Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 04:22 PM

479 posts, read 1,555,178 times

Advertisements

Sounds like 7 year, 120 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 04:31 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,140,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyleroux View Post
Sounds like 7 year, 120 million.
Just heard it,finally!

Old 01-05-2010, 04:36 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,299,154 times
The suspense was killing me.

That's a lot of guaranteed cheddar

Old 01-05-2010, 05:50 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,740 times
Now the Cardinals turn to Third Base. Tejada, Lopez, etc...

Old 01-06-2010, 05:33 AM

319 posts, read 634,316 times
Hopefully this won't financially hinder a Pujols extension. If the Cards do sign Pujols again, they're going to have to be creative about putting the rest of the team together.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:30 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,726,531 times
Waste of money?

I think so.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:36 AM

52,685 posts, read 47,940,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeproud View Post
Hopefully this won't financially hinder a Pujols extension. If the Cards do sign Pujols again, they're going to have to be creative about putting the rest of the team together.

I wondered the same thing, too. Holliday will certainly help the lineup, and it's a huge signing, but all that money for 7 years?? You've got to make sure Pujols and some of the pitching staff get taken care of. There's way too much risk with that big of a deal.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:18 PM

611 posts, read 1,458,696 times
Trust me, folks - the Cardinals will do what's necessary to retain Pujols. If they thought for one second that a finished deal with Holliday meant they wouldn't be able to resign Albert, it wouldn't happen. I don't even want to think about what would happen if they let him go (Cards fans would probably revolt), so I can only imagine how the Cardinals' front office feels. They can and will do whatever it takes.

Holliday's contract is a lot of money, but the Cards are in a great position to strongly contend for the NL pennant for the foreseeable future. I also don't anticipate Matt's production totally falling off a cliff as the contract goes on. There are plenty of players 35+ years old that are still very productive, so overall I'm happy.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:20 PM

611 posts, read 1,458,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
Waste of money?

I think so.
You could argue that they overpaid (not saying that's necessarily correct), but I 100% disagree with it being a "waste" somehow.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:41 AM

319 posts, read 634,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTNGuy View Post
Trust me, folks - the Cardinals will do what's necessary to retain Pujols. If they thought for one second that a finished deal with Holliday meant they wouldn't be able to resign Albert, it wouldn't happen. I don't even want to think about what would happen if they let him go (Cards fans would probably revolt), so I can only imagine how the Cardinals' front office feels. They can and will do whatever it takes.

Holliday's contract is a lot of money, but the Cards are in a great position to strongly contend for the NL pennant for the foreseeable future. I also don't anticipate Matt's production totally falling off a cliff as the contract goes on. There are plenty of players 35+ years old that are still very productive, so overall I'm happy.
Pujols will be a free agent in 2012. Let's say Pujols gets $20 million a year minimum, which is a fair low number. That'll be $37 million a year between Pujols and Holliday. That pretty much guarantees that Carpenter's option won't be exercised and he'll leave. If is it exercised, you're now at $52 million over the three guys (and Wainwright's option won't be exercised, it'll be Carp or Wainwright, but not both, in 2012). Lohse gets $12 million, now you're at $64 million. Arbitration raises will also come to Schumaker, McClellan, Kinney and Ryan in 2012, if all of those guys stick around, you're looking at another $15 million between those four, low end. Now you're at $79,000,000 and still have to fill 17 roster spots. Let's place the payroll at $105,000,000 for 2012 (higher then it's ever been). $26,000,000 won't do much to fill up those 17 spots. You're going to have to get creative and hope that guys like Rasmus (who I think is going to be great) and Tyler Greene are for real. And they're going to have to find a way to restock the farm system. Baseball America had the Cards ranked 30th in their most recent (December 2009) system rankings.

Holliday's a great player, but I do think that this puts the Cards in a position where they're going to have, if they do sign Pujols, two great players and then they're going to have to cobble together the rest of the team behind them. To top it off, Holliday's contract will be next to impossible to move if production does drop off at age 32 or so. Long term contracts are extremely high risk/high reward scenarios, ask any Cubs fan how that Soriano deal turned out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball