Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 10:32 PM

387 posts, read 607,706 times

Advertisements

...Or is it too small to have anything in the way of neighborhoods(like Oakdale in Portland, or Upper West Side in NYC, etc)? I'm asking because I was browsing around Bangors website, and I started thinking...and I seem to remember a sign that says "Welcome to (Somewhere)", and I can't seem to remember what it said...I don't even remember where I saw it.

SO is there, and maybe you can help me out with that sign I found. I remember seeing a "P"...but that's about it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 11:55 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,155 times
There's little city, fairmount, west side and one other part of town that I have heard used to identify sections of town.Oh and there's Capehart old and new

Old 09-24-2007, 07:01 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Bangor?

Well first is Brewer,
then East hampden,
then Hammond street [or West Bangor],
then Union street to Griffin to Broadway [is a large section of housing[,
then six mile falls,
then Essex and fox hollow,
then Stillwater [not the town of Stillwater rather the section of Bangor],
then the EMMC area,
Broadway Park,
Chapin park,
Coe Park,
Summit park,
Hayford park,
Fairmont park,
Mt Pleasant,
Hussan college.

Really in Maine each town line abuts against a neighboring town, so the minute you cross that line you are in another township. Each town will have sections, but often they are not well defined.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:29 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,098,774 times
I lived in Fairmount and Little City while I lived there. Both are wonderful neighborhoods. Fairmount is the neighborhood you would pass through to get to the golf course, and Little City is the area between Center Street and Kenduskeag Ave. Bangor does a great job of providing neighborhood playgrounds and parks too . I think if you do a google earth thing with Bangor it would give you some idea too.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:02 AM

26 posts, read 115,086 times
What about orono? It looks like a pretty little town- can anyone tell me about it?

Old 09-25-2007, 11:57 AM

Orono is not 'in' Bangor.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:00 PM

lol- I know ...I was just wondering if you have been there - and it looks like it is pretty close to bangor- so I thought you might shed some light on my question.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:22 PM

Yes, I live near Orono, and I am a vendor at the Farmer's Market in Orono. I sell Forest Freerange Eggs, Fiddleheads, and sprouts.

Orono Farmers' Market Home page

Orono is a 'college town'. The college effects everything. Orono/Old Town both maintain a significantly enlarged police force [as compared to all neighboring towns] due to the influx of college students from 'away'. This can be seen as a good thing, or a bad thing. I do see a much higher level of traffic enforcement and police presence in both towns. And the newspaper's "Police Log" routinely reads like a listing of parties that LEO busted up and how many under-age drinkers were arrested.

On the other hand, Orono is known for having a mobile population of higher income residents [college professors, grad students working with grants and doing various research projects, etc].

It is not the peaceful quite do nothing kind of community like Corinth or Lincoln are.

Orono is a small town. Though unlike other near-by small Maine towns, it does support more restaurants, more bars, more shopping, and a higher-class of shopping.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:22 AM

Thanks-

What about jobs in the area? And rentals? We are teetering between Portland (suburbs or in the city) and Orono. I've seen an abundance of new rentals on craigslist in the past month or so and there are so many new and "affordable "apartments all of a sudden that out relocation plans are finally becoming a reality. Are there any "bad" neighborhoods to avoid in either Portland or the Bangor area? We will be moving sight unseen and cannot get out there before we move, so it's vitally important that we get some really good information on the best areas to live in.

We are planning a spring/summer move (fall -at the latest) and we'd need a really clean- cute- pet freindly-(dogs and cats) that is close to public transportation, near a vet's office and not in a flood zone.

Other than that- we're not too picky. (850-1200) rent.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:20 AM

36 posts, read 91,740 times
[/quote]and we'd need a really clean- cute- pet freindly-(dogs and cats) that is close to public transportation, near a vet's office and not in a flood zone.

Other than that- we're not too picky. (850-1200) rent.[/quote]

That sounds like our rental needs! Our dogs are our kids essentially they go and live where we go and live.

Forest - I cannot wait to shop for your eggs at the Farmer's Market!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area