Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 10:36 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,227,257 times

Advertisements

Jim Rice just missed being elected to the Hall of Fame in the last series of votes. In looking at his overall batting performance, it appears that Albert Belle and Dick Allen had better overall (though a bit shorter) careers.

Do you think the lack of consideration for Allen and Belle when their times arrived were due to their surly personalities, or do you think they really didn't merit greater consideration?

Jim Rice Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
Albert Belle Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
Dick Allen Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 11:12 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,682,285 times
Don't believe they merit. Belle not even close, IMO. He had high career points and power, but not HOF. Certainly not even the greatest of his time.
Look at Eddie Murray. He was pretty surly, had the worst relationship with the media. Eddie is a no doubt HOF though.
(Ron Santo should have been in long ago, and he'd better be in there before those guys.)

I would have loved to have seen Dick/Richie Allen play, but don't think his career was consistant enough for HOF. (He also did a song called "Echoes of November" Beautiful!!)

Old 01-15-2008, 04:32 PM

828 posts, read 3,138,990 times
Rice deserves it, Allen and Belle do not.

Gil Hodges deserves to be in before ALL of them!

Old 01-15-2008, 05:10 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times
I choose D: Johnny Bench. One of the greatest catchers who did nothing wrong but some one thinks he dont deserve it because he gambles. Just like 35 million people a year do in Vegas and 8 million a year in AC.

But if I have to answer anyway, as a Red Sox fan since 1967, Jim Rice has my support. I remember him very very well. He caught many fly balls right in front of me in the outfield at Fenway back when I was a kid.

I been to the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. All Baseball fans should go some day in their lives.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:16 PM

One of the best measures I have seen of offensive production is OPS+, which is a measure of a player's offensive performance within the context of the average for the league that year, and the player's ballpark. This offsets variances in overall league performance that occur over time, and makes a better comparitive tool for the player career.

OPS+ for career and peak year for each player is as follows:

Belle (career 143) (peak 193) (career HRs 381)
Allen (career 156) (peak 199) (career HRs 351)
Murray (career 129) (peak 158) (career HRs 504)
Rice (career 128) (peak 157) (career HRs 382)
Santo (career 125) (peak 164) (career HRs 342)
Hodges (career 120) (peak 143) (career HRs 370)

Souce - Baseball Encyclopedia of Players - Baseball-Reference.com

Concerning the normalized offensive measure, Allen and Belle both have significantly better career and peak numbers than the other players.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I choose D: Johnny Bench. One of the greatest catchers who did nothing wrong but some one thinks he dont deserve it because he gambles. Just like 35 million people a year do in Vegas and 8 million a year in AC.

But if I have to answer anyway, as a Red Sox fan since 1967, Jim Rice has my support. I remember him very very well. He caught many fly balls right in front of me in the outfield at Fenway back when I was a kid.

I been to the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. All Baseball fans should go some day in their lives.
Johnny Bench is in the HOF.
GO back to bashing all of us who live in NJ, your sports IQ is zero.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
One of the best measures I have seen of offensive production is OPS+, which is a measure of a player's offensive performance within the context of the average for the league that year, and the player's ballpark. This offsets variances in overall league performance that occur over time, and makes a better comparitive tool for the player career.

OPS+ for career and peak year for each player is as follows:

Belle (career 143) (peak 193) (career HRs 381)
Allen (career 156) (peak 199) (career HRs 351)
Murray (career 129) (peak 158) (career HRs 504)
Rice (career 128) (peak 157) (career HRs 382)
Santo (career 125) (peak 164) (career HRs 342)
Hodges (career 120) (peak 143) (career HRs 370)

Souce - Baseball Encyclopedia of Players - Baseball-Reference.com

Concerning the normalized offensive measure, Allen and Belle both have significantly better career and peak numbers than the other players.
Go back to Hodges era and look how he dominated. There was not a 1st baseman in the National League who was as good as he was while he played...that is what getting into the Hall is all about. It is not all about offensive stats, just look at Ozzie Smith and Phil Rizzuto.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:29 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
Johnny Bench is in the HOF.
GO back to bashing all of us who live in NJ, your sports IQ is zero.
Who is bashing you or NJ? Your sports IQ as well as your IQ is zero.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Who is bashing you or NJ? Your sports IQ as well as your IQ is zero.
National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum: Hall of Famer detail

Johnny Bench is in the HOF...and since when did he gamble?
Like I said, go back to hanging out on the NJ site.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:39 PM

Hodges .273 career average kind of works against him, even in his era it generally puts him out of the top 20 on any given year. I realize he was very good, but is he really significantly better than Tino Martinez, Fred McGriff or Jack Clark were in their timeframe?

OPS+ was designed to place players in the context of their eras and to negate any ballpark effects, so that is why I used it in asking about Belle and Allen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball