Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 04:53 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times

Advertisements

Happy trails to playoff chaos, Monday games and any extra games before the playoffs!

Giants whupped up on the Dodgers (I guess the Dodgers hate the Cardinals more than the Giants. Man, they did not show up this weekend) which eliminated any tiebreakers for the NL.
Teheran pitched an excellent game for the Braves, which is fitting to close out Turner Field when it opened with Maddux, Glavine & Smoltz in the Braves rotation. I believe Teheran struck out 12 and the Braves pitching finished with 15 strikeouts overall in blanking the Tigers 1-0 which eliminated any tiebreakers in the AL since the 2 teams were set when Detroit lost.
Cleveland beat the Indians, but then about 40 minutes later the Jays finished off the win against the Red Sox to eliminate the postponed game from Thursday since that is now unnecessary since the Indians are up 1.5 games.

Now Monday looks like an Xbox/catch up on DVR night, I was hoping to watch some tiebreaker games. Of all the scenarios for extra(s) games and we got nothing. I'm actually kinda pissed off, lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 05:20 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
The Giants have been like a team of drunks since the All Star break, staggering all over the place, and then suddenly sobering up for the final four games.

Since the break SF has had a three game winning streak, and a pair of two game winning streaks, but until these last four, had not won four in a row. Since September 1st, the Giants have been 15-15, needing those last four wins to reach the break even point.

All through today's game the Giants announcers kept talking about what great never say die character the team has and how it had positioned itself to work their "October Magic" in the post season etc etc. Well, maybe, but I would not place money on it.

Vin Scully ended his 255 year career with today's game, in San Francisco and having to close out with announcing that the Giants had won the wild card. I doubt that it meant anything to him, there has been a lot of Scully coverage as his retirement grew closer, and he looked pretty weary to me, like he was eager to get it all over and himself away from the attention. (Not that he was anything less than his usual gracious self.)

Old 10-02-2016, 05:36 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Watching Vin Scully's farewell brought tears to my eyes. I'm 65 now and listened to him, when I could, since I was 7 in 1958. What a career. It won't be the same without him.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:29 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
My MVP picks

AL

1. Mike Trout
2. Jose Altuve
3. Mookie Betts
4. David Ortiz
5. Josh Donaldson
6. Manny Machado
7. Adrian Beltre
8. Nelson Cruz
9. Miguel Cabrera
10. Robinson Cano

NL

1. Freddie Freeman
2. Kris Bryant
3. Joey Votto
4. Corey Seager
5. Jean Segura
6. Anthony Rizzo
7. Daniel Murphy
8. Yoenis Cespedes
9. Nolan Arenado
10. Ryan Braun

Old 10-02-2016, 08:58 PM

DJ LeMahieu entered today batting .34782, trailing him for the batting title was Daniel Murphy at .34716.

LeMahieu elected to sit out the Rockies last game, so it was up to Murphy if a challenge was to be mounted. If Murphy could get a hit in his first at bat, he would move to .34839 and the title would be his.

Murphy had one at bat as a pinch hitter in the fifth inning, but was retired on a flyball. He finishes at .34651.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:29 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
DJ LeMahieu entered today batting .34782, trailing him for the batting title was Daniel Murphy at .34716.

LeMahieu elected to sit out the Rockies last game, so it was up to Murphy if a challenge was to be mounted. If Murphy could get a hit in his first at bat, he would move to .34839 and the title would be his.

Murphy had one at bat as a pinch hitter in the fifth inning, but was retired on a flyball. He finishes at .34651.

It wasn't just this weekend. He's only had 2 ABs since Tuesday and both came in Friday's game and than got lifted when he went 0-2. Bush league move! At least Murphy was legitimately injured.....AND going to the playoffs otherwise he would have started about 70% of the games. What excuse does LaMahieu have for basically sitting the entire week?? Fatigue?? If he's fatigued, he has a 4 month vacation upcoming, or maybe he should try something different like ballet.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
It wasn't just this weekend. He's only had 2 ABs since Tuesday and both came in Friday's game and than got lifted when he went 0-2. Bush league move! At least Murphy was legitimately injured.....AND going to the playoffs otherwise he would have started about 70% of the games. What excuse does LaMahieu have for basically sitting the entire week?? Fatigue?? If he's fatigued, he has a 4 month vacation upcoming, or maybe he should try something different like ballet.
I would imagine LaMahieu required no excuse, he was protecting his lead in the batting race. There is a huge amount of precedent for doing this sort of thing. Players hitting .300 will sit to protect their averages from falling below that magical line. If Colorado had been playing a meaningful game, LaMahieu would have played. As it was, with nothing on the line save the batting title, his action, or inaction I guess, is somewhat traditional.

Ted Williams famously played in a final day double header in 1941 rather than sit to protect his .400 average, but that was Ted, that was an exception.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:58 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I would imagine LaMahieu required no excuse, he was protecting his lead in the batting race. There is a huge amount of precedent for doing this sort of thing. Players hitting .300 will sit to protect their averages from falling below that magical line. If Colorado had been playing a meaningful game, LaMahieu would have played. As it was, with nothing on the line save the batting title, his action, or inaction I guess, is somewhat traditional.

Ted Williams famously played in a final day double header in 1941 rather than sit to protect his .400 average, but that was Ted, that was an exception.
It was a punk move on LaMahieu's part.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:04 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
*Sticky* has been taken off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball