Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 06:19 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,736,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I would define ballhog as someone that has a large number of FGA's, and a low shooting %. A lack of assists is also indicative.

NBA & ABA Year-by-Year Top 10 Leaders and Records for Field Goal Attempts | Basketball-Reference.com
That's more or less my definition too, but it seems weird calling a big man a ball hog since even if he's a black hole the ball doesn't usually spend a lot of time in his hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 07:31 PM

286 posts, read 331,893 times
Wilt and Kobe

Old 05-08-2013, 09:28 PM

130 posts, read 226,598 times
World B. Free, Carmelo Anthony, Allen Iverson, J.R. Smith, James Harden, Antoine Walker, Steve Francis, Nick Van Exel, Stephon Marbury, Brandon Jennings, Monte Ellis, Nick Young, Russell Westbrook

Old 05-08-2013, 11:06 PM
Jza

259 posts, read 379,985 times
Kobe Bryant, Russel Westbrook, Gilbert Arenas, Allen Iverson, Tracy McGrady. I was a big fan of Tmac too before he and his cousin Vince Carter turned into under achievers considering the skill set and abilities they had. These guys shot their teams out of so many games playing hero ball. Kobe did it sometimes out of necessity so can't be too hard on him, same with Tmac.

Someone said Steve Francis, gonna have to agree, he's another chucker. Antoine Walker also with his big head.

Who remembers Travis Best? This dude played for the Pacers back in the day. I'm no Pacers fan, but every time I watched them play this guy would get the ball and dribble. He'd dribble some more... a little more... more dribbling working on his AND 1 mix tape or something. He'd dribble around the perimeter for a good 20 seconds and hot potato pass the ball to some poor sap on his team Iverson style with no time left on the shot clock, proving you don't need to chuck a ton of shots to be a ball hog.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:20 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,399,426 times
Default Westbrook and Anthony - it's all about them

I've noticed others before. Allen Iverson, Gilbert Arenas, Stephon Marbury, Kobe at times, and many others mentioned here. But I have never seen two worst ball hogs than Carmelo Anthony and Russell Westbrook. These two guys are in a league of their own.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:39 AM

130 posts, read 226,598 times
Default Harden goin's gets his 2 playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
But I have never seen two worst ball hogs than Carmelo Anthony and Russell Westbrook. These two guys are in a league of their own.
I totally agree w u there. A close 3rd would have to be James Harden though...have u seen him play w Houston this year...talk about hero ball LOL. He's one of those guys who seems like the more he misses the more he chucks...it's all about him. I'll never forget, I think it was game 5 vs OKC, Francisco Garcia was shooting like Larry Bird the whole series, and had just buried back to back threes...Harden drives, draws the triple team, Garcia ALL ALONE on the baseline licking his chops, Harden looks at him...then decides Garcia's had his fair share, it's times to gets mines playa, and throws up some wild out of control "shot" over 3 defenders....what a joke Harden is.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:53 AM

78,477 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
In MY definition of ballhog (the playground definition everyone grew up with) , the end result of the shot or whether he has achieved successes/championships is immaterial. Ball goes in and never comes back out.
Successes/Championships on the playground are immaterial......in the NBA.....not so much.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:57 AM

78,477 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
I've noticed others before. Allen Iverson, Gilbert Arenas, Stephon Marbury, Kobe at times, and many others mentioned here. But I have never seen two worst ball hogs than Carmelo Anthony and Russell Westbrook. These two guys are in a league of their own.
You make some great observations there. "kobe at times" is really well said, because when he's playing with poise and balance he's not a ballhog but he has had a few spots in his career where he's lost that balance by trying too hard.

Westbrook in particular is terrible in this regard especially considering the talent around him. I told a friend last year that the future of OKC depends upon how Westbrook matures. The jury is still out there.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:29 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,043,625 times
Quote:
How could I have forgotten AI? THE worst. Ever.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:49 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,011,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
How could I have forgotten AI? THE worst. Ever.
He never played with a legitimate super-star player while he was on the 76ers. So what do you expect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball