Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 08:44 AM

805 posts, read 2,114,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlieQ View Post
Thanks for your suggestions! I'm trying to stay at $800/month or less, and Mount Vernon/Bolton Hill/Towson seem a little high. Any more affordable areas? Or is this "welcome to the East Coast"?
You should be able to fine something for $800 or less. Try craigslist:
baltimore apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Just make sure the place is actually in the area that you want it to be because some landlords with a place in a bad area will say that the place is in the adjacent nice area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 10:21 AM

773 posts, read 2,630,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Many single women live in Patterson Park/Butchers Hill/Upper Fells Point and feel just as safe as folks in Towson. A crime against a woman can happen anywhere.
That simply is not true. There is more crime in Baltimore City than in Towson, Lutherville, Timonium, etc. Everyone knows that.
http://crimebaltimore.com/

Old 01-10-2010, 11:55 AM

Comparing the whole city to the whole county isn't a good comparison. Comparing different areas in the city to county give a much better picture.

Baltimore county has crime too.
Crime Statistics By Regional Planning District All

Baltimore County by area 2008:

So the total crimes in Towson are 4,142 and the population was 51,793 according to the 2000 census. So your chances are 1 in 12 of being part of a crime as a rough rough estimate.

City Census info:
Baltimore City NSA Demographic Profiles

Crime website
Baltimore Crime Map - Showing Crime in Baltimore, MD - Crime Statistics - Crime Alerts - Crime Stops Here
It would be better to know crimes by neighborhoods

So for my neighborhood (Bolton Hill) the population is 5,290 according to the 2000 census and the total crimes are 16. So your chances are 1 in 330 of being part of a crime as a rough rough estimate.

The estimates are definitely extremely rough but give a better picture than comparing the city to the county.

Last edited by knoxgarden; 01-13-2010 at 11:48 PM.. Reason: do not post copyright material, only provide the link

Old 01-10-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboltonman View Post
So your chances are 1 in 12 of being part of a crime [in Towson].
Are you saying 1 in 12 Towsonites are the victim of a crime every year? I find that very hard to believe. Why, then, are people not fleeing Towson in droves for life in the city? Homes in Towson should be selling for peanuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboltonman View Post
So for my neighborhood (Bolton Hill) the population is 5,290 according to the 2000 census and the total crimes are 16. So your chances are 1 in 330 of being part of a crime as a rough estimate.
I don't know where you got your statistic of 16 crimes in Bolton Hill. There certainly appears to be many more than 16 crimes in the Bolton Hill area for the two month period shown in the crime map.

If you're saying that the crime rate in Towson is 330/12 or 2,750% greater than it is in Bolton Hill, then I'd say that's baloney. Those are your numbers — I wouldn't have the hutzpa to make them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by are you kidinme? View Post
Your first sentence mentions safety (with an exclamation point). You also state you'd rather be in the 'burbs. I think for a single 20 year old female this is a great plan. Stay with what makes you comfortable. A short commute is meaningless if you're living in fear. Towson is great ...
For the first time, I have to agree with are you kidinme?

Let's be honest with the young lady from St. Louis. Baltimore is an exciting city with lots of bars in which to hang out, if hanging out is what she is into. But the suburbs north of Baltimore are definitely safer.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:01 PM

The period of time for Bolton Hill was 2 months which was my mistake so let's multiply the 16 by 6 so that's 96 for the year. That would be 1/55.

I'm not trying to make up anything by painting a false picture by just using crime for the entire city to represent neighborhoods as you did.

I'm using data to make my calculations and you can do the same. I posted all the resources so check my numbers/calculations!

I'll mention it again so you don't have a cow, the calculations are extremely rough but are an attempt to determine the likelihood or chances of being a victim based on area population and reported crimes.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:30 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
The Baltimore metro area can be deceiving. People automatically assume safe=burbs and non-safe=city. That is a misconception as there are some safer areas in the city than some areas in the burbs. Yes, as a whole, the city is not as safe but there are neighborhoods in the city that could definitely compete with many burb areas for safety.
The young lady is from St Louis which has a higher crime rate than Baltimore. I am sure she is smart enough to figure out which areas in the city would be fine. And for her hours of working 8-5 at Hopkins Hospital, there is no reason why she should not want to live in the southeast side.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
The young lady is from St Louis which has a higher crime rate than Baltimore. I am sure she is smart enough to figure out which areas in the city would be fine.
She is also smart enough to prefer living in the 'burbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlieQ View Post
Hi!

I'm moving to Baltimore from St. Louis for a 1-year internship at JHH. I'm a female in my 20s and will be by myself, so safety is important! ... I'd rather be in the 'burbs than the city ...

Towson/Lutherville/Rodger's Forge sound nice, and I will have a car, but it'd be nice to not worry about sitting in traffic and paying for parking at JHH.
Good choices. There is plenty of FREE parking (try that in Chicago) at Light Rail stops in Timonium and Lutherville.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀☛⠀⠀http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/lightrail/parking/ (broken link)

Transfer from Light Rail to Subway downtown and you are at JHH in about 40 min. And transit fares in Baltimore are ridiculously low by Chicago standards.

There is plenty of shopping and fine restaurants in Towson, and you will have peace of mind living there.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:40 AM

This city vs. burbs thing boils down to personal choice. For me, if a person is working in the city for eight hours a day along with a hefty commute in and out of it, it makes no sense to live in the burbs. I feel quite comfortable walking to work saving on wear and tear of the automobile along with rising gas prices (once again). Crime is a factor to acknowledge but that crime could occur at anytime; not just for folks living in the city. It could occur while out at a club. It could occur while commuting by transit. It could occur while in the car. It could occur while walking to the car from work or from home. Sorry, I'll take my chances and stay in the city where it hasn't happened.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
This city vs. burbs thing boils down to personal choice.
Of course it is a personal choice. The lady said she preferred the suburbs.

Quote:
For me, if a person is working in the city for eight hours a day along with a hefty commute in and out of it, it makes no sense to live in the burbs. I feel quite comfortable walking to work saving on wear and tear of the automobile along with rising gas prices.
I gave an explicit example of how one could live in the Lutherville/Timonium area and have an easy, inexpensive, and short commute with peace of mind on electric rail between there and Hopkins Hospitals.

Quote:
Sorry, I'll take my chances and stay in the city where [crime] hasn't happened [to me yet.]
Consider yourself lucky.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
Of course it is a personal choice. The lady said she preferred the suburbs.

I gave an explicit example of how one could live in the Lutherville/Timonium area and have an easy, inexpensive, and short commute with peace of mind on electric rail between there and Hopkins Hospitals.

Consider yourself lucky.

Read her statements again. She mentioned she was looking into Mt. Vernon and Bolton Hill in one statement and she also prefaced her original statement by stating she would think about city living.

That "easy"commute you mention from Lutherville/Timonium is not so easy. It would require driving to the park and ride and then transfering at some point to the metro to get to Hopkins. Walking to Hopkins from the southeast side is much easier and many do just that without issue. Also, peace of mind on the light rail???? Not always!

In terms of considering myself lucky living in the city; I do. But, I would consider myself lucky if living in burbia and not having any issues with the commute or otherwise.

Hey, if the chick wants to live in the burbs, she should go for it. I am saying there are alternatives to that which I personally prefer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore