Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 5 days ago)

52,711 posts, read 48,015,353 times

Advertisements

Hi, folks. I hope all you Central fans are getting fired up for the second half as it has started. Here are just a few thoughts from me as we get underway with more baseball:

1. St Louis - Pineiro has just been great in the rotation, and Pujols, of course, is the big story at the plate. This team is in a prime position to win the division, and they are playing the best ball right now, but a title won't be guaranteed for the Cards as close as this race is. Unless they collapse, they've got the best chance to advance.

2. Milwaukee - No Sheets? No Sabathia? No problem. Try Yovani Gallardo. He's been the real deal so far with a 3.22 ERA (don't let 8-7 fool you). And the offense just keeps chugging away with Braun and Fielder. And injuries to key players have not stopped them. After strong contention last year, they should be taken seriously come September.

3. Chicago - So far, the Milton Bradley acquisition has been a bust. There just isn't much offensive production here when needed, and they're waiting for Soto to return. Pitching-wise, Zambrano and Lilly have been good, but Harden hasn't.

4. Houston - This team has been inconsistent all year, but things are getting encouraging with Thursday night's win over the Dodgers in Los Angeles and Wandy Rodriguez throwing shutout ball. Will they have another second-half eruption to propel them into the division lead? Recent history suggests they will. This division is wide open and the Astros will be a threat if the pitching holds together and the offense clicks.

5. Cincinnati - The Reds had a good run for much of the first half, but can't stay away from injuries. They've missed Votto, Gonzalez, Encarnacion, and Bruce in the past several weeks. But this team has still hung on, and I wouldn't count these guys out for the stretch run.

6. Pittsburgh - We knew that April flourish wouldn't last. But the pitching staff that I've always said had much potential did pretty well the first two months. GM Neal Huntington insists that this team is going in the right direction. We'll find out by season's end, but I wouldn't bet the Pirates to clinch a playoff berth this year.

There you are for now. Enjoy the games!

Old 07-17-2009, 10:27 AM

4,348 posts, read 3,562,134 times
As far as the Cards go, I think they will hold up fine. Carpenter just needs to stay healthy, but I'm not worried about the other starters. I predict Pujols will get to 70 home runs this year and I can just sense that. Your Astros do make me nervous, but can you settle for a Wild Card?

Thanks for bringing your thoughts, case. Great stuff.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:15 PM

201 posts, read 479,332 times
As much as everyone wants their team to be good now, I don't want to Reds to break the bank for a bat this year. I think the Reds are going to be a force next year, pick a few pieces and do what you do. That being said, I'd love to win now.. I know

Edwin is 7-7 with 3 bombs in the last 4 games.
Bronson back to back shut outs.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:49 PM

611 posts, read 1,460,548 times
So… Albert Pujols.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:38 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,793,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Hi, everyone. I've decided to start up a new thread, thanks to the efforts of two other C-D'ers who previously have begun threads on the AL East and NL East. And I thought it would be a great idea to look around some other divisions, so this thread will be about all of the teams in the National League Central division. We can discuss any and all things National League Central, and give comments and observations regarding the players, games, and happenings from the Astros, Cardinals, Cubs, Pirates, Brewers, and Reds. It's your forum, fans. And since my favorite team (Houston) is in that division, why not discuss everything that's happening in the NL Central as we go through another baseball season??

So, here we go. The NL Central and all that it contains, plus news, views, and more. Let's hear from you right now. Let 'er rip!
Case, which team do you think is the major threat to the Cardinals in the NL Central? I am starting to think it may be Houston.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:37 AM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 5 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
Case, which team do you think is the major threat to the Cardinals in the NL Central? I am starting to think it may be Houston.
As I've shared already, it's a wide-open division, and the distance between the top five teams out of the six is just five and a half games at this writing. The only non-factor would be the Pirates. You can make a good case for the Astros when you look at their past second-half play.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:28 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,123,888 times
I think you can add the Reds to the dead list. Too many injuries and now the pitching has gone to hell.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I think you can add the Reds to the dead list. Too many injuries and now the pitching has gone to hell.
Well, now, hang on. It's not like you guys are 18 to 20 games out. It's not like that. You are this close; you've got a legit chance in this tighter-than-a-drum division. It can be done.

Granted, of course, you've got to leapfrog over four pretty good teams right now.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:23 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,133,690 times
Brewers=Choke. (beating head against wall)

Old 07-23-2009, 05:46 PM

Default Going Into Thursday's Play.....

Here's how it all looks right now:

1. St Louis (51-46, - )
T2. Chicago (48-45, 1 GB)
T2. Houston (49-46, 1 GB)
4. Milwaukee (48-47, 2 GB)
5. Cincinnati (44-50, 5.5 GB)
6. Pittsburgh (42-52, 7.5 GB)

The Cards begin a weekend series with the Nationals in DC tonight, and the Pirates will be in Arizona. Everybody else will begin their weekend battles tomorrow. Houston remains at home against the Mets in a battle of the 1962 expansionist cousins. The Reds and Chicago will play each other in an intradivisional series at Wrigley, and the Brewers will host the Braves. Should be some good play coming up. And this race sure iiiiiissssss tight.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.