Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 05:53 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Andy Warhol said ............." everybody gets their 15 minute of fame "

Too bad Steve Bartman wasted his on such a stupid, careless, costly act.
Lol, and people say nobody still cares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 06:27 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times
I bet Bartman is rooting for the Cubs still.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:30 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
How they treated Steve Bartman. The Cub fans don't deserve a championship after how they treated him that night and the weeks/months after. Death threats, etc. Looking back now many have publicly apologized to him (including many in the media). They still don't deserve a championship and LA is doing a good of extending their suffering
Every city has a small minority of fanatics; if there's blame to be assessed here, it should be laid at the door of the media who blew things out of proportion.

Quote:
Steve Bartman?.............he should have been banned from ever attending a Cubs game again!

(and given a mental evaluation)

And thank you, little man, for providing Exhibit 'A'

Old 10-24-2016, 07:29 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:

Hmmmmm

Old 10-25-2016, 06:07 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
The "real baseball" fans of Chicago ARE NOT FROM TEH SOUTH SIDE. Your ignorance on the subject manner should best be kept to yourself, you're sounding utterly ridiculous. The "fans" of the Sox STILL cant fill their stadium, and most were bandwagoning idiots.

To suggest the Cubs don't deserve a World Series win is strange. Anyone who lingers around the AZ forum knows your disdain towards all things Chicago, so we shouldn't be surprised with this dumb post of yours. But here I am, responding to yet another one of your anti-Chicago posts.
As someone that lived in the Chicago burbs for a decade it was my experience that Sox fans were better baseball fans. Knew more about their team and baseball in general. Cubs had their share of bandwagoners in '03 as well. I say this as someone that once referred to the Cubs as my second favorite team. They helped me get back into the game after the strike.

Perplexed by the rest of your comments, though.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:12 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
How they treated Steve Bartman. The Cub fans don't deserve a championship after how they treated him that night and the weeks/months after. Death threats, etc. Looking back now many have publicly apologized to him (including many in the media). They still don't deserve a championship and LA is doing a good of extending their suffering
You do realize the Cubs Baseball Team and Organization cannot control how the fans treat someone right? I also doubt that your lack of support for the team is going to make any difference to anyone but you, no one else is going to notice.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:50 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
And I can't root for the Sox due to the Black Sox scandal of 1919.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:56 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times
The guy could have made tons of money from it, but he choose to hide out. He turned down interviews, book deals, donations, etc. And no one every harmed him and he's famous! WHo cares.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:30 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:

...Go Cleveland!

Old 10-25-2016, 11:11 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,130,500 times
Well, the Bartman incident was shabby, but just a symptom of a larger problem, a frustrated fan base. Not winning for 108 years will do that, normally the market takes care of this problem. A team stinks, fan base dwindles, owner puts more money into the team or sells it to someone who will make changes. Either that or the franchise fails, such as the Expos, or it moves to another city, or they do a name change. That never happened with the Cubs, the owners got away with mediocrity, because of the loyal fans. The fact that Wrigley Field was the last park to get lights, in 1988 (lol) tells a lot about the ownership. At least they were smart in hiring Harry Caray to announce the games, he made it fun.

But getting down to who deserves this WS win, in more recent times the Indians have been to the WS several times, they played their hearts out and came as close as you can get, without actually winning in 1997. The owners built a new park in 1995, Jacobs Field, and built the team into something special. They made baseball exciting and entertaining during that period, I feel a lot more empathy for the Indians, than I do the Cubs. The Cubs have to show me something to get me believing in them, and this curse thing really hurts the club, true or not, it either dies here in 2016, or it gets bigger and the psychology of it continue to eat away at the owners, players and fans. If the Cubs lose again, they should sell the damn club, change the name, move it to a new location in Chicago, or even another city, then nuke Wrigley Field and make it a no baseball zone for the next 1000 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball