Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 11:28 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Here's the strike zone map from the game

*Brooks Baseball · Home of the PitchFX Tool - Strikezone Map Tool

Squares were pitches thrown by Oakland pitchers that were called balls or strikes (no swings, fouls, etc) Triangles were pitches thrown by Detroit pitchers.

Red indicates a called strike
Green indicates a called ball

An expansive Verlander strike zone would have a lot of red triangles both outside of the zone and surrounded by green squares.

I don't see that represented on the graph
OIC, so a strike zone isn't really a strike zone, it's "typical" depending on the batter and open to interpretation by each umpire. Hence the fallacy of the game (not that such griping makes a difference in the outcome here)....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 11:36 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
OIC, so a strike zone isn't really a strike zone, it's "typical" depending on the batter and open to interpretation by each umpire. Hence the fallacy of the game (not that such griping makes a difference in the outcome here)....
I don't understand what you're saying

Yes. Umpires call balls and strikes somewhat subjectively, because they are fallible humans.

Realizing this, what is important is that balls and strikes are called evenly for both teams. Looking at the data from this game it appears that it was. I see no evidence that Verlander got strike calls that Oakland pitchers did not.

Last edited by filihok; 10-12-2012 at 12:43 AM..

Old 10-11-2012, 11:56 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
It's beyond human fallacy, as that would be relative to a clearly defined boundary. The strike zone is purely up to interpretation. The upper boundary is particularly shifty in general these days, umpire to umpire.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:10 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Tigers' fan checking in.....

Great season A's fans!

Quite a memorable series this year and we'll be seeing y'all next year for sure.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:10 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times
Congratulations to the Oakland A's on a spectacular season.. Preseason predictions had them losing 100 games and finishing last in thier division....way to play A's and to never give up

Old 10-12-2012, 01:43 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,384,247 times
I was rooting for the A's to go far, but am proud of what they accomplished given the pre-season predictions.

It's even hard for the trolls to troll the A's, since the A's pretty much trolled the Rangers and Angels out of the playoffs. Next year will be even better if the core group stays together. Just get the batting average up a bit (so many K's....) and it will take you guys far.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:07 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Still playing moneyball: An exclusive interview with Billy Beane - Athletics Nation

Quote:
I flew up to Oakland last week to do an interview with Billy, mostly covering what the team has accomplished and what we can look forward to in 2013. As always, I want to thank Beane for being so incredibly generous with his time in speaking to me. I realize it’s not something most GMs do and I’m thankful for it every single time.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:17 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I was rooting for the A's to go far, but am proud of what they accomplished given the pre-season predictions.

It's even hard for the trolls to troll the A's, since the A's pretty much trolled the Rangers and Angels out of the playoffs. Next year will be even better if the core group stays together. Just get the batting average up a bit (so many K's....) and it will take you guys far.
great season, i caught a few games in oakland (including 2 comebacks against the sox and blue jays)
concerned about next season tho.. the rangers will still be good and i dont think the angels are gona suck as badly as they did this year.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:07 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
great season, i caught a few games in oakland (including 2 comebacks against the sox and blue jays)
concerned about next season tho.. the rangers will still be good and i dont think the angels are gona suck as badly as they did this year.
Agreed on both counts, but I'd venture to guess they're more scared of the A's than the reverse.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:05 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times
Bob Melvin Manager of the year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball