Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 09:45 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,098,129 times

Advertisements

I'm leaning more and more to cancelling... I'm just really questioning the benefit of buying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 10:42 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
The only paper I need is Sunday's. I've got to have my crossword puzzles on Sunday. Otherwise, I don't need it.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:12 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I'm leaning more and more to cancelling... I'm just really questioning the benefit of buying it.
Well, I can see your point. I subscribe to it because I can at least see what's "in the news" - ya know, foolish things like mandating toilet seat covers (and then I can research them further for accuracy). I knew from a "legislative bulletin" I received that public restroom legislation was in the works, but it didn't specify what it was at the time.

Nonetheless, you do have to read between the lines of any publication and/or news show now IMO, because I feel the "slant" of it is largely dependent on the opinion of who's writing it. The days of "unbiased" journalistic integrity are rapidly going away I'm afraid.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:57 AM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,340,619 times
Nonetheless, you do have to read between the lines of any publication and/or news show now IMO, because I feel the "slant" of it is largely dependent on the opinion of who's writing it. The days of "unbiased" journalistic integrity are rapidly going away I'm afraid.

I'm a journalist, reloop, and I can tell you that are DEAD RIGHT! Most of the big time media outlets are owned my people who let their own opinions impact what their outlet is producing. IE, politics in the last few years, Washington and Bush in particular. It's not usually the journalist who is at fault. We get a lot of pressure from the people we have to deal with, and our editors aren't always the most understanding people in the world. And many people don't realize that an editor will sometimes rewrite a section of a story before it goes to print. The person who did the story has no control over it, but it has their name on it, so they take the heat. But in general, from what I've seen of the news these days, it is often slanted and, worse yet, sensationalized to increase sales and ratings.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper1212 View Post
I'm a journalist, reloop, and I can tell you that are DEAD RIGHT! Most of the big time media outlets are owned my people who let their own opinions impact what their outlet is producing. IE, politics in the last few years, Washington and Bush in particular. It's not usually the journalist who is at fault. We get a lot of pressure from the people we have to deal with, and our editors aren't always the most understanding people in the world. And many people don't realize that an editor will sometimes rewrite a section of a story before it goes to print. The person who did the story has no control over it, but it has their name on it, so they take the heat. But in general, from what I've seen of the news these days, it is often slanted and, worse yet, sensationalized to increase sales and ratings.
Well casper, the next time you go to a meeting - for what it's worth - print a copy of my statements and tell them they aren't fooling everyone. I'd venture to say that they aren't fooling most of us, but in today's frenetic world, no one seems to have time to pay it enough attention.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:12 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,340,619 times
Did you know that if you made those statements yourself in a public forum, ie, city council meeting, etc., that a journalist could print them? Where as if you are not what an editor considers a "reliable source," ie, someone who does not work for or have any connection to the city other than as a citizen, whatever you had to say would be disregarded as heresay? People should GO to meetings and hear for themselves what's really going on. People ask me all the time why I don't expose this or print that. If I can't prove it, if someone won't give it to me officially, if I don't see it happen, if my information does not come from a "reliable source," my publication could be subject to a lawsuit. Worse yet, it's hard to tell the whole story in a few paragraphs, and keep the public accurately informed. I do the best that I can, but it's hard to know what's really going on, even when you attend every meeting and talk to officials dailey the way I do. Did. Don't have time to work, with the move so close, so my boss has sort of relieved me of duty.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Did you know that if you made those statements yourself in a public forum, ie, city council meeting, etc., that a journalist could print them? Where as if you are not what an editor considers a "reliable source," ie, someone who does not work for or have any connection to the city other than as a citizen, whatever you had to say would be disregarded as heresay? People should GO to meetings and hear for themselves what's really going on. People ask me all the time why I don't expose this or print that. If I can't prove it, if someone won't give it to me officially, if I don't see it happen, if my information does not come from a "reliable source," my publication could be subject to a lawsuit. Worse yet, it's hard to tell the whole story in a few paragraphs, and keep the public accurately informed. I do the best that I can, but it's hard to know what's really going on, even when you attend every meeting and talk to officials dailey the way I do. Did. Don't have time to work, with the move so close, so my boss has sort of relieved me of duty.
Oh yes, I'm well aware of that - which is why various boards don't like to see me sitting in the audience. Well, unless of course, I'm on their side - in which case, I'm welcome with open arms. Keep doing the best you can with what you've got. At the end of the day, that's all you can do.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:31 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
Quote:

good post casper! i know that bake sales and good news may not drive ratings or push newspapers, but my gawd, it's so difficult to listen to the daily news, on the tv, on the radio or newspaper, reporters seem to report bad news with such glee. the older i get the more im trying to avoid news/tragedy overload.
years ago before the cable 24 hr coverage, it seems reporting was just that, reporting the facts, today, it seems the "media" plays to the applause of there own peers and party politicians(has grown into a monster with an agenda)
i'll give you an example, say 50 of us were in a room, someone asks a question "should illegal aliens automatically be given a drivers license, even if they cant read the road signs?
49 raise there hands, a resounding majority says no, but there's one that doesnt and says, yes,
the reporter would go to that one person that says the rest of us are racists, and there's the headline " Are mainers being racist"? completely slanted and inflammatory.

i respect the fact you are a reporter, something ive always been interested in, however, i wouldnt last long...
thank you for sharing about the editing, very interesting!

Old 02-12-2009, 08:48 PM

227 posts, read 415,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Good for a little oomph in your fireplace or woodstove if needed.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:56 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,098,129 times
lol.... right now the puppy is getting more use out of it than I am!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area