Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 06:58 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,098,673 times

Advertisements

well it's that time again, baseball's back and the AL East is looking tough as usual. It looks like a 3 team race yet again with Boston, TB and the Yanks battling right through September I suspect. Baltimore looks to be much improved and might be flirting with 500 this yr, Toronto is going to struggle.

Lets see If Beckett can get the Sox off on the right foot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 08:52 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
As much as I like to come in and disagree with people there isn't much I can disagree with here.

Baltimore is young and getting better. Still tough for them to get to .500 having to play the big dogs so often.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:41 AM

293 posts, read 563,456 times
it's all 'bout the SAWX!!!

I'd say we have the strongest 1-2-3 punch with the addition of Lackey, but the back of the rotation is always the X-factor. It's comforting having 3 bona fide guys for the back two spots, given the recent precarious health of Dice and Wake. Hopefully they can return to form and Buck keeps his head screwed on.

In the bullpen, it's going to be fun watching Bard develop; if he can control that 100+ fastball and keep his head, he's going to be devastating. Paps was shaky (for him) last year, and unfortunately our last memory of him was the Postseason meltdown against LA. If he can rebound, and Bard develops like he should, we'll be tough to beat.

Offensively, Bay leaves a big hole and I hate that he was let go, but if Beltre returns to form and Papi doesnt take another 2 month vacation, they should be able to hold there own.

Tampa appears to be much improved, and the billion dollar juggernaut will probably do it's thing again, so on paper it looks like an exciting season.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:06 AM

clear with lows in the upper 50's tonight in Boston, perfect baseball weather.

Go BoSox

Old 04-04-2010, 04:14 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
Barring any major injuries it should be the Yanks and Red Sox in the playoffs as a division winner and wild card team. I just don't see Tampa keeping up for the whole year. Baltimore is a decent young team and Toronto is usually competitive and i'm sure they'll get better but I just see the 2 teams rising to the top as usual. I don't think there is any way that the wild card does not come from the AL East.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:36 PM

interesting game tonight I wouldn't call it a great game, although I was pleased with the result.

Beckett wasn't locating, and early on CC was, so I thought the Sox were in trouble down 4 in the 5th inning, I think CC got tired, both middle relief corps looked shaky but more so the Yanks. all of the new comers from both teams made contributions.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:54 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
For anyone who hasn't seen these. Win probability/leverage index graphs from Fangraphs.

Red Sox » Win Probability » Sunday, April 04, 2010 | FanGraphs Baseball

http://www.fangraphs.com/tgraphs/20100404_Yankees_RedSox_0.png (broken link)

It shows each teams probability of winning the game after each play. An interesting way to keep track of games if you're watching on TV, listening on the radio, watching MLB Gameday or just checking in on some random games.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:38 AM

Beckett seemed to have misplaced all of his offspeed stuff and the yankees arent accomodating enough to chase bad stuff, so that put us in a hole early. It was nice to see the bats finally wake up and see the new guys in the mix. For an offense considered questionable, they made quite a statement for themselves.

Overall not bad by the bullpen either. Ramirez had a tough night, Oki & Bard were a little shaky but got by, Schowenweis was great, which was encouraging. Pap was pap again. Being asked to begin the season by shutting down the heart of the yankees' lineup is a tall task and I was quite satisfied with the result.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:19 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
interesting game tonight I wouldn't call it a great game, although I was pleased with the result.

Beckett wasn't locating, and early on CC was, so I thought the Sox were in trouble down 4 in the 5th inning, I think CC got tired, both middle relief corps looked shaky but more so the Yanks. all of the new comers from both teams made contributions.
Kind of what I expected. Last few years it seams that we start slow and the bullpen starts off weak. Last year you beat us the first 8 times and we won the last 9 out of 10. (I think that was the breakdown) We rarely come flying out of the gate.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:58 AM

it's funny how we all have our own slow and quick starters......Ellsbury and Papi have gotten off to a slow start the past couple years, while youks and pedrioa tend to come out of the gate on fire. Sunday night was definitely a good example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball