Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 08:00 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,101,861 times

Advertisements

mostly done, needs to sign extension by tomorrow afternoon to complete deal.

Boston Red Sox have deal for Adrian Gonzalez of San Diego Padres, sources say - ESPN Boston

Here's a detailed look at the prospects the Sox will be giving up

Gonzalez deal: What the Red Sox gave up - Boston Red Sox Blog - ESPN Boston

I love this deal for Boston, I felt like the Sox needed another bat prior to losing V-Mart, I then felt like they needed two, so this is huge.

Sorry to see Rizzo go though, I have been hearing good things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 11:02 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
A good article on how to value trades involving prospects

Gonzalez vs Beltre | FanGraphs Baseball

Old 12-04-2010, 11:05 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
That is the worst thing I have ever heard! I hope we get some damn good picks in return

Old 12-04-2010, 11:47 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
That is the worst thing I have ever heard! I hope we get some damn good picks in return
You can't trade picks in baseball

So there is a huge difference between playing games in Petco Park in San Diego and Fenway park in Boston

The BR Park Factor for hitting in San Diego is 91 (which means that there is only 91% as much offense in the stadium as a neutral stadium).

The BR Park Factor for hitting in Boston is 106 (6% more offense in Fenway).

So Gonzalez is moving from the worst park for hitters in the league to a good park for hitters.

I can't link to it directly, but if you follow this link and input the following data

Show Hits From: Petco Park
Display on: Fenway Park
Batter: Adrian Gonzalez

it shows all of Gonzalez' hits from Petco overlaid on Fenway Park. Now, it's not a perfect comparison but it gives an idea. Look at all of the fly outs to left-field that would have bounced off of the Green Monster. There are also a few long singles and fly outs to right field that would have cleared the Monster.

Gonzalez should put up huge numbers next year.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:58 PM

The Padres are going to good prospects for this trade is what I have been hearing. Hopefully that is true. This is just messed up expecially because the Padres made it really close to the World Series.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:37 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
The Padres are going to good prospects for this trade is what I have been hearing. Hopefully that is true. This is just messed up expecially because the Padres made it really close to the World Series.
This is just another example of San Diego giving away the farm. AG is still on a cheap contract and they are getting 3 good prospects in return but you never know how that will translate into major league play. Lots of solid prospects have become career minor leaguers and also major league busts. This was just San Diego dumping more salary before it cashed in. Lets see if Boston fans will complain about Yankee spending now. This is just another bought player!

Old 12-05-2010, 08:41 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
This would seem another illustration of the disadvantages associated with being a small market team. Teams may be in rebuilding modes, or in competitive modes, and when it is the latter, it seems folly to trade your best offensive player for down the road prospects because that yanks you out of your competitive mode and places you into the rebuilding mode.

The Padres won 90 games and just missed the post season in '10, so one would think that they are capable of remaining in their competitive mode and adding one or two players who might push them over the top.

But.....Gonzalez was only bound to them for one more year and apparently the team does not believe it has the revenues to pay him what he will be worth in 2011. Thus their choice became remaining competitive for one more year with Gonzalez, but then losing him to free agency and not being able to get a package of prospects, or, running up the white flag for '11 and aiming down the road for their next competitive season.

It might be that somehow the Padres remain competitive next year despite the loss of Gonzalez, but would anyone wish to back such a notion with a bet? (That they were competitive in '10 was a surprise, so nothing here is written in stone.)

Teams in large markets with lots of money to spend, do not have to make these sorts of decisions. The Yankees never concern themselves with suffering through 3 or 4 crappy seasons while putting together the next competitive team.

All this is something to keep in mind the next time you find your fingers wanting to type..."See! The victory by (fill in small market team that had a good year) proves that you don't have to be wealthy to contend."

You do if you want to contend every season.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:34 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,101,861 times
Red Sox might wait on extension for Adrian Gonzalez | HardballTalk

so now Boston might wait to sign A Gonzalez to an extension? That seems crazy to me, you've given 3 of your top prospects in the deal for what might turn out to be 1 year of his services.

Last night all of the talk was this deal only happens if both sides agree to an extension by 2:00 PM today, stick to your guns Theo, your giving up a lot of talent here.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:13 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,431,660 times
Deal is off. At least for now.

Red Sox's unable to complete deal for Padres' Adrian Gonzalez - MLB - SI.com

I've been reading the comment section of the Boston Globe, and boy are Red Sox fans mad. Some of them are even blaming it on the purchase of Liverpool. They should be upset, Gonzalez would put up monster numbers at Fenway. He's worth Texeira type money.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:10 PM

Thank god
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball