Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2008, 04:11 PM

52,693 posts, read 47,969,279 times

Advertisements

BREAKING NEWS *********

The Houston Astros just acquired lefty Randy Wolf in a trade with the San Diego Padres for minor-leaguer Chad Reineke.

I think this will be good for the Astros to help with the starting pitching.

Here's our link. Astros acquire Wolf from Padres | Astros.com: News

Old 07-24-2008, 10:14 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,142,623 times
Phillie fans bust on Ed Wade but I don't think he was that bad. When he was with the Phils he had his hands tied by cheap ownership. He did make some dumb moves but it was more the fault of Dave Montgomery and the owners.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:46 AM

The Brewers after making the trade for Sabbathia look very potent. The Cubs could be in trouble but at the moment they are hanging on. I give credit to the Cardinals for being a surprise team after everybody expected them to collapse.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:50 AM

By the way, folks, if you know of any other Brewer, Astro, Red, and Pirate fans out there, tell them to come on over. If you are out there now, we need more of you on our thread here. Plenty of Cub and Card fans so far. The rest of you, come on. We need more to create more excitement here. It's an intriguing race in 2008 and this division had races going down to the last week, and sometimes the last regular season game, in previous years. Now, please understand that if your team's not in it, don't get discouraged from participating. We do kid around a lot and there is a little trash talk now and then, but don't let it bother you. You can still come on here, especially when your team has a legitimate chance to play spoiler. You can also talk about your favorite NL Central player and how he's doing or potential trade talks or whatever involving NL Central teams.

Come get involved now that we're almost in the final two months.

It's encouraging to see the lower rung teams in the Central hang in there and play close to .500. Everybody has improved and it will be interesting as the season winds down. The NL Central may now be the best divison in the NL. The West is terrible and the East is kind of so so.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
By the way, folks, if you know of any other Brewer, Astro, Red, and Pirate fans out there, tell them to come on over. If you are out there now, we need more of you on our thread here. Plenty of Cub and Card fans so far. The rest of you, come on. We need more to create more excitement here. It's an intriguing race in 2008 and this division had races going down to the last week, and sometimes the last regular season game, in previous years. Now, please understand that if your team's not in it, don't get discouraged from participating. We do kid around a lot and there is a little trash talk now and then, but don't let it bother you. You can still come on here, especially when your team has a legitimate chance to play spoiler. You can also talk about your favorite NL Central player and how he's doing or potential trade talks or whatever involving NL Central teams.

Come get involved now that we're almost in the final two months.

It's encouraging to see the lower rung teams in the Central hang in there and play close to .500. Everybody has improved and it will be interesting as the season winds down. The NL Central may now be the best divison in the NL. The West is terrible and the East is kind of so so.
The first two paragraphs are the exact same thing I wrote a few posts ago. Just be careful when you quote other people, please.

As for our division being as good as it is, you've got that right. We're in the last two months, and it wouldn't be too surprising if the Wild Card came out of this division. The races are going to be good.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
The Brewers after making the trade for Sabbathia look very potent. The Cubs could be in trouble but at the moment they are hanging on. I give credit to the Cardinals for being a surprise team after everybody expected them to collapse.
The Brewers are very much in it. If Sheets pitches well and Sabathia works his magic, they could pose a few problems for the other Central division teams.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
I don't think there's any doubt the Central is the strongest NL division. Based on W-L records, Central's 3rd place team would be in 1st in the other two divisions. If you had told me on April 1st that a team could be below .500 and be in 1st place in the NL West, I'd have laughed myself purple in the face. The NL West is one of the ugliest things I've ever seen in baseball. Christ, the Central's LAST place team would still be less than 10 games back in the East and would actually be in the hunt in the West!

Old 07-24-2008, 03:02 PM

Default How We Look as of July 24

Here is where we stand for Thursday, July 24. These are going into Thursday night's action.

Chicago Cubs (59-42) -
Milwaukee Brewers (58-43) 1.0
St Louis Cardinals (57-46) 3.0
Cincinnati Reds (50-53) 10.0
Pittsburgh Pirates (47-54) 12.0
Houston Astros (46-55) 13.0

The Astros, or Disastros, are continuing their Catch-22 season by being swept by the Pirates in Houston. Not a good sign of things to come. They just acquired southpaw Randy Wolf from the Padres, but it may not be enough to turn them around for this year. Roy Oswalt is on the 15-day disabled list. They will have to start home-growing their draft picks and hope someone emerges in the next few years. Meanwhile, the top three teams are closing in on one another. Chicago is still hanging on, but here come the Brewers and Cardinals. And what a story this is in St Louis, who aren't even supposed to be in this race, but yet, there they are, just three games back.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I don't think there's any doubt the Central is the strongest NL division. Based on W-L records, Central's 3rd place team would be in 1st in the other two divisions. If you had told me on April 1st that a team could be below .500 and be in 1st place in the NL West, I'd have laughed myself purple in the face. The NL West is one of the ugliest things I've ever seen in baseball. Christ, the Central's LAST place team would still be less than 10 games back in the East and would actually be in the hunt in the West!
Looks like the 'Stros are in the wrong division this season, my friend.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:15 PM

201 posts, read 479,027 times
I think the Reds have the arms to get back in the race if only the bats could stay consistent. I see the Cardinals dropping, and it being a two way chase with the Cubs winning the division while the Brewers take the wildcard..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.