Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2008, 08:40 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 12 days ago)

52,724 posts, read 48,043,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The "flubs" gag got stale after the 483rd repetition. Think of something new.
Only if those guys actually win something, then I'll see about it. Sorry, my friend, but the curse still lives on, first place or no. Maybe this will be the year, and maybe it won't be. You need to take a look when I do my occasional standings update. I'll do another one soon. (See previous posts and look at the numbers - you'll notice I typed Cubs)

Just enjoy the run while it lasts, and know that your team's doing much better than mine right now. You should be proud.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 12 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTNGuy View Post
So, answer me this: how do the Cardinals lose three at home to the Royals, then turn around and win a series against the Red Sox at Fenway (the only series they've lost at home all season)? That blows my mind. I am still, however, amazed at how well they've played so far this season. We just took a series from Boston that didn't feature our two best players…

The good news is that Pujols should be playing by Thursday, and everybody else (Wainwright, Molina, etc.) will be back shortly. Can't wait.
Well, you've got Pujols back. The offense should be just fine.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:55 AM

Default The Latest Standings - June 28

Okay, folks, here they are. This is the very latest on the NL Central as of Saturday, June 28.

1. Chicago Cubs (49-31) - The Miracle Train keeps going for now, but they've only won four of their last ten. And they no longer have baseball's best record. And they also got plastered by the White Sox in Game 1 of their crosstown interleague series. Signs of cracking, perhaps??
2. St Louis Cardinals (45-36) - Pujols is back. Mulder is back. But now, Isringhausen is going on the DL. And, yet, the Cards keep right on rolling, but they are mired in a three-game losing streak.
3. Milwaukee Brewers (43-36) - How about this? Four home runs in a game against the red-hot Twins on Friday. And they still lose. Ben Sheets, by the way, is already 9-1 with a 2.59.
4. Pittsburgh Pirates (37-42) - Their young lineup had to step up their game in a recent series at home against the Yankees. Game 3 of that series was rained out. The Pirates also saw their highest home attendance of the year in that series.
5. Houston Astros (37-43) - This team has enough problems even without the Shawn Chacon incident a few days ago. They've got a tough series against the Red Sox this weekend. Maybe the Houston Chronicle needs to put another tombstone on the sports section's front page. It worked before.
6. Cincinnati Reds (36-45) - The battle of Ohio begins with a Reds loss against C.C. Sabathia. Righty Edinson Volquez is having a sensational season and should not be overlooked. That's also another Ranger experiencing post-Ranger success. The rest of the pitching staff has too many question marks.

There you are for now.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:58 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,332,665 times
Cubs are still tied for the best record in baseball, "technically" still holding it as a percentage of wins versus losses.

Cracks in the Cubs lineup? Look to the mound. Even our best starters are getting lit up lately -- and we only have two who were predictably decent to begin with, and one of them is on the DL. Meanwhile, we have exactly one reliable setup pitcher and one reliable closer -- and that reliable setup pitcher has had control problems that cost the Cubs two games recently. Timely hitting has saved a lot of mediocre outings, but the bats can't do it all the time.

Marquis and Lilly better step it up or they'll be lucky to make it past the NLDS.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:08 AM

I got you, Drover.

.613 vs .610. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:20 AM

Default Waiting For The Big Choke - Or Not??

Quote:
Cubs are still tied for the best record in baseball, "technically" still holding it as a percentage of wins versus losses.

Cracks in the Cubs lineup? Look to the mound. Even our best starters are getting lit up lately -- and we only have two who were predictably decent to begin with, and one of them is on the DL. Meanwhile, we have exactly one reliable setup pitcher and one reliable closer -- and that reliable setup pitcher has had control problems that cost the Cubs two games recently. Timely hitting has saved a lot of mediocre outings, but the bats can't do it all the time.

Marquis and Lilly better step it up or they'll be lucky to make it past the NLDS.
The pitching is still good up there on paper, and every pitching staff has to contend with inconsistency. But for every one or two bad starts by one starter, you might see a third start go real good. Your north-siders as a team, however --- well, we still have the second half of the season to go on this. And likewise with everybody else in the division. The Miracle Train is rolling now, but will it keep going by, say, mid-August?? Like I said in an earlier post, this franchise has to actually win something for me to give them any respect at all, so let's just see what happens.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:

Cracks in the Cubs lineup? Look to the mound. Even our best starters are getting lit up lately -- and we only have two who were predictably decent to begin with, and one of them is on the DL. Meanwhile, we have exactly one reliable setup pitcher and one reliable closer -- and that reliable setup pitcher has had control problems that cost the Cubs two games recently.
Make that three now. Though this time it was a bad pitching decision rather than control loss that cost us the game. Fastball up and slightly out to Quentin = duh. Pitch around him if you have to -- if he had, the game might be in extra innings as we speak.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:46 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,586,729 times
The Cubs have the same cracks as the rest of the NL. It's called "can't hang with the AL". This may be the greatest disparity between the AL and NL in a long time. And I'm no AL cheerleader. Just a Cubs fan who truly believes they will go to the series this year....only to be spanked by the Rays.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:17 AM

LOL, well the freakin' Reds of all teams will do no worse than an even record against the AL this season, with a chance to come out 2 up on 'em...

Old 07-01-2008, 03:34 AM

Default Astros Update

Roy Oswalt pitched a great game last night for six innings before he exited the game with a hip injury. He'll be getting checked out. I'll keep you posted in case you don't hear anything. The Astros beat the Dodgers, 4-1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball