Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 12:10 PM

32,109 posts, read 34,732,040 times

Advertisements

It's hard to make the argument that Kobe would destroy Lebron. I just don't think he can given Lebron's size and prowess. But if Phil Jackson says that Kobe has better basketball skills than Jordan, then it stands to reason that he is a much more skilled player than Lebron James. I think Lebron is very skilled as well, and he may be sufficiently skilled where the skill differential won't be as important as the size/strength differential. But some guys can just ball and Kobe is one of them. I'd put D-Wade at number two. If Lebron were 5'10 and 150 lbs, I think he'd still be a good player, but not nearly as good as Kobe and Wade. He'd still have excellent floor vision and basketball intelligence. But he's just not a baller the way Kobe or even D-Wade is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v8souJhWdE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 12:24 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,708,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If Lebron were 5'10 and 150 lbs, I think he'd still be a good player
If Lebron were that size, he'd have a skillset consistent with players at that size. By the same token, if Kobe Bryant was 7 feet he'd be a different player as well. Kobe and Wade are both more 'skilled' than Lebron and they have to be, while both are athletic they don't have overpowering dominating athleticism like Lebron. Lebron's unlike anyone who's ever played the game, the power and size of Karl Malone, the speed of a point guard in the open court, and Jordan's hops. No-one has ever had that kind of combination before.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
^^I think your points about Bron playing the higher percentage game are spot on. However, I'm not sure how often Bron would be able to finish against Kobe. I think it would still be a challenge. We're talking about Kobe Bryant, not Rip Hamilton.
Bron finishes in traffic against larger inside players. Kobe is a 6'6 guard with declining athletic skills. I don't think Kobe would even try to challenge Lebron at the rim, so he'd have to keep him out on the perimeter and goad Lebron into taking jumpshots.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
If Lebron were that size, he'd have a skillset consistent with players at that size. By the same token, if Kobe Bryant was 7 feet he'd be a different player as well. Kobe and Wade are both more 'skilled' than Lebron and they have to be, while both are athletic they don't have overpowering dominating athleticism like Lebron. Lebron's unlike anyone who's ever played the game, the power and size of Karl Malone, the speed of a point guard in the open court, and Jordan's hops. No-one has ever had that kind of combination before.
I meant if the three players were to get out of bed tomorrow as bite-sized versions of themselves. Not if they had developed their games in those bodies from high school up.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Bron finishes in traffic against larger inside players. Kobe is a 6'6 guard with declining athletic skills. I don't think Kobe would even try to challenge Lebron at the rim, so he'd have to keep him out on the perimeter and goad Lebron into taking jumpshots.
I just don't see Lebron jamming all over Kobe the way he does on everyone else. It would be a difficult path to the basket for him though he'd definitely get some dunks in.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I meant if the three players were to get out of bed tomorrow as bite-sized versions of themselves. Not if they had developed their games in those bodies from high school up.
Well then yeah, clearly he's behind Kobe and Wade then, because you've removed his size from the equation, which is one of his biggest advantages. We all agree skillwise Kobe is better.

Quote:
I just don't see Lebron jamming all over Kobe the way he does on everyone else. It would be a difficult path to the basket for him though he'd definitely get some dunks in.
Why do you think he couldn't dunk over Kobe like everyone else? Kobe isn't nearly the athlete he was 5 years ago, hell I've noted a considerable dropoff since his MVP year back in 2008. My question is, at this stage in their careers, who would get to the basket easier, Kobe or Lebron? Who is more likely to finish at the rim over the other, Lebron over Kobe, or Kobe over Lebron? If Kobe can control things from the perimeter, he wins. But if he gets goaded into making it an inside game, Lebron has the advantage.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:35 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,718,740 times
Whatever you guys say, Lebron is not going to steamroll Kobe everytime he goes to the basket.

Despite his lack of quickness, Kobe can still get up in the air pretty quickly.

Kobe also has fast hands and decent blocking ability due to his height.

Lebron has no answer or any effective defense for Kobe's turnaround jumper.

Part of the time, Kobe will strip Lebron while Lebron is trying to drive to the basket.

I think some of you are underrated Kobe's moves to the basket. You act like the guy has arthritis in his knees. Despite his declining quickness, Kobe can still get to the basket easily.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:43 PM

You try to talk about Lebron contesting Kobe's jumpshots. At 47, Jordan shoots better than half the players in the NBA.

At age 47, I can guarantee you that Jordan would shoot over Lebron all day long!

Lebron can't even stop a 47 year old Jordan's shots, he sure is not stopping Kobe on the perimeter.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:51 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times
If i was a betting man, i would still take Lebron 8 out of 10 times due to the higher % shots he would take. Once he starts backing down low and slowly backing in, his chances of making the shot are better than shooting jumpers. I remember him last year sealing off Artest and made him look like a weakling during their X-Mas game.

If they played HORSE, Kobe would kill him though.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:53 PM

Omg, you guys act like Kobe has no moves inside.

Kobe has moves inside due to the repertoire of footwork he possess.

This forum never amazes me. You all act like weed smokers.

Do you all think that Kobe is just going to shoot jumpers on Lebron all day???

Get out of here. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball