Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 09:30 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

I was given a notice that they are testing now in Bangor.

Paying $13.25/hour plus 50cents a mile for Census takers, Crew Leaders, Leader assistants, Recruiting Assistants, and Clerks.

Call 866-861-2010

The Census Office is at 107 Farm Road in Bangor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 12:36 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Have you had a look at the questions on that thing??? I was given a copy by a neighbor who'd sold his home and no longer felt as if he had to fill it out, as he didn't "live there" any more. Who knows -- maybe he should have filled it out. DW and I looked it over and the questions look too intrusive to us. I recall hearing that there were "just 10 questions" on this one. There are 4-5 times that many! I don't especially care, as we won't be living here for that long, but sheesh!!! That's an awful lot of personal questions! Anyone else feel this way?

Old 02-15-2010, 01:59 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
I have not seen the census this year.

I was only saying that they appear to be hiring.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:20 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
There are two forms. One is the short intrusive form. The other is the really long intrusive from. In our case the answers for both forms are 2 citizens.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:24 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
There are two forms. One is the short intrusive form. The other is the really long intrusive from. In our case the answers for both forms are 2 citizens.

That's all that the constitution requires.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:15 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,827 times
I ran the guy with the GPS out of my place last summer. He said something about having to plug in all the entrances on the street side of my building as prospective habitats.

They tried to interview us last time and were shown the door. Two adult Americans is all they got from us. The Census babe tried to tell me I was required by law to answer all the questions. Ya, right!

Old 02-16-2010, 07:52 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
That's all that the constitution requires.
Actually, in Article 1, Section 2, the Constitution says: "The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct." That means the census was to be taken under rules yet to be passed by the Congress at the time the Constitution was written, but the expectation was that there would be rules. It does not say that answering "Citizen" or"American" will automatically comply with that legislation.

Good luck to you if you fail to comply with Federal laws.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:17 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Actually, in Article 1, Section 2, the Constitution says: "The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct." That means the census was to be taken under rules yet to be passed by the Congress at the time the Constitution was written, but the expectation was that there would be rules. It does not say that answering "Citizen" or"American" will automatically comply with that legislation.

Worked for twenty years.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:34 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times
Quote:

It looks like you can be fined no more than $500.00 for not providing information, or no more than $10,000 for providing false info (at least according to this site).

About.com: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/13/7/II/221

Either way, in reality, it's not all that difficult for anyone to get any information about a person now that the internet's in town.

My bet's that it's not worth it to pursue anyone who wants to exercise what should be their (IMO) absolute right to refuse to answer any personal question from any entity.

At least it's a job for someone. Even if it is temporary, I'm sure there are at least a few brave people who could use a job out there.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:16 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:

The Constitution provides for a census for the purposes of representation, not to find out how many bathrooms people have, what time they are home, if they have any mental issues, etc.

People who have challenged it in court have won, they only had to provide the info. for representation purposes. Furthermore, no one has been charged for not taking part in the census in several decades...so IOW, a person who doesn't answer all the questions from the census is in pretty much zero danger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area