Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 01:06 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,677 times

Advertisements

Off the top, I am a Laker fan. I am elated they won the title.

With that said, is it me, or was this one of the ugliest Finals series in a long time? The games were slow, disjointed, and full of flailing arms. The games seemed to stop ALL THE TIME! I like good defense just as much as the next fan. But at some point it no longer looks like basketball.

I say this because I was introduced to basketball by watching the Lakers and Celtics in the 1980's. Those teams always scored 100+ points a game. They scored rapidly and the games just flowed. This series had no flow and no rhythm.

I can honestly say I really did not enjoy watching much of this series. But I am a fan. I will watch anyway. I just wonder what casual observers took away from this series.

I just wanted to know what others took away from the series regarding the visual appeal of NBA basketball on its highest stage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 01:10 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times
I think the refs in the first 4 games played too influential a role in the outcome of the games, with horrible calls. Tonight's game was a nail-biting climax, I'm just glad it didn't turn out to be a Game 6 style blowout.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:24 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,190 times
Yea man...the only game I liked in the series was Game 2. I agree about the refs. I feel like they did too much babysitting with the players, with all of the petty foul calls and stuff. There is no reason why half of the teams points in a quarter should come from the FT line. Ridiculous! The finals sure ain't what it used to be.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:33 AM

I am definitely one to jump on the refs. But part of it is the players, too. Do you know what these games would have looked like if the refs "just let them play?" It would have been like a UFC cage match. When you have two teams that are playing "physical" basketball the refs are forced to step in an manage it. The problem is they can never manage it to anyone's satisfaction.

If being very physical is part of your game plan, then you are inviting the refs to impact the outcome of the game. Maybe the teams themselves should rely more on skill and speed and less on so-called defense. It's not defense when you grab, push, hook, slap, and lay on players.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:35 AM

79 posts, read 238,293 times
I think the pressure of it being a game 7 not to mention fatigue took its toll on the players being that both L.A and Boston as teams had horrible shooting performances. Boston had every chance to win it in the second half but couldn't come up with any shots. The same goes for kobe being off all night. The difference in this game basically boiled down to who wanted it more and L.A ran with it and pulled it out in the 4th quarter.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:46 AM

I think the pressure and the fact these guys have played so many games up to this point. I mean, you have 82 regular season games, and then four rounds of playoffs. By the time these teams arrived at game seven they had to be exhausted. But the players from 20 years ago had the same grind. So maybe that is really not an excuse.

I do think the collective age of the Celtics played a factor. They completely ran out of gas down the stretch.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:39 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
Off the top, I am a Laker fan. I am elated they won the title.

With that said, is it me, or was this one of the ugliest Finals series in a long time? The games were slow, disjointed, and full of flailing arms. The games seemed to stop ALL THE TIME! I like good defense just as much as the next fan. But at some point it no longer looks like basketball.

I say this because I was introduced to basketball by watching the Lakers and Celtics in the 1980's. Those teams always scored 100+ points a game. They scored rapidly and the games just flowed. This series had no flow and no rhythm.

I can honestly say I really did not enjoy watching much of this series. But I am a fan. I will watch anyway. I just wonder what casual observers took away from this series.

I just wanted to know what others took away from the series regarding the visual appeal of NBA basketball on its highest stage.
No, the Rockets/Knicks Finals was uglier. The Celtics and Lakers only really played one ugly game.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:57 AM

207 posts, read 353,815 times
82 game season. A tough playoffs. A grueling physical 7 games Finals. Two Heavyweights mentally and physically spent in the late rounds. It is what it is. I really wouldnt call it ugly. This was not easy for either team. Two great teams going all out...for the NBA CHAMPIONSHIP!

Old 06-18-2010, 09:36 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
It was ugly at times because as people mentioned before, the refs decided to make themselves the stars of the game for a good deal of the time. On Boston sports radio, they were talking about the refs the entire series...not that they were favoring the Lakers, but the fact that they wouldn't let these two teams play the game.

What's even uglier than the ref situation is my stomach/bowels this morning. Destroying your body with alcohol is definitely not a good way to mourn a loss.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:43 AM

207 posts, read 353,815 times
the officiating was not the greatest especially in the earlier games. i think it improved in the later games. but yeah very true alot of people were not too happy about the officiating including both teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball