Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2017, 07:17 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
The next 2 months will likely be the Braves taking a look at Wisler and Blair so that they can make decisions on them this offseason, as basically they will either trade them or find a spot on the big club for 2018, as neither needs to be in Gwinnett's rotation next year, as those spots will be needed for younger pitchers. I imagine both Wisler and Blair will be traded over the winter but the next 2 months gives the Braves one last look at them before deciding what to do.
We've seen more than enough of Wisler since 2015- he stinks. I'd give Blair another shot, but he was awful lat year as well, and has been mediocre at Gwinnett this year. Sims, Medlen, and Sorotka (AA Mississippi) need to be looked at before Blair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 07:20 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,141 times
Suzuki continues hitting in the clutch- good win last night. Play Rodriguez or Santana in RF today- Markakis is really slumping. We'll need 8+ runs to win today with Blair pitching.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:22 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,690,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
We've seen more than enough of Wisler since 2015- he stinks. I'd give Blair another shot, but he was awful lat year as well, and has been mediocre at Gwinnett this year. Sims, Medlen, and Sorotka (AA Mississippi) need to be looked at before Blair.

Well, I agree that I think both Wisler & Blair don't have a future with the Braves but my thinking is that Atlanta wants to see both with the big club one more time over the next 2 months to see if they can have any role on the big club in the future. I really think the Braves have to make that decision this offseason, as you can't hang onto Wisler and/or Blair and put them back in Gwinnett's rotation next season, as those rotation spots will be needed for other guys (such as Soroka and Allard). So, I think they each get a start or two and maybe some bullpen work over the next 2 months to see if there is anything salvageable there. I think there probably isn't and that both of them get traded this winter to make room for younger, higher upside pitchers.

You may also see Medlen as well, since he will be a free agent at the end of this year and Atlanta may want to see what he can do, as they might consider him as a long man in the bullpen or a swingman between the bullpen and the #5 spot in the rotation for 2018.

I know Sims is the guy that most would prefer to see to any of the above 3 but the difference is that Atlanta doesn't have to make any decisions on Sims in the next 2 months whereas I think they have to make decisions in Wisler, Blair and Medlen. So, I think that as much as anything dicates that those 3 get a look first.

We could still see Sims in September, though, as Wisler and Blair could easily stink in their starts in Atlanta and Coppy and Snitker could decide to pull the plug on both of them a little early, put them in the bullpen and let Sims be the #5 starter for the rest of the season.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:45 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Quote:
The next 2 months will likely be the Braves taking a look at Wisler and Blair so that they can make decisions on them this offseason, as basically they will either trade them or find a spot on the big club for 2018, as neither needs to be in Gwinnett's rotation next year, as those spots will be needed for younger pitchers. I imagine both Wisler and Blair will be traded over the winter but the next 2 months gives the Braves one last look at them before deciding what to do.
Quote:
Wisler has made enough appearances where the Braves need to move on from him. He should be traded or released by Monday.

Blair can stay for the remainder of the season to see if he has resolved his 2016 shenanigans. If he falters for Atlanta as he did last season, the Braves need to move on from him also.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:48 AM

Default Game 99 (25 July 2017 - 21:40): Atlanta Braves @ Arizona Diamondbacks

Quote:
Folty pitched pretty well last night and has actually emerged as Atlanta's best starter this season. The Braves are 11-2 in Folty's last 13 starts and he has a 3.60 ERA in those starts. He still has some things to work on, as he still gets hit hard at times and gives up too many homeruns. However, if he can improve that over the next year or two, then he could take another step forward. I thought he showed guts and confidence last night in battling his way out of a jam in the 6th inning. He was approaching 120 pitches and his fastball was still hitting 98 & 99 MPH consistently.
Foltynewicz has pitched well this season. He should lead the rotation and start opening day in 2018.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:51 AM

Default Game 100 (26 July 2017 - 15:40): Atlanta Braves @ Arizona Diamondbacks

Quote:
Suzuki continues hitting in the clutch- good win last night. Play Rodriguez or Santana in RF today- Markakis is really slumping. We'll need 8+ runs to win today with Blair pitching.
Suzuki has been hitting consistently. More Braves need to follow Suzuki's lead.

I hope Blair shows up today pitching balls rather than constantly imploding in his 2016 appearances.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:51 PM

Final: Diamondbacks 10, Braves 3

Batting

Runs batted in: Kemp, Matt (48); Phillips, Brandon (37); Markakis, Nick (48)

Pitching

Aaron Blair (0-1) lost the decision. He allowed five hits, allowed five runs (five earned) including one home run, allowed five bases on balls, and struck out three in three innings.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:55 PM

Aaron Blair made another appeal to be a career minor league pitcher or to continue in major league baseball with another club. Resuming his negative form for 2016, Blair used his bad pitching to lead the Braves to another loss.

Like Wisler, Blair would bring in another minor league player in a trade.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:42 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,690,334 times
Well, I think that probably is the last start that Aaron Blair will make for the big club. I think it is pretty much a given that he will be traded this winter, along with Wisler. It sounds like Lucas Sims is very likely to be brought up next week to take the #5 starting spot.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:19 AM

Blair should have been traded in the off-season. Now is the time for the Braves to unload him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball