Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 01:25 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,473,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie_P View Post
I would consider flying. Cats don't handle stress well and a trip that long could be a lot to take. I flew a cat here from Hawaii which was about a 11 hour flight. She handled it surprisingly well and I didn't have to sedate her. A flight to Oregon is relatively short, may be worth looking in to. The only catch is that you would probably only be able to take one cat as a carry on and the others would be cargo
No way would I put any pet as cargo. If she only had one pet, then I'd tell her to have the cat/dog as carry on and fly to OR.

You can do it! I went cross country many times in my life starting when I was younger with pets and it's doable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 06:05 PM

3 posts, read 5,086 times
Default Drove from Denver to Baltimore last year

I drove with my husband and parents from Denver to Baltimore last year, with three cats in tow, ages 8, 10 and 11. One has fairly serious heart disease, so I was pretty worried about the trip.

It wasn't easy or fun, but we did it! I bought three medium-sized dog crates, one for each cat, so they would have more headroom than in a standard carrier. These are also more open, which allows better ventilation. We drove out in August, so I was worried about them overheating. We have two small sedans, so two cats in their crates went in one car, and one in the other. They each had water, a tiny bowl of dry food (which none of them ate), a fabric-covered foam cushion and a small litter box made out of a shoebox lid lined with a plastic grocery bag. I also put our fridge thermometers in each car (they just hung from the crates) so I could make sure they didn't get too hot. I also covered the rear windows (not the rear windshield, obviously) with paper to keep the sun out and to help prevent motion sickness. With the AC on, they stayed very comfortable, although they didn't like air blowing directly on them.

Only one cat used the litterbox, the other two just held it while in the car. For our sanity, we got the cats their own hotel room for each night on the road, so they could be unconfined and relax a bit. If you normally sleep with your cats in your room, you won't have to do this.

One of my cats got pretty carsick, so we had to give him Dramamine on days two and three, which helped tremendously, but was difficult to administer. It must be very bitter or something. Our vet advised us NOT to use tranquilizers, as they can cover up signs of distress. She also gave us an appetite stimulant to use if any of the cats stopped eating. Cats can develop a very serious and often fatal liver disease if they go more than 48 hours without eating. All of mine ate wet food once they got into the hotel, so no need to use the stimulant.

By day three, the cats were really over being confined and hauled in and out of hotel rooms. If your drive is going to be five days, you might want to stay two nights at a stop halfway through, just to give them a break from the car (and you too!). And I REALLY recommend investing in some crates instead of carriers. Cats can't sit up or stand in standard carriers, so they'd be pretty uncomfortable. I also liked that I could see them much more easily through the crates than through the carriers. It let me check them quickly and ease my worried mind!

Keep in mind that most airlines don't allow pets at all, and the ones that do only allow one pet per passenger, so you'd probably have to buy three seats to fly your cats in the cabin. I would never put my pets in cargo, I would worry constantly.

Good luck!

Old 05-11-2011, 09:06 PM

106 posts, read 319,408 times
We drive w 3 cats in car. Have finally gotten to bringing litter box in to rest area rest rooms. Cats wont use box in car. We also use cat leash to walk them but they wont go potty while on leash.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:09 PM

106 posts, read 319,408 times
Pet stores are friendly places to stop along the way if your cats need a break and you are desperate.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:47 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
No way would I put any pet as cargo. If she only had one pet, then I'd tell her to have the cat/dog as carry on and fly to OR.

You can do it! I went cross country many times in my life starting when I was younger with pets and it's doable.
do u have a smartphone then GOOGLE NAVIGATION
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: