Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:48 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,059,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Everyone who watches college basketball knows that it's basically NC and Duke every year and then everyone else. Those two programs are like Nortre Dame in football. Doesn't even matter what year or if their good, they will always get showtime on cable.....
You may be right about the Notre Dame football comparison with one exception... Duke and UNC actually win national championships... Just look at the last 10-20 years and how many times they've won the national championship. They do actually win.... They're not paper champs like Notre Dame in football, when was the last time they won anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 07:49 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,969,405 times
Quote:

Everyone who watches college basketball knows that it's basically NC and Duke every year and then everyone else. Those two programs are like Nortre Dame in football. Doesn't even matter what year or if their good, they will always get showtime on cable...That's just the way it is..Look at Harrison Barnes-cover of Espn the magazine before the season started. Very over-rated. Definately not the best player in college basketball like he's been touted..
maybe I'm a bit biased, but I feel kinda sorry for Barnes. I think people had this vision(admittedly, myself to a degree) that he was gonna come in and average 25-30 points a game, and be this unstoppable force. I mean, the first freshmen to ever be named a preseason All-American? Even I thought that was stupid. Even still, he's had 2 very good years at UNC, and does exactly what we should have expected in the first place. His freshmen year, he averaged nearly 16pts a game, 6 rebounds a game, and this year he is averaging just over 17 a game(which leads the team) and 5 rebounds, and as icing on the cake, he can take over a game, and is very clutch down the stretch. Plus, for him to average 17 a game when a big part of UNC's game is to get it down low to fellow future first rounders Zeller and Henson is impressive to me.

He's only considered overrated by people who follow college bball, knew the ridiculous hype surrounding him, but dont really watch him play. If he was average 9-11 points a game, then yes overrated, but not the way he's played at Carolina.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:39 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Quote:

Everyone who watches college basketball knows that it's basically NC and Duke every year and then everyone else. Those two programs are like Nortre Dame in football. Doesn't even matter what year or if their good, they will always get showtime on cable...That's just the way it is..Look at Harrison Barnes-cover of Espn the magazine before the season started. Very over-rated. Definately not the best player in college basketball like he's been touted..
I hope you are just talking about the ACC and not the entire country. If you're talking about the entire country, most people definitely do not think that. If you think that, you are living in some isolated fantasy world. Duke and UNC rivalry gets a lot of play but thinking that it is just them and THEN everyone else is very ignorant. Kansas has far more wins and conference titles than both of them over the last 15-20 years. In fact, no one has been better than KU over the last 20 years in college basketball.

Harrison Barnes was only on the cover for the East Coast. Thomas Robinson was on the cover for the Midwest and someone else for the West Coast cover. The cover was regional.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:50 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,153,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I hope you are just talking about the ACC and not the entire country. If you're talking about the entire country, most people definitely do not think that. If you think that, you are living in some isolated fantasy world. Duke and UNC rivalry gets a lot of play but thinking that it is just them and THEN everyone else is very ignorant. Kansas has far more wins and conference titles than both of them over the last 15-20 years. In fact, no one has been better than KU over the last 20 years in college basketball.

Harrison Barnes was only on the cover for the East Coast. Thomas Robinson was on the cover for the Midwest and someone else for the West Coast cover. The cover was regional.

No I don't exactly mean just those two programs. But they get alot of clout, even if they have a so-so year. Take my team, Syracuse. Them and Kentucky have been beating up on everyone all year, yet, you still hear about Duke/ did at first Carolina. Kentucky has one of the winningest program in b-ball history. They get talked about alot too. Then there is usually Kansas, Syracuse, and a whole lot of others. That consistently have pretty good years..But let's be honest here. They love them some Duke/ N. Carolina before most other teams, and for various reasons.

And fyi, I am a college basketball fan and I watch many other teams. I have watched Harrison Barnes and he was highly over touted. So many other players haven't been mentioned, yet are winning more..

In my mind Jared Sullinger right be right up there. He's a solid college player, but way over-hyped. He will be very limited in the pro's. He'll most likely be a lackluster pro or a come off the bench pro..For the pro level, I'm just not buying his game for his position.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:59 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,758 times
No one better than Kansas? Are you sure?

Since 1990...
Kansas:
- 1 National Championship (08) with 5 Final Four (or best) appearances. Given that most seasons, Kansas was a 1 seed, you would expect better results.

UNC:
- 3 National Championships (93,05,09) with 9 Final Four (or best) appearances.

Duke:
- 4 National Championships (91,92,01,10) with 8 Final Four (or best) appearances.

Based on the facts, there are more than just these 2 ACC schools who have done better than Kansas over the last 20 years.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:20 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,153,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post

Since 1990...
Kansas:
- 1 National Championship (08) with 5 Final Four (or best) appearances. Given that most seasons, Kansas was a 1 seed, you would expect better results.

UNC:

Duke:
- 4 National Championships (91,92,01,10) with 8 Final Four (or best) appearances.

Based on the facts, there are more than just these 2 ACC schools who have done better than Kansas over the last 20 years.

I'm not saying that there aren't better teams. I think Kansas is a powerhouse program. Probably a slight overall notch above Syracuse. But what I am saying. Out of the ten to fifteen overall basketball programs that are usually top notch. Duke/ Carolina has been the most talked about in the last ten to twenty years. It's because who has gone to N. Carolina and Coach K. The college basketball world is in love with their legacies.

I don't know what I am saying that is so bizarre. Take Dickie V, for instance. Everyone knows that guy has wet dreams about Duke..He's a big time college announcer (a little out of his marbles but that's besides the point). He'll find a way no matter what game their watching to mention DUke. And the same goes for N. Carolina! They always find a way to have to talk about them. If N. Carolina or Duke had the same record as Syracuse or Kentucky right now, we would be hearing about them all day on sport channels. Becuase it's Kentucky (which is rediculous to me/ I personally think their the most hall of fame college program in history) and Syracuse, it's just a little mention here and there..

Last edited by supermanpansy; 03-05-2012 at 12:57 PM..

Old 03-05-2012, 07:06 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,758 times
Both Syracuse and Kentucky get name dropped all the time too. I haven't watched a Kentucky or Syracuse game yet I know all about Anthony Davis and Fab Melo. Front page here was "Kentucky Goes Undefeated in SEC Play" and I live nowhere near Kentucky and live in ACC country. They get plenty of love too.

Back to Dickie V, you got to remember he spends the vast majority of his time covering ACC games, particularly UNC and Duke. Since both have been successful, I don't see the big deal. It's not like these are the only things he talks about. He has talked about other schools as well. You want to see bias check out College Gameday for football; that is bias.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:26 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
Quote:
I'm not saying that there aren't better teams. I think Kansas is a powerhouse program. Probably a slight overall notch above Syracuse. But what I am saying. Out of the ten to fifteen overall basketball programs that are usually top notch. Duke/ Carolina has been the most talked about in the last ten to twenty years. It's because who has gone to N. Carolina and Coach K. The college basketball world is in love with their legacies.

I don't know what I am saying that is so bizarre. Take Dickie V, for instance. Everyone knows that guy has wet dreams about Duke..He's a big time college announcer (a little out of his marbles but that's besides the point). He'll find a way no matter what game their watching to mention DUke. And the same goes for N. Carolina! They always find a way to have to talk about them. If N. Carolina or Duke had the same record as Syracuse or Kentucky right now, we would be hearing about them all day on sport channels. Becuase it's Kentucky (which is rediculous to me/ I personally think their the most hall of fame college program in history) and Syracuse, it's just a little mention here and there..
or it could be that for the past 21 years that 1 out of every 3 national title has gone to duke or UNC

Old 03-06-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Kansas has far more wins and conference titles than both of them over the last 15-20 years. In fact, no one has been better than KU over the last 20 years in college basketball.
That is just dead wrong information. How many national championships does KU have over the last 20 years slick? How many Final Fours?

UNC has had 3 national championships during that time (93, 05, 09) and 9 Final Fours... Duke's had 4 but I won't go on defending Duke!

I know you are a UNC hater but numbers don't lie historically and/or over the last 20 years, UNC > KU period. YES, I know KU beat the crap out of UNC in 08 and NO I am still not over it.. but overall, KU has not had the same level of success as UNC or Duke in the last 20 years or ever historically. I won't even mention all the 1st and 2nd round early exits, didn't KU lose to Bucknell one year recently? COME ON MAN!

Old 03-06-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post

Since 1990...
Kansas:

UNC:

Duke:

Great post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball