Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 03:02 PM

8 posts, read 34,098 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Sorry for another apartment/housing thread, but I'm trying to arrange a cross-country move and could use some advice. I'm starting my PhD at Hopkins in the fall and plan on signing a lease on an apartment around August 1st, hopefully. I'm living in the Bay Area in California currently, so I'm planning on spending a few days in Baltimore in early/late July to look at places to rent.

What are the best resources for apartment hunting? Even in the Bay Area, where Craigslist is very popular, I'd say it covers maybe 75% of the market - the rest are advertised in newspapers, and surprisingly, some only put 'for rent' signs in the windows and do nothing else. Does anyone know how well-utilized Craigslist is in Baltimore? That is, when I look for apartments there, how many of the available places in a given area am I seeing? This is important because if it turns out it'd behoove me to spend some time walking around a neighborhood looking for signs, I'll need to plan my trip to be a little longer. Similarly, do you find that places listed in newspapers aren't on Craigslist or anywhere else?

I suppose my questions really come down to how useful the internet is in my situation, opposed to actually being there to take care of things. I relied solely on Craigslist when I moved to Oakland, only to find that a significant chunk of the market just wasn't available to me unless I were to have spent some time walking around or finding local bulletin boards. Sorry if my questions are too specific, but I want to be sure I'm making the most of any time spent in Baltimore before I move.

I'm interested in living in the Mount Vernon neighborhood, if that helps. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 03:13 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,600,083 times
The Baltimore City Paper is an option: Baltimore City Paper

The Mt. Vernon Web Site: Mt.Vernon Cultural District : Home

If it is a PhD for Medical, you may want to consider Butchers Hill or Patterson Park. They are both convenient to the Medical Center. There is a metro stop at the Medical Center which would help for Mt. Vernon. They also offer bus service for their students/faculty. My niece attended and lived in Patterson Park with no complaints or car.
Of course, you could contact the housing department at Hopkins also.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:22 PM

8 posts, read 34,098 times
Thanks for the advice and the City Paper link - I wasn't aware of that resource.

My program is at the Homewood campus. I have nothing against Charles Village or Hampden, but I've found that I appreciate a bit of a buffer zone between school and home. Even if location had nothing to do with it, I think Mount Vernon would still be my favorite neighborhood.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:05 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,600,083 times
Mt Vernon is a short distance to the Homewood campus. Good choice.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:04 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,825 times
Hopkins provides a free shuttle bus (for its students and employees) that runs from Homewood to the medical campus, and it stops in Mount Vernon (right by the Peabody Conservatory).

Craig's list will have listings for apartments in Mount Vernon. Start from there.

The better blocks are on St. Paul, around the Monument, Cathedral/Park on the community's western side, and the east-west cross streets. St. Paul has a large apartment building (1960s modern) that's popular with Hopkins students and young professionals.

Charles Street north of the Monument is a bit sketchy at night given that it attracts a lot of partygoers. Walking a few blocks to St. Paul is terrific, but living directly on it is another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHUgrad View Post
Thanks for the advice and the City Paper link - I wasn't aware of that resource.

My program is at the Homewood campus. I have nothing against Charles Village or Hampden, but I've found that I appreciate a bit of a buffer zone between school and home. Even if location had nothing to do with it, I think Mount Vernon would still be my favorite neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore