Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be instant replay in MLB?
Yes, MLB should have instant replay. 20 58.82%
No, MLB should not have instant replay. 14 41.18%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 11:11 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,924,956 times

Advertisements

Lately, umpires have blown many home runs and plays at the plate. Given that, do you think the MLB should have instant replay? FWIW, all other major (American) team sports (NBA, NFL, and NHL) have instant replay in some capacity.

My opinion is that baseball should have instant replay for those calls that directly affect a run scored. Basically, that'd be any home run controversies (fair or foul, home run or ground rule double, like what happened to A. Rodriguez tonight) and any play at the plate.

Purists will argue against instant replay saying that bad calls by the umps are part of the game. And really gung ho proponents will probably call for instant replay for any controversial out calls. (I don't think anyone would want it for balls and strikes calls .)

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 07:07 AM

2,317 posts, read 5,130,547 times
Yes,the ump's can't get it right all the time.Carlos delgado hit a 3 run homer the other day that hit the foul pole,the ump delayed call,and than called it foul.If you watch the replay it was fair.This is Important in playoffs and world series that the calls are not blown.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:23 AM

Mike and Mike were just discussing this on ESPN Radio this morning. They're also pushing for instant replay. I don't see how the MLB can continue to ignore this. They also said that instant replay will not only lead to correct calls (which I think everyone agrees with) but that it wouldn't really prolong the game that the naysayers argue. For example, when the umps robbed Rodriguez of a 2nd home run last night, announcer Michael Kay looked at a replay and within 36 sec. unequivocally determined it was a HR. Meanwhile, the umps were still gathered talking about who knows what for several minutes.

One thing I thought of is if IR is expanded to be more than just HR calls and plays at the plate, then give each manager 3 challenges they can use for the game. This is taking a page out of the NFL. If a challenge works, then it's not used. If their challenge fails, then they are down to 2 challenges. Or perhaps penalize them by giving an automatic ball to the batter when that team is pitching to the next batter. (But I don't really like the concept of a penalty.)

Old 05-22-2008, 08:35 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,313,004 times
I vote for no replay, but it wouldn't signal the end of the world if they used it in certain instances. I don't buy the "It'll slow the game down too much" argument at all. Baseball isn't intended to be a fast paced game like the other sports are to begin with.

This might not even be an issue if the left field fair pole at Yankee Stadium was where it should have been. If it was placed correctly (or if the line on the pads on the wall leading up to it was correctly placed), there would not have been what appeared to be at least a foot of fair ground to the left of the pole. MLB should insure that all lines are accurate before worrying about instant replay.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:01 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,583,766 times
I think just for homers. Some say homers and contorversial calls. The problem with that is, almost any call could be considered controversial. That would turn a 3 hour game into 5 hours easily.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:32 AM

582 posts, read 2,039,421 times
I also say just for homers anything else would be take too long and i think it would ruin the game.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:37 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,520,808 times
I think they should have instant replay just for home runs! I don't think it would ruin the game at all!

My husband, however, does not think they should have instant replay. He is of the school of thought that they will start using it for everything and it will "ruin" the game!

Old 05-23-2008, 08:17 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,762,438 times
I rarely venture into the MLB forum because I don't care for baseball but I saw this one and had to put in my 2 cents.

The instant replay is a ruinous mechanism that takes authority out of the hands of the trained officials on the field. They no longer feel empowered to make the correct call as they interpret it. There's is so much interpretation involved in officiating a sport that to have a camera watching over the official makes them no longer compelled to allow the game to regulate itself. The official should not be a major factor in any sport and putting the camera on the officials' "plays" makes him or her now an active participant. Look at the NFL. Anytime there is a challenge or the replay is invoked, who's the center of attention?? The official. The replay is a slippery slope. You let it in for one thing and then before long you'll allow it for other things all under the premise of making the "right" call everytime. Is it REALLY that important??? I don't think so. Yes officials make poor calls sometimes but I don't think it's all that important a matter to be perfectly right. Again, look at the NFL. You can't watch a single game anymore without getting into a debate over the precise instant a catch was made or whether or not a "football move" was made before the precise instant the ball came loose, or even what constitutes a "loose" football and what precisely constitutes possession!!! And still, not everyone can agree. The replay has done so much to clarify that sport why not start arguing about the precise moment the ball is in the catcher's glove relative to the precise moment contact is made with the bag... Come on, it's too much. Let the guys play.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:17 AM

It's interesting that many people agree IR should be used for home run calls, yet the votes are 2 in favor and 6 against.

I remember when many traditionalists and purists cried foul (pun intended) when the MLB decided to go with inter-league play. But here it is now, over a decade later, and it's still thriving, esp. the local rivalries (e.g. Mets vs. Yankees, Cubs vs. White Sox, etc.).

Old 05-23-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
I rarely venture into the MLB forum because I don't care for baseball but I saw this one and had to put in my 2 cents.

The instant replay is a ruinous mechanism that takes authority out of the hands of the trained officials on the field. They no longer feel empowered to make the correct call as they interpret it. There's is so much interpretation involved in officiating a sport that to have a camera watching over the official makes them no longer compelled to allow the game to regulate itself. The official should not be a major factor in any sport and putting the camera on the officials' "plays" makes him or her now an active participant. Look at the NFL. Anytime there is a challenge or the replay is invoked, who's the center of attention?? The official. The replay is a slippery slope. You let it in for one thing and then before long you'll allow it for other things all under the premise of making the "right" call everytime. Is it REALLY that important??? I don't think so. Yes officials make poor calls sometimes but I don't think it's all that important a matter to be perfectly right. Again, look at the NFL. You can't watch a single game anymore without getting into a debate over the precise instant a catch was made or whether or not a "football move" was made before the precise instant the ball came loose, or even what constitutes a "loose" football and what precisely constitutes possession!!! And still, not everyone can agree. The replay has done so much to clarify that sport why not start arguing about the precise moment the ball is in the catcher's glove relative to the precise moment contact is made with the bag... Come on, it's too much. Let the guys play.
I appreciate it your input. That said, I think it is more important to get the call right than to be concerned about stoppage in play. While the NFL's IR is far from perfect, it's much better than no IR. Besides, like someone mentioned, baseball is a slow sport to begin with, unlike hockey and football.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball