that have been stapled with cardboard/boxes on its doors/windows. What happened to these? Did the owners just leave? Did crime become out of control and is still out of control that home owners just left? Did a hurricane hit BAWLMER? Who owns these abandoned properties? I'd like to get ahold of one and probably fix it. I heard prices as low as $1? Is this a joke? The most realistic price I've heard were around 15K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 08:23 AM

866 posts, read 2,627,447 times
The dollar home program was in the 1970s (possibly late 1960s?). Houses in Barre Circle (and also maybe Pigtown and Otterbein?) were available for just $1. The buyer had to agree to live there and rehab the house. The program turned out to be extremely popular, and so many people were interested that they had to hold a lottery to determine who would get to buy the houses. It was a giant step towards revitalizing the areas bordering downtown.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:06 PM

226 posts, read 979,428 times
[SIZE=2]this is all good to know, but I'd like to know more about the now, not 4-5 decades ago. there are still an over abundance of abandoned homes in the city. I'd like to get one of these and fix it, if the price is right.
[/SIZE]

Old 02-14-2008, 05:38 AM

866 posts, read 2,627,447 times
I'm not aware of any special programs right now for selling vacant homes, but yes, there are many abandoned homes on the market. You can go to any real estate website and search in Baltimore for the price ranges you're interested in. Most of them require that you sign a waiver before entering them because they need so much work.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:44 AM

45 posts, read 221,920 times
Default Not Going to Happen

My understanding is that most of the abandoned homes be long to out of state real estate speculators. Presumably, they are waiting for Baltimore to become New York so they can sell the land under the houses. I think this is something that deserves legislative action.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:08 PM

757 posts, read 2,553,457 times
The link below has some info on the city's project 5000 initiative, where attorneys have donated their time to help the city gain title to a large number of vacant properties.

rgk1500 is right; a lot of the houses are owned by out-of-state speculators. Unfortunately, it's been a good investment. Even abandoned shells in bad neighborhoods have significantly risen in value. I think the owners of many others grew old and passed away, and their heirs had moved away and had no interest in going through the trouble of selling them, so they let them rot.

Developer Opportunities (http://www.baltimorehousing.org/index/Opportunities.asp - broken link)

Old 02-17-2008, 07:28 AM

315 posts, read 1,300,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgk1500 View Post
My understanding is that most of the abandoned homes be long to out of state real estate speculators. Presumably, they are waiting for Baltimore to become New York so they can sell the land under the houses. I think this is something that deserves legislative action.
They've got a long wait.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:20 PM

10 posts, read 62,294 times
if you've found a home for under 20K in baltimore I hope you use the other 100k to purchase an extensive security entourage, guns, a tetanus shot, and perhaps body condoms might be a good idea too. Just a thought... I know you can get some row homes in not so great areas of the city for around 60K at auction, but when I've talked to people that live in the same neighborhoods, they've told me don't come down here after dark.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:10 AM

60 posts, read 290,537 times
A friend of mine bought a rowhome for 30K in a bad area of Baltimore and has fixed it up and loves the inside. But since he moved he can no longer leave the house at night, or come home after dark. His car has also been vandalized 4 times. He has lived there for 4 months.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:03 AM

315 posts, read 1,300,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRB97 View Post
A friend of mine bought a rowhome for 30K in a bad area of Baltimore and has fixed it up and loves the inside. But since he moved he can no longer leave the house at night, or come home after dark. His car has also been vandalized 4 times. He has lived there for 4 months.
How long before we have some "blame the victim" posts? Don't you know you shouldn't buy a house in a bad part of the city? It's all your friend's fault! By the way he shouldn't have a car either. What's this guy thinking? Fixing up an old house in a bad neighborhood and owning a car, he deserves what he gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore