Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 04:05 AM

55 posts, read 99,632 times

Advertisements

I can't seem to find any affordable ones on craigslist or rental sites to find affordable apartments for rent in Baltimore.

I also notice the "all utilities included" apartments is sort of rare. There's always places for rent that you have to pay separate utilities along with the rent. I think the place could get a better deal from utility companies if they used their services for their "bulk" tenants. It's practical I think. Any good sites to find rent or should I wander around and see "postings" outside buildings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 08:53 AM

239 posts, read 760,038 times
The rental sites (apartments.com, rent.com, etc.) are useless for Baltimore I've found.

Hotpads.com is my favorite. It's an interactive map that lets you zoom in any neighborhood.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:00 AM

43 posts, read 141,405 times
A lot of the people that post on craigslist will own several buildings and have more than just the one apartment/house for rent.

Walking around, you will see for rent signs also.

2 birds with one stone: find someone on CL to show you their places and while you're there walk a few blocks looking for signs.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:30 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,407,468 times
As an LL, I never post For Rent signs on rental property. I think it's tacky. There may be some places that you can only find online and vice versa. If I were looking again, I would:
1. Check Apartments.com - The big complexes advertise here and they have specials.
2. Check baltimore.craigslist.org - Many Baltimore landlords and even complexes use this site.
3. Check the JHU off campus website - LOL I think it's just for students but there are nice complexes listed. Offcampus: Commercially Owned Properties: Mount Vernon ***
IMO JHU seems to pre-screen and the apts listed are probably where you would enjoy living.

OMG I just looked and the Cathedral Court Apts have utilities included!

Once you have a list, use your GPS and/or Google Maps and drive around and look during the week and on weekends. Just to get a feel for what kind of ppl are living there. Long ago, that's how I found my apt.

Good luck on your search. * You can pick any neighborhood lised, I just posted the Mt. Vernon link.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:43 PM

36 posts, read 92,858 times
Google maps has a good feature to get you started. Simply enter "Rentals in Mount Vernon, baltimore, MD". I've found it to be helpful.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:13 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,574,838 times
In my experience, craigslist is the best source however walking/driving around will help you pick up a few additional places not listed online.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:08 AM

569 posts, read 1,443,266 times
Zillow also has rentals.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:35 AM

55 posts, read 99,632 times
thanks. None of these places you linked have their rent prices easily available. That usually means they are expensive when they're not upfront with their prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
As an LL, I never post For Rent signs on rental property. I think it's tacky. There may be some places that you can only find online and vice versa. If I were looking again, I would:
1. Check Apartments.com - The big complexes advertise here and they have specials.
2. Check baltimore.craigslist.org - Many Baltimore landlords and even complexes use this site.
3. Check the JHU off campus website - LOL I think it's just for students but there are nice complexes listed. Offcampus: Commercially Owned Properties: Mount Vernon ***
IMO JHU seems to pre-screen and the apts listed are probably where you would enjoy living.

OMG I just looked and the Cathedral Court Apts have utilities included!

Once you have a list, use your GPS and/or Google Maps and drive around and look during the week and on weekends. Just to get a feel for what kind of ppl are living there. Long ago, that's how I found my apt.

Good luck on your search. * You can pick any neighborhood lised, I just posted the Mt. Vernon link.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:11 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,407,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moov View Post
thanks. None of these places you linked have their rent prices easily available. That usually means they are expensive when they're not upfront with their prices.
Not necessarily. They probably don't list the prices so that they have freedom to alter the price based on the circumstances. Just call them and ask for the prices. Also ask:
1. Do they have any specials.
2. What utilities you will have to pay.

The rents are between about 650 and 900 for a studio or 1BR and probably under 1600 for a 2br.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:38 PM

23 posts, read 64,091 times
We just got an apartment here, and I did tons of research online (rent.com, apartments.com, forrent.com, apartmentratings.com) and didn't like any of the places I searched months for. The pictures online are completely different from what you see driving around.

We finally found a place on the last day of our apartment search, and we found it by driving around the neighborhood both during the day and at night. We found it to be the perfect place for us.

Our apartment includes just one of the utilities (water), but they gave us great sign-on bonuses like a free flat screen TV and a free month of rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: