Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 02:37 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Mutombo wasn't really that great, after his rookie year he never averaged more than 13 and change ppg. Are we sure he is a slam dunk HOF'er?
His career totals in blocks and rebounds, 4 x defensive player of the year, 8 x all-star games, 3 x all-nba make a decent case for him.

However, I think the fact of the matter is that he is WIDELY respected around the league for his humanitarian work and so forth and that is the likely difference maker when it comes down to the vote IMO.

I wouldn't bet my house on him making the HOF....but I would bet $1,000 even up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 02:56 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,487,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
His career totals in blocks and rebounds, 4 x defensive player of the year, 8 x all-star games, 3 x all-nba make a decent case for him.

However, I think the fact of the matter is that he is WIDELY respected around the league for his humanitarian work and so forth and that is the likely difference maker when it comes down to the vote IMO.

I wouldn't bet my house on him making the HOF....but I would bet $1,000 even up.
Sure, I wouldn't be shocked if he got in, but when Greg brought it up, I just took a look at his career numbers and they didn't "scream" HOF to me. Agreed that he was well liked/respected also.

All I know is if he gets in, I gurantee the finger wag makes its way into the acceptance speech.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Sure, I wouldn't be shocked if he got in, but when Greg brought it up, I just took a look at his career numbers and they didn't "scream" HOF to me. Agreed that he was well liked/respected also.

All I know is if he gets in, I gurantee the finger wag makes its way into the acceptance speech.
His career scoring numbers no....but his other numbers and multiple selections yes.

Mutumbo has long been one of my favs if for no other reason than if he were 6'0 tall he'd probably be a pediatrician somewhere. Easily one of the smartest NBA players of all time....they should have him running the players union.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:37 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,376 times
Quote:
The same can be said of a guy like Rodman, who just looking at scoring numbers certainly isn't HOF worthy. Mutumbo is one of the greatest defensive forces the game has ever seen, and as Math said his humanitarian work on behalf of the league will certainly garner attention. Think about this way, you've got guys like Joe Dumars in the HOF( he was a very good player but it's not like he has overwhelming numbers or ever considered a top 10-15 player in his prime). Mutumbo definitely has the credentials for HOF consideration, just on on-court impact alone. Never won a ring, but there's plenty in the hall already who didn't.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:26 PM

358 posts, read 710,814 times
Paul at #4 is a joke. Way overrated. And I'm a Hornets guy.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:34 PM

Durant and Kobe have certainly been bringing it so far this season.

Durant in particular I may have to move up into the top 2/3 at this rate.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:51 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,669,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
90's Center pool was deeper in terms of top level talent, I'm not sure how this is even debatable. Shaq,Howard, and Yao are the only dominant/all-star caliber centers this decade, and Yao's career was effectively over after 6 years and he's out of the league now. A guy like Bynum would be slightly above average in the 90's, and he's considered one of the best( when healthy) in this era. That should tell you something. Ben Wallace for a 4-5 year window was a prominent force ( defensively) and wouldn't have been nearly as highly regarded in the 90's.

The 90's had Hakeem, Shaq, Robinson, Ewing, Mutumbo, Mourning all at or near the peak of their powers. 6 sure-fire hall of famers, who would no doubt be at the very top of the league at the center position if they played today. Then you go down the next peg to guys like Brad Daugherty and Rik Smits. The greatest collection of star talent at the center position, all playing in their primes, was the 90's. Easily.
You conveniently left out Tim Duncan...and Yao's is not up there. And Bynum is not one of the best centers of the decade. Also neither Mourning or Mutumbo are sure fire hall of famers. And Tim Duncan and Shaq are above anyone on that list from the 90's

Old 12-31-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
You conveniently left out Tim Duncan...and Yao's is not up there. And Bynum is not one of the best centers of the decade. Also neither Mourning or Mutumbo are sure fire hall of famers. And Tim Duncan and Shaq are above anyone on that list from the 90's
Olajuwon in his prime was as good as anyone that has played in the NBA. He didn't maintain for as long as some....but as much of a Duncan and Shaq fan as I am....they are not better than Olajuwon.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:26 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Except Tim Duncan is listed as a power forward, so no I didn't conveniently leave him out. And even if you want to include Duncan since there is a debate as to his 'true' position, the list of star centers in the 2000's is still smaller. Nor did I say Bynum is one of the best of the decade. Perhaps I should clarify that he's considered one of the best now( when healthy). Which shows you the state of things in this era for the center, because Bynum would be completely average in the 90's.

Perhaps I need to remind you that Shaq had 8 seasons of dominance in the 90's, before you go listing him as a 2000's center. In fact, he had more dominant seasons in the 90's, than he did in 2000's. Or did you conveniently forget that?

Both Mutumbo and Mourning are HOF bound, maybe not first ballot, but they're in.

Duncan and Shaq over every center in the 90's? Ever heard of Hakeem Olajuwan?

Old 01-02-2012, 09:46 PM

297 posts, read 401,393 times
I'm a Laker fan but I think Kobe at #7 is just right. Let's face it. He's getting older and there are a lot of other talented players who are just younger and probably better. Hope Kobe can prove me wrong but I think that is pretty accurate.

I think Gasol is a little too high and Bynum too low. I see big things for Byum this year. He could be considered very close to top 10 by years end. If he can stay healthy of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball