Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 07:11 PM

20 posts, read 52,887 times

Advertisements

Hi I plan to relocate to Maryland next year, but I need some informatio. I want to obtain some sort of weekend job while I'm in school now. I'm a fulltime student here in Pa, but plan to go to school here and work there. I don't mind the commute every weekend.
I want to know where's a good place to start looking to work as a Licensed Practical Nurse? Where's a good place to live or rent a room every weekend. I'm doing this so that I will know the city before I graduate from school. If anyone can help me or even suggest anything helpful I would truly appreciate it. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 03:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,793 times
My best advice: Baltimore is a dangerous place....Stay in PA!! Drugs are rampant even in the nicest areas. People get mugged by gun point daily. The police do little to nothing. Its a hostile place and people are very complacent. Not a good place to move to. Alot of mental disorders walking around too.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:26 AM

80 posts, read 277,797 times
I would also discourage you from moving within the city limits but there are many nice neighborhoods that border the city. For instance, Howard County (10 minute drive from Baltimore) has only had one murder so far this year which was the result of an altercation between 2 senior citizens at a retirement home.

As far as weekend work, it helps to know what field you are in but to be perfectly honest jobs are scarce all over the state of Maryland so it'll be tough to find anything. Try careerbuilder.com to see what's available. From my experience, most employers will post there when they have an opening.

Best of luck!

Old 08-25-2009, 03:27 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,600,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmanitmonee View Post
Hi I plan to relocate to Maryland next year, but I need some informatio. I want to obtain some sort of weekend job while I'm in school now. I'm a fulltime student here in Pa, but plan to go to school here and work there. I don't mind the commute every weekend.
I want to know where's a good place to start looking to work as a Licensed Practical Nurse? Where's a good place to live or rent a room every weekend. I'm doing this so that I will know the city before I graduate from school. If anyone can help me or even suggest anything helpful I would truly appreciate it. Thanks again.
Did you contact Hopkins? I would think their personnal office could answer your questions. Craigslist may be a good option for renting a couple days of week. There are plenty of decent neighborhoods to look at. A lot would depend on where your employment would be.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:57 AM

7 posts, read 23,876 times
If your looking to work in Baltimore city on the weekends, you could get some per diem work at Baltimore Crisis Response, Inc. (mentally ill, homeless, substance abuse, ). I used to work there and recently heard from an old co-worker that she had to work on the weekends because they needed people. You see alot of interesting scenerios, I do not regret the experience I had there. They do hire LPN's, but I'm not sure if they work on the weekends. Be sure that you do not go to the Baltimore County Crisis Response website...they are two different entities...good luck...

Baltimore can be a dangerous place...and there are alot of mentally disturbed people here...but they are everywhere...

Old 08-25-2009, 05:24 AM

8 posts, read 47,394 times
Dont do it! I just relocated here myself. Taxes are ridiculously high and the area is quite dangerous. Im talking mad max dangerous.

Quote:

Old 08-25-2009, 09:49 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses, what are the suburbs like?

Old 08-25-2009, 10:59 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,842 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your responses, what are the suburbs like?
In a word, boring. In two words, boring and congested.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:34 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,559,734 times
Suburbs of Baltimore are a lot like the suburbs around Philly... the two cities are very similar.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:39 PM

Thanks to everyone again, I live in a suburb right outside of philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore