Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 07:59 PM

2 posts, read 10,773 times

Advertisements

Hello, everybody,

I am thinking about moving to Orono. I have done some research and have not got very useful information until I came here.

If anyone happens to live Orono or Bangor, Could you give me some more detailed information about the life there.

Orono has a long winter, I wonder what kinds of outdoor activities I can do.

For spring, it is muddy and a lot of mosquito in summer. The small flies could be a very big issue for my wife.

I also read a bunch of negative comments from students about University of Maine, Orono (I would work there. ) . Something like it is boring, difficult to make firends. I am really hesitating after I read this.

Could any local people there give me some suggestions?

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 09:56 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
I live near Orono. We like it.

I think that the kids who do not like Orono UM, were expecting a more urban lifestyle. More clubs, more frats, less cops.

Orono offers bike paths, kayaking, hiking, and near-by snow skiing.

Being a small campus town, the locals there have built up a massive PD with 5 times more LEO than a town that size really needs. The LEO get bored so they spend their time busting the kids. It happens, such is life. I did 2 tours of LEO work while in the military, so I am kind of familiar with that scene. I know some of the LEO, so I hear their side of it too.

We have 2 UM professors that live near us, they like it. Near enough to UM that it is handy, yet outside of Orono so we do not have that level of hassle.

I was a vendor at the Orono Farmer's Market for a year. It was neat, some customers would kayak from their homes to the market to get meats, milk, eggs, veggies and fruits.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:23 PM

2 posts, read 10,773 times
thank you so much, forest

Old 07-23-2009, 06:46 AM

740 posts, read 1,881,464 times
I went to Bangor High School and had several friends that went to UMO including my wife. I cannot imagine it being hard to make friends there. I spent many weekends in Orono during my college years and always had a great time. I would recommend the college to anyone from what I have seen. Hockey is huge at UMO, so hockey games are the thing to do in the winter. The college has a large field house, public skating arena and an olympic pool so there is things to do inside during the winter. I am not sure if they still have it but there used to be a bus going to Sunday River ski resort from the college. There are plenty of places to cross country ski and snow shoe. Bangor is pretty close by and there is a large mall and strip malls located right off the highway.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:27 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanometer View Post
thank you so much, forest
Anytime.

Come to the Orono area, tour each community in a 20 mile radius. I am sure that you will find a community that you like [assuming that small towns interest you]. Bangor is close by, though as others will point out, as a 'city' Bangor is small.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:25 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxtrader View Post
I went to Bangor High School and had several friends that went to UMO including my wife. I cannot imagine it being hard to make friends there. I spent many weekends in Orono during my college years and always had a great time. I would recommend the college to anyone from what I have seen. Hockey is huge at UMO, so hockey games are the thing to do in the winter. The college has a large field house, public skating arena and an olympic pool so there is things to do inside during the winter. I am not sure if they still have it but there used to be a bus going to Sunday River ski resort from the college. There are plenty of places to cross country ski and snow shoe. Bangor is pretty close by and there is a large mall and strip malls located right off the highway.

The annual "Bumstock" was always fun...do they still do that?

Here's a link to the town website: http://www.orono.org/
Bangor: http://www.bangormaine.gov/

I always suggest starting at the town/city websites for preliminary research. Reading the minutes for town meetings can also tell you a little about how things are decided.

Last edited by cebdark; 07-23-2009 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: added links

Old 07-23-2009, 02:22 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
UMO is a nice school and it is as easy to make friends there as you want it to be.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:02 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,653,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
The annual "Bumstock" was always fun...do they still do that?

Here's a link to the town website: Home | Town of Orono, Maine
Bangor: Welcome to the City of Bangor

I always suggest starting at the town/city websites for preliminary research. Reading the minutes for town meetings can also tell you a little about how things are decided.
I think they still do it but it isn't like back in the 70s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area