Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 01:39 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times

Advertisements

I like LeBron as a person.

Let's keep it 100, as a public figure he's not bad at all. The guy helps out in his community when he has to, he talks to kids at school, he's not a drug dealer, he's not a rapist, he's not a criminal, he's not a bad person. He's a decent person and it's his right to think for himself and do what is best for him. He didn't just get up and leave Cleveland, he tried recruiting others but no one wanted to be there. Yeah, he made a poor choice with "the Decision" and his "three kings of Miami" introduction speech with the "it's going to be easy and not one, not two, so on" but like he said, that was taken way out of context.

I root against the Heat, not because of LeBron but because Miami is the team to beat in the league. Automatically makes everyone else the underdog and the way I see it, I'm an underdog fan. I want as many accomplished players getting their shot because I know Miami will win 2-3 of them by 2015. That's why I don't root for the Heat but to be quite honest, LeBron's not a bad person whatsoever.

He's maintained a lot of class for what people have thrown at him in my opinion and yeah sure, he's said some goofy things but we all do that. It's not fair to judge him off that, he's a person and an athlete and on the court he doesn't disappoint and off the court, he's as good as anybody.

LeBron played great in Cleveland, yes it sucks that he's gone for their fans but I'm sure a guy who still owns and visits his home there has love for his home state. I honestly think people that hold the Decision against him need to get over it because to become a great, he needs to win, and let's be honest. He would have never won in Cleveland. I think it's time to stop holding that against him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 07:03 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post
I like LeBron as a person.

Let's keep it 100, as a public figure he's not bad at all. The guy helps out in his community when he has to, he talks to kids at school, he's not a drug dealer, he's not a rapist, he's not a criminal, he's not a bad person. He's a decent person and it's his right to think for himself and do what is best for him. He didn't just get up and leave Cleveland, he tried recruiting others but no one wanted to be there. Yeah, he made a poor choice with "the Decision" and his "three kings of Miami" introduction speech with the "it's going to be easy and not one, not two, so on" but like he said, that was taken way out of context.
It's not just that, it's the fact that he's been very cocky, arrogant, and immature.

Didn't he make a comment after the Dallas loss about the fans going back to their pathetic lives or something like that?

To be the alleged GOAT, dude sure is a insecure whiner.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:13 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
It's not just that, it's the fact that he's been very cocky, arrogant, and immature.

Didn't he make a comment after the Dallas loss about the fans going back to their pathetic lives or something like that?

To be the alleged GOAT, dude sure is a insecure whiner.

Lebron James, when asked if he was upset with all the criticism after the finals loss:

"Absolutely not," James said. "Because at the end of the day, all the people that were rooting for me to fail, they have to wake up tomorrow and have the same life that they had before they woke up today. They have the same personal problems they had today. I'm going to continue to live the way I want to live and continue to do the things that I want to do with me and my family and be happy with that."

Old 06-06-2013, 09:24 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
I'm not saying that just to say it. I'm trying to point out that skill trumps talent. Slow LBJ down with a bad knee injury or something like that and how does he stay effective? In other words, those ageless players you see that are good for like 20 years? those guy's usually have exceptional skills that keep them going after they begin to slow down, ala Jordan. Then you have guys that fade away. I'm not saying that will happen to LeBron but he is certainly more of a physical specimen than a skilled athlete. Does that make any sense?
No one is like Jordan.

You can't deny that Lebron is a hall of famer and better than most in the league.

He is definitely skilled, probably not as much as Kobe or Jordan but he's more skilled than most in the league.

He he'll be remembered as one of the best of this generation, like him or not.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:30 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,968 times
Don't you notice that much of the hatred towards Lebron are from Texas residents? Hmmmm...

Old 06-30-2013, 10:37 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Default He's underwhelming as a player IMO

His game doesn't excite me. I just don't like his style of play. Overall, I think he has been shoved down our throats and is overexposed. It's as if the NBA thinks it needs to create another Michael Jordan-like figure to boost the NBA, and James is the chosen one. I don't like it.

Maybe if I saw less of him, I might be able to tolerate him better, but he does nothing for me as a player.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:28 AM

462 posts, read 427,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
His game doesn't excite me. I just don't like his style of play. Overall, I think he has been shoved down our throats and is overexposed. It's as if the NBA thinks it needs to create another Michael Jordan-like figure to boost the NBA, and James is the chosen one. I don't like it.

Maybe if I saw less of him, I might be able to tolerate him better, but he does nothing for me as a player.
So, Jordan wasn't overexposed during his career? Hell, Jordan hasn't played since 2003, and he's STILL in the press quite often.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:51 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
The Decision was a PR mistake but great of the kids he helped.
He said some stupid things when we was young and the first year with the Heat.

Losing to the Mavs was the best thing that happened to Lebron for his career. He has admitted this.

People saying he is arrogant don't know the guy at all. He is a supreme unselfish player. He is all team first. Yes he knows he is the best player on this planet but he also knows he only goes as far as the team. The past two years you can see how he has really matured into a great leader on and off the court. And to think he has never done anything off the court that has caused any problems at all. He is a good father and is marrying his girlfriend from high school. He is family and team first type of guy. He takes less money to try to win and everyone hates him. IMO part of this is where he went. I think if he went to Chicago or NY people would like him more.

And for those saying he isn't that great, does not have the killer instinct or the clutch gene. I think game 6 and 7 of the Finals this year answered those critics. Lebron is just getting started.

"Not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4.... It is not so funny anymore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
The Decisionâ„¢ was an bad PR move and they put their foots in their mouths with a lot of the things they said, but let's not forget that it raised $6 million for charity.
Can't believe it took this long for someone to say this! It was a bad PR move but Lebron was immature then and thought why not HELP KIDS! Lebron can't do anything right in the minds of some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
^^sure why not? Those teams had very serviceable parts.

I agree, but I still cant help rooting against Lebron. Part of it for me is those who think he's as good as Jordan or even Kobe. I just dont see it. He's a phenomenal physical specimen, but he's not as good a basketball player.
He is a better passer and defender than both. Kobe and Jordan got their jump shot better than Lebron but even Lebron is getting much better at that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
He screwed Cleveland and is self-entited. Is that all you need?
Yes because leaving an organization which failed to put a good team around him is screwing them. He was a free agent. Do you understand what being a free agent means?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post

If you don't like his great all around game what type of game do you like? Are you a fan of basketball? Maybe you like Kobe jumpers and no passes better? A Melo type game?
Lebron does it all. How does a fan of basketball putting everything aside not like his game?

Old 07-03-2013, 08:12 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
The Decision was a PR mistake but great of the kids he helped.
He said some stupid things when we was young and the first year with the Heat.

Losing to the Mavs was the best thing that happened to Lebron for his career. He has admitted this.

People saying he is arrogant don't know the guy at all. He is a supreme unselfish player. He is all team first. Yes he knows he is the best player on this planet but he also knows he only goes as far as the team. The past two years you can see how he has really matured into a great leader on and off the court. And to think he has never done anything off the court that has caused any problems at all. He is a good father and is marrying his girlfriend from high school. He is family and team first type of guy. He takes less money to try to win and everyone hates him. IMO part of this is where he went. I think if he went to Chicago or NY people would like him more.

And for those saying he isn't that great, does not have the killer instinct or the clutch gene. I think game 6 and 7 of the Finals this year answered those critics. Lebron is just getting started.

"Not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4.... It is not so funny anymore"

Can't believe it took this long for someone to say this! It was a bad PR move but Lebron was immature then and thought why not HELP KIDS! Lebron can't do anything right in the minds of some people.

He is a better passer and defender than both. Kobe and Jordan got their jump shot better than Lebron but even Lebron is getting much better at that.

Yes because leaving an organization which failed to put a good team around him is screwing them. He was a free agent. Do you understand what being a free agent means?

If you don't like his great all around game what type of game do you like? Are you a fan of basketball? Maybe you like Kobe jumpers and no passes better? A Melo type game?
Lebron does it all. How does a fan of basketball putting everything aside not like his game?
I think a lot of the hate for Lebron stems from his idiotic, front running, loudmouthed fans. Also the fact that he went to Miami. I really burns me up that a fairweather franchise with no real history of sound team building has tied Detroit and is one away from the Spurs in championships, two franchises with way better historical basketball acumen, with a cheap move like that.

To be fair, Ray Allen and Pop's idiocy bailed game 6 out for him. He already had that dejected look on his face.

He is definitely a better passer than Kobe, but not Jordan, and definitely not Bird.

He's a very good player, the greatest player in the world today. But I still feel like he benefits a lot from a watered down league. He has no truly great rivals in their prime to go against. Magic and Bird had each other. Duncan and Kobe and Shaq had each other. Jordan had a long list of guys whose dreams he crushed.

The Spurs played him well, but let's be honest, Spurs are long in the tooth and it showed in game 7 after they blew their shot. So I think a lot of the reason Lebron's game is still questioned by many is because he's the only bully on the playground right now. Duncan is old. Kobe is old. Garnett and Dirk re old. Shaq is retired and old. The only young team with the potential to challenge the Heat right now is OKC, and they have no heart (which I hate to say. Because I love Durant).

Magic, Bird, Jordan, Duncan, Kobe, and Shaq all beat top 10 GOATS in their prime at one point to get their championship. What all-time great player has Lebron beaten?

Old 07-03-2013, 09:22 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,796 times
Quote:

He's a very good player, the greatest player in the world today. But I still feel like he benefits a lot from a watered down league. He has no truly great rivals in their prime to go against.
You could just as easily be talking about Michael Jordan.

1988 the Heat and Hornets are added to the league. 1989 the Magic and T-Wolves are added. That's four expansion teams added right before Jordan starts winning titles. And this doesn't just mean 4 more weak teams to beat up on in the regular season, 46 players were taken from the other 23 teams in these expansion drafts, an average of 2 players per team.

1995 the Raptors and Grizzlies are added, right before the 2nd 3-peat, and there's another expansion draft.

The Pistons, Lakers, and Celtics were all in decline by the time Jordan beat them.

6 expansion teams added in 7 years and no other great teams. If that's not considered watered down I don't know what is.

Quote:
Magic and Bird had each other. Duncan and Kobe and Shaq had each other. Jordan had a long list of guys whose dreams he crushed.
Jordan had a long list of good, but nowhere near great, teams that he beat. None of the no. 1s on the other teams had a second fiddle as good as Pippen.

Quote:
Magic, Bird, Jordan, Duncan, Kobe, and Shaq all beat top 10 GOATS in their prime at one point to get their championship. What all-time great player has Lebron beaten?
Which top 10 players did Jordan beat in their prime? Magic was past his prime, Shaq hadn't yet entered his. If you're going to count those, you should count old Duncan and young Durant too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball