Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2010, 08:27 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times

Advertisements

Now that the Mets have a new GM and field manager will they finally stop their quest for the first all Hispanic team in MLB?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 10:10 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Now that the Mets have a new GM and field manager will they finally stop their quest for the first all Hispanic team in MLB?
Shouldn't dignify this with a response but...

Old 11-24-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Shouldn't dignify this with a response but...
Give me a break the Mets have a few token white guys (and pretty good ones at that)but very few blacks.That bozo Maniya seemed to favor the Hispanics even those with questionable stats.

BTW Reyes is one of my favorites so no anti Hispanic on my part. Pretty much accepted that Omar and Willie did not see eye to eye on certain trades.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:27 PM

Give me a break

Here's a link to a spreadsheet that contains all of the moves made by Minaya during he tenure as Mets GM.

http://rotoauthority.blogs.com/files...mar-minaya.xls

He has acquired plenty of white players including:
Billy Wagner
Tom Glavine
Scott Schoeneweiss
Tim Redding
Jason Bay
Paul LoDuca
Shawn Green
Jeff Conine
Ryan Church
Bryan Schneider
Trot Nixon
JJ Putz
Connor Robertson
Jeff Francoeur

Old 11-24-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Give me a break

Here's a link to a spreadsheet that contains all of the moves made by Minaya during he tenure as Mets GM.

http://rotoauthority.blogs.com/files...mar-minaya.xls

He has acquired plenty of white players including:
Billy Wagner
Tom Glavine
Scott Schoeneweiss
Tim Redding
Jason Bay
Paul LoDuca
Shawn Green
Jeff Conine
Ryan Church
Bryan Schneider
Trot Nixon
JJ Putz
Connor Robertson
Jeff Francoeur
And where are any of those players now? Except for Bay they're all gone and so will Bay be if he doesn't shape up.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
And where are any of those players now? Except for Bay they're all gone and so will Bay be if he doesn't shape up.
Which of those players would you still like to have on the team?

And what is your point with Bay?

Minaya is not longer the GM.
If Bay doesn't produce wouldn't you want him traded? Or are you suggesting that a white player be kept on the team despite his lack of production? If that's your idea then that makes you exactly what (I think) you are accusing Minaya of being.

So, basically WTF are you talking about?

Old 11-24-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Which of those players would you still like to have on the team?

And what is your point with Bay?

Minaya is not longer the GM.
If Bay doesn't produce wouldn't you want him traded? Or are you suggesting that a white player be kept on the team despite his lack of production? If that's your idea then that makes you exactly what (I think) you are accusing Minaya of being.

So, basically WTF are you talking about?
No unload any player who doesn't produce but now that Minaya is gone I don't see the Mets picking Hispanics just because they are Hispanic.

I am not the only person to complain about Minayas trade deals after all he did make a lot of bad trades and many of them were Hispanic. I would like to see some more blacks on the Mets also, provided they are quality players.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
No unload any player who doesn't produce but now that Minaya is gone I don't see the Mets picking Hispanics just because they are Hispanic.

I am not the only person to complain about Minayas trade deals after all he did make a lot of bad trades and many of them were Hispanic.
And many of them weren't

Quote:
Billy Wagner
Tom Glavine
Scott Schoeneweiss
Tim Redding
Jason Bay
Paul LoDuca
Shawn Green
Jeff Conine
Ryan Church
Bryan Schneider
Trot Nixon
JJ Putz
Connor Robertson
Jeff Francoeur
Lets see some of the players that Minaya got rid of while with the Mets
Yusmeiro Petit
Gaby Hernandez
Angel Pagan
Geremi Gonzalez
Victor Diaz
Jose Castro
Guillermo MOta
Carlos Gomez
Deolis Guerra
Endy Chavez
Ramon Castro
Greg Veloz

Looks like Minaya acquired both white and hispanic players while getting rid of both white and hispanic players

http://www.amazinavenue.com/2009/12/...naya-only-goes
Quote:
Looking at the racial makeup of the Mets 40-man roster, as provided by a comment from Mark last week, the Mets had 15 Latinos out of 39 players, or 38%. About 29% of MLB players are Latino, meaning the Mets have four more Latin American players on their roster than average. Wow, stop the presses! How many Latinos are presently on the World Champion Yankees' roster? Answer: 19 out of 37, good for 51%. This is irrefutable evidence that Brian Cashman only goes after Latino players...
Last winter, Omar's Mets were part of a blockbuster three team trade which included Mariners and Indians. In the biggest trade of his reign, at least in terms of player volume, he gave up four Latino players and received (gasp!) three white players in return...Criticizing his moves in the strict baseball context is not enough for you - it has to become personal, an assault on Omar's character. As always, you're free to have these beliefs, but you're flat-out wrong.
http://www.bloggingmets.com/?p=1408
Quote:
In Minaya’s time as Mets GM, he acquired 62 Latino players. But guess how many non-Latino players he got? — 64. So the idea that Minaya is going out there collecting Latino players at the expense of non-Latinos just doesn’t add up. But here’s where conspiracy theorists have a point — in all of the trades Minaya has made, he dealt away 35 non-Latino players, and only sent 17 Latinos to other teams.
And then there are the players released or who left as free agents. 63 non-Latinos departed the team, while just 40 Latinos were sent away.
So what does all of this mean? You can make the argument Minaya has no bias, pointing to the fact that he actually acquired two more non-Latinos than Latinos. But he traded away or allowed to leave considerably more non-Latino players (98) than Latinos (57). So both sides of the argument have numbers to back up their claims.

Prior to the 2006 season, when Minaya was shopping for a catcher, he reportedly made identical offers to Latino free agents Bengie Molina and Ramon Hernandez, and waited for one of them to take it. He eventually rescinded the offers and traded two players (one of them Latino) for Paul Lo Duca — a white guy

Old 11-24-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
And many of them weren't

Lets see some of the players that Minaya got rid of while with the Mets
Yusmeiro Petit
Gaby Hernandez
Angel Pagan
Geremi Gonzalez
Victor Diaz
Jose Castro
Guillermo MOta
Carlos Gomez
Deolis Guerra
Endy Chavez
Ramon Castro
Greg Veloz

Looks like Minaya acquired both white and hispanic players while getting rid of both white and hispanic players

Stop Saying Omar Minaya Only Goes After Latino Players - Amazin' Avenue

The Omar Minaya/Latino Bias Myth » Blogging Mets
While I am only a part time Mets fan (I don't even get Met games in NC)you apparently are some kind of statistician. It looks like maybe I was wrong so on that I retract my accusations and defer to the expert.
But I am still glad he is gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball