Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 12:47 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,534,516 times

Advertisements

Well I called it. Any real person with basketball experience saw this coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 12:53 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
You hit the nail on the head. The Grizzlies exposed the Spurs. Duncan is no longer a dominant player. Richard Jefferson is turning out to be a dssapointment and the Spurs lack of size and quickness got exploited by a Grizzlies team that consistently played at a higher energy level.
..... there's that damn word again! I thought college football season was over?

Anyway, I'm proud of em regardless. This wont take away from the 12 years of success and 4 titles they've EARNED. No one can take that away, especially those who hate the Spurs (for some dumbass reason).

And on top of that, the last thing I'd ever wanna see is the Lakers in the finals again, let alone winning it. I just don't wanna hear more Californian transplants and bandwagonners *** about Kobe being better than Jordan.... *gag*.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:00 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
..... there's that damn word again! I thought college football season was over?

Anyway, I'm proud of em regardless. This wont take away from the 12 years of success and 4 titles they've EARNED. No one can take that away, especially those who hate the Spurs (for some dumbass reason).

And on top of that, the last thing I'd ever wanna see is the Lakers in the finals again, let alone winning it. I just don't wanna hear more Californian transplants and bandwagonners *** about Kobe being better than Jordan.... *gag*.

He will be considered better than MJ if he gets ring number 7

Old 05-01-2011, 01:06 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
Kobes rings come with the bog * also known as shaq, and then there is the fact mj never missed the playoffs in his prime, won finals mvps each time he went, scored more and better. Mj was just all around better.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:13 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I don't believe so. Too many circumstantial differences with regards to their championships. Afterall, many people were calling Jordan the GOAT after the first three-peat, and he was behind someone like Magic in the rings count.

I think you have to look at it as Kobe for the most part has always had a very talented team capable of contending( minus the 2005-2007 period post-Shaq). Plus, Jordan was the undisputed man on 6 championship teams, and he's the only guard that has anchored a championship team like that without a dominant or semi-dominant scoring big-man. Jordan won with Horace Grant, a 'garbage' scorer with a decent midrange jumpshot, and Rodman who had no offensive capabilites at the PF positions, and Bill Cartwright and Longley at center. Kobe has had the benefit of playing with a prime Shaq, and Gasol and Bynum( when healthy). Jordan never had a big-man as dominant scoring-wise as any of those guys on his team.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:14 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Hell naw...

Old 05-01-2011, 01:26 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I don't believe so. Too many circumstantial differences with regards to their championships. Afterall, many people were calling Jordan the GOAT after the first three-peat, and he was behind someone like Magic in the rings count.

I think you have to look at it as Kobe for the most part has always had a very talented team capable of contending( minus the 2005-2007 period post-Shaq). Plus, Jordan was the undisputed man on 6 championship teams, and he's the only guard that has anchored a championship team like that without a dominant or semi-dominant scoring big-man. Jordan won with Horace Grant, a 'garbage' scorer with a decent midrange jumpshot, and Rodman who had no offensive capabilites at the PF positions, and Bill Cartwright and Longley at center. Kobe has had the benefit of playing with a prime Shaq, and Gasol and Bynum( when healthy). Jordan never had a big-man as dominant scoring-wise as any of those guys on his team.
None of that will matter if he gets number 7. Plus I don't consider Gasol or Bynum ominant big men

Old 05-01-2011, 01:42 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times
Quote:
None of that will matter if he gets number 7. Plus I don't consider Gasol or Bynum ominant big men
I think it will. 'Perception' is reality very often when comparing players at this level. I don't consider Gasol and Bynum 'dominant' either; I used the term 'semi-dominant' in my last post as well, and I think you can put Gasol in that category. Bynum as well in flashes when he's healthy.

My main point is that if you look at the notable championship teams of the recent past, just about all of them featured a scoring big: The Lakers with Kareem, then with Shaq, onto Gasol( not as dominant,but still in this day and age one of the top bigmen), The Rockets with Hakeem, the Celtics with Parish, Mchale, Garnett, The Spurs with Duncan and Robinson( in 1999). The Bulls dynasty is the only dynasty in the past 30 years to not feature any big-man as a viable post scoring option. And at the heart of that, is Michael Jordan. And let's not forget, Jordan did this in an era with the greatest collection of dominant bigmen, under rules that didn't favor the perimeter offensive player like it does now.

Kobe, while he would be great in any era, benefits from rule changes designed to allow the offensive perimeter player practically unimpeded access to the basket. That's why there's been an explosion of great scoring guards in the last decade. That's why Steve Nash went from a very good player to a 2-time MVP and now certain hall of famer.

The reality is, Kobe is seen as an imitator of Jordan's game. The public at large will never accept that he's better, even if he's nearly as talented and skilled. Which, for the record, I believe he is. But I also believe that Jordan was better at shot selection, picking his spots, minimizing his weaknesses. The difference between Jordan and Kobe is less an issue of skill, and more an issue of IQ and utilization of skills.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:19 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,973 times
Well, I can say I definitely dont want to see the Lakers win again...

Old 05-01-2011, 02:30 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
Quote:
By this math Russell is by far better then Jordan, it's not even close. He'll Russell is better then mj and Duncan combined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball