Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2008, 02:09 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,957,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Hey fellas...Reds fan here...do you think we (Reds) have enough good young core players (i.e. Volquez, Cueto, Bruce, Keppinger, Janish, Bailey) and old hands (Dunn, Griffey, Harang, Arroyo, Encarnacion, Hairston) to either compete this year or, barring that, contend in '09? And are you surprised at how competitive the Central is this year? The Reds are at 31-35, and yes, in last right now, but there's only 10 games separaitng them from the Cubs...
maybe in the future, with Volquez anchoring your pitching rotation and Dunn, Votto, Griffey, and Encarnacion in the middle of your lineup, i don't see why they can't finish strong this year or next year. BUT, as always, the Reds need more pitching, if they get more pitching, they will become monsters

Old 06-11-2008, 06:20 PM

52,684 posts, read 47,937,079 times
Default Roy-O

The Astros got a good outing from Roy Oswalt, as he appeared to be his regular self again on the mound on Tuesday night against the Brewers. He took some advice from Lance Berkman before the game. Berkman told Oswalt something like, "Don't try too hard. Throw the way you've always thrown that got you 100 wins...." And Oswalt did.

And won.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:36 PM

611 posts, read 1,458,600 times
Well, it's not been a great week for Cardinals fans, as we now know that, in addition to Wainwright's injury, Pujols will miss around three weeks due to his calf injury from last night. I expected it to be much more serious (possibly even season-ending) after seeing what happened, so although it's not GOOD news, it could've been much worse.

In other news, in their first game without Pujols, the Cardinals beat the Reds 10-0 in Cincinnati behind a complete game shutout from none other than Braden Looper.

Maybe the other guys are motivated?

Old 06-11-2008, 08:50 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Meanwhile, the Cubs lose Soriano for at least six weeks. And so much for his all-star bid.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:52 PM

^^
oh well, they still beat the Braves 7-2, and improve their home record to 28-8, that's a .778% winning percentage, that's ridiculous!!!

Old 06-11-2008, 09:25 PM

611 posts, read 1,458,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Meanwhile, the Cubs lose Soriano for at least six weeks. And so much for his all-star bid.
It seems to me that a lot of players are getting injured lately. Could be that I just pay more attention to the teams that have had players going down, but nonetheless, I like baseball a lot more when nobody is getting hurt.

Here's to hoping Soriano heals up quickly.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTNGuy View Post
It seems to me that a lot of players are getting injured lately. Could be that I just pay more attention to the teams that have had players going down, but nonetheless, I like baseball a lot more when nobody is getting hurt.

i agree for some reason this year a lot of superstars have been getting injured

Old 06-11-2008, 09:29 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTNGuy View Post

It's especially crappy to get put on the DL because some a-hole threw a pitch at you.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:56 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,210,109 times
I find the Cards to be remarkable so far this season.

Look at that pitching staff, it would appear to be the staff of a last place club. But they are doing exceptionally well. Then you look at the scoring, and guys like failed pitching prospect Rick Ankiel and three team reject Ryan Ludwick are leading the offense (of course in support of Pujols).

This might be the biggest surprise team in baseball so far this season (and I am not a Cards fan BTW).

Old 06-12-2008, 02:47 PM

52,684 posts, read 47,937,079 times
Default Considerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I find the Cards to be remarkable so far this season.

Look at that pitching staff, it would appear to be the staff of a last place club. But they are doing exceptionally well. Then you look at the scoring, and guys like failed pitching prospect Rick Ankiel and three team reject Ryan Ludwick are leading the offense (of course in support of Pujols).

This might be the biggest surprise team in baseball so far this season (and I am not a Cards fan BTW).
Tony LaRussa needs to, at least, be considered in the Manager of the Year award running. You can also throw Lou Piniella's name in the hat, too. They're both getting the most out of their players this year and you have to give them credit for the results up to this point in the season, especially if both the Cards and Flubs keep doing what they're doing. The only way to beat them is to simply beat them, pure and simple. But give those guys credit for getting it done. If only I could say the same about Cecil Cooper in Houston, but it's just too early to judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball