Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 10:54 PM

13 posts, read 50,708 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am travelling down from Boston to see a O's/Sox series in late July/early August.(I know what your thinking..NOT ANOTHER BOSTON FAN). It is my first time down to Baltimore and I was just looking for suggestions for a couple different things. First....what is a good area to look for a hotel in? Trying to find a close and safe area, inner harbor is just way too expensive to stay in. Also, what are some must see places, attractions, bars,restaurants, museums, etc..

Thank you for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 01:03 PM

34 posts, read 101,524 times
Relax- that was outside of a "gentleman's club". If that's not where you're going, just pay attention to your surroundings... no different than any other city.

There's a great B&B over in Butchers Hill, which isn't in the Inner Harbor, but is not impossibly far. I put my parents up there about a year ago and was impressed by the rooms and the service. I don't know how the prices compare to your budget, but it's kind of off the beaten path, and in a nice part of town. Baltimore Bed and Breakfast, Inner Harbor, Baltimore lodging, Maryland (http://www.bluedoorbaltimore.com/site/ - broken link)

Must see.... Ft. McHenry, definitely. Fells Point for dinner/drinks/shopping. Also lots of restaurants in Canton, as well as along Charles Street in downtown. Harbor East is very uber-yuppie, with prices to match. Not my favorite.

I like the Baltimore Museum of Art and the Walters Gallery, but the American Visionary Art Museum is also top-notch. Of course, everyone will be at the Aquarium, and it's quite crowded, but still....

have fun!

Summer

Old 05-29-2009, 01:47 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdog View Post
Best advice: Keep your head down.

Man, 32, fatally shot near Camden Yards, police say
Incident at corner of Eutaw, Lombard streets one of two overnight city killings
By Justin Fenton | justin.fenton@baltsun.com
12:53 PM EDT, May 28, 2009
A 32-year-old man died after he was shot multiple times early Thursday morning two blocks from Oriole Park at Camden Yards, police said, one of two fatal overnight shootings in the city as violence continues to surge in Baltimore following a recent lull.
Plus, I believe this occured like at 3 in the morning or something like that. It was an argument between two guys who knew one another.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:49 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,064 times
As a sports fan, you'll want to check out the Sports Legends Museum (located in the old B&O Train Station next to the ballpark and warehouse) and Babe Ruth's Birthplace (only a couple blocks west of the ballpark). If you have an interest in trains, the B&O Museum is also near the ballpark, a handful of blocks to the west.

Neighborhood-wise, I'd recommend Fells Point (east of Inner Harbor) and Mount Vernon (immediately north of downtown).

Old 05-30-2009, 01:08 AM

773 posts, read 2,631,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer_G View Post
There's a great B&B over in Butchers Hill, which isn't in the Inner Harbor, but is not impossibly far. I put my parents up there about a year ago and was impressed by the rooms and the service. I don't know how the prices compare to your budget, but it's kind of off the beaten path, and in a nice part of town. Baltimore Bed and Breakfast, Inner Harbor, Baltimore lodging, Maryland (http://www.bluedoorbaltimore.com/site/ - broken link)
Here is a pic of the above Blue Door in Baltimore bed and breakfast at 2023 East Baltimore Street:

http∶//maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=2023+East+Bal timore+Street+Baltimore&sll=41.794402,-88.080305&sspn=0.141291,0.282898&ie=UTF8&ll=39.292 279,-76.58829&spn=0.002292,0.00442&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbl l=39.291753,-76.588216&panoid=nDe2-SYMO86tv4otiiLXBA&cbp=12,211.25,,0,5

If they had secure off-street parking, I'd be tempted to try it myself sometime. I grew up just a few blocks east of there (unit block of Luzerne Ave). But I will not leave my car with Illinois plates on the street overnight in that part of town. I usually stay at a motel in Hunt Valley.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:54 AM

805 posts, read 2,115,268 times
try Reviews of vacations, hotels, resorts, vacation and travel packages - TripAdvisor

On that site I found Hampton Inn Baltimore - Camden yards and it looks like it will cost around $130/night. The location and price seem good to me.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:35 PM

99 posts, read 328,852 times
Best bet for reasonable hotel/motel along I-95 & i-695 corrider. Good info would be to call AAA Mid-Atlantic for rates and ratings. Good attractions are Inner Harbor, Little Italy and Fort Mchenry.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:57 AM

34 posts, read 101,524 times
They actually do have a couple of spots behind the inn, but I think you have to reserve one when you make your room reservation. I remember seeing them when I toured.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:47 PM

8 posts, read 34,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
But I will not leave my car with Illinois plates on the street overnight in that part of town.
Sorry to derail, but do you think that there's an increased theft/break-in risk for a car with out-of-state license plates? I ask because I was planning on keeping my California plates and getting a non-resident registration sticker since I'll be eligible to get one, but I might rethink that if I'm putting my car at risk.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:17 AM

773 posts, read 2,631,136 times
The reasoning is that an out-of-state license plate may indicate a tourist who is not as street-smart as a local, and who may leave valuables (presents, gifts, etc.) in his trunk, rather than drag them into his motel or B&B. Many trunks can be opened from inside a car with the pull of a lever, unless the trunk lever is key-locked, which few people take the time to do. That's the reasoning here regarding out-of-state license plates. Maybe thieves in Baltimore don't reason that way.

I may be naïve, but I don't think Baltimore is as dangerous as it is purported to be. I visited my mom several times a year when she lived in the unit block of Luzerne Ave until she died in 1986, and I felt the neighborhood was about as safe as when I left it 20 years earlier. At the time I was living at 31st & State on the south side of Chicago, a stones throw from old Comiskey Park; my mom would have been aghast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: