Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 08:46 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times

Advertisements

Dennis Rodman says LeBron James would have been “average” in the ’90s

“If LeBron was playing in the late ’80s or early ’90s,” Rodman said, “he’d be just an average player.”
Rodman went on to tell The Dan Patrick Show in an interview that aired Friday that LeBron is “a great player, a helluva player,” but the Hall of Fame rebounding ace said Jordan dominated a much tougher era in leading the Bulls to six titles in the 1990s.
If Michael played today … really? If he played the game today at 28 years old, he would average 40 points a game, probably more,” said Rodman, who won three titles as Jordan’s teammate with Chicago.
Rodman added: “I’m just sick and tired of people always comparing him and Michael Jordan. It’s a whole different era, man.”

Y! SPORTS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 08:52 PM

551 posts, read 1,122,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Dennis Rodman says LeBron James would have been “average” in the ’90s

“If LeBron was playing in the late ’80s or early ’90s,” Rodman said, “he’d be just an average player.”
Rodman went on to tell The Dan Patrick Show in an interview that aired Friday that LeBron is “a great player, a helluva player,” but the Hall of Fame rebounding ace said Jordan dominated a much tougher era in leading the Bulls to six titles in the 1990s.
If Michael played today … really? If he played the game today at 28 years old, he would average 40 points a game, probably more,” said Rodman, who won three titles as Jordan’s teammate with Chicago.
Rodman added: “I’m just sick and tired of people always comparing him and Michael Jordan. It’s a whole different era, man.”

Y! SPORTS
I think you're proving my point lol

Old 06-07-2013, 08:54 PM

207 posts, read 336,419 times
Default Today's generation is WEAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
The sad thing is that I enjoyed watching the guy play in Cleveland but that seems like it was a different person. It wasn't the fact that he left, it was the way he did it and who he went to. It was a totally classless way of leaving. If he would've told Cleveland that he was testing free agency, people would've respected him for that. But to have a TV show about it? Doesn't matter that the money went to charity or whatever.

I'm so tired of these young kids thinking he's better than MJ. I'm 34 and grew up in Chicago when the Bulls were not only winning, they were winning big. If leflop had played back in the 90's, he wouldn't even average 20 PPG because he is just soft. Unfortunately, it's typical of this era, the kids growing up these days are like that. I shoot around at the local high school and the kids there look up to guys like leflop, whine and cry every time someone breathes on them hard. Back in my day, you'd better almost be bleeding to get a foul. The attitude of entitlement spreads to the kids these days: if you don't get your way, whine and cry until you do. Instead of working hard and build a team around you like a leader does, go somewhere else with people of the same poor attitude.

leflop is a guy who manages to succeed in a watered down league, it's as simple as that. Put him back in the 80's or 90's against some real defenses and he'd been run out of the league long ago. Him staring people down like a street thug and flexing is the attitude kids these days pick up on. Those kids aren't going to be playing pro sports and they're going to learn the real world is a cruel and harsh place that doesn't give in to cry babies and thuggery.

The Heat are an assembled team and I'm sure the NBA has a lot of financial interested vested in them winning.

IMO, basketball in general is a shameful sport. Nothing but a bunch of tattoo'd thugs running around. What's the point of a uniform if guys are wearing headbands, long sleeves, long pants or whatever they want? What's with staring people down? How is it an accomplishment for a 6'8" guy to dunk on a 6'2" guy? Not too many of the classy players are left and that's why I'm rooting for the Spurs. They're a classy team from a classy city.
U nailed it man...I totally agree w the kids being soft as tissue paper these days. I'm 31 years old, grew up playing bball in south Sacramento, and it was great, but if u didn't bring your "A" game u would get embarrassed and ran off the court, and no one would ever pick u up on their team. One or two games that showed u weren't a really good player that was also tough, and could play defense, and you'd have to find a new court to play at.

I had a child and took a number of years off from playing at all. I got back into shape, and found the newest playground to get into pick-up games. I was completely shocked at what happened next. Guys would miss a shot and stop playing while they yelled foul with crappy attitudes. People would start talking crap at the beginning of the game, and then u found out they had absolutely no game, but played dirty. Nothing but big time talkers w no game. I'll never forget we were killin these guys and they took a shot so I find my man, and box out, and I thought the guy was gunna swing at me he was so pissed. He started calling me a dirty player, he said I was trying to injure him, and I was just looking at him in total disbelief. Today's generation is nothing but a bunch of twitter gangsters, soft as tissue paper crybabies talkin crap the whole game while their man goes off for a hundred points.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:19 AM

551 posts, read 1,122,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell82 View Post
U nailed it man...I totally agree w the kids being soft as tissue paper these days. I'm 31 years old, grew up playing bball in south Sacramento, and it was great, but if u didn't bring your "A" game u would get embarrassed and ran off the court, and no one would ever pick u up on their team. One or two games that showed u weren't a really good player that was also tough, and could play defense, and you'd have to find a new court to play at.

I had a child and took a number of years off from playing at all. I got back into shape, and found the newest playground to get into pick-up games. I was completely shocked at what happened next. Guys would miss a shot and stop playing while they yelled foul with crappy attitudes. People would start talking crap at the beginning of the game, and then u found out they had absolutely no game, but played dirty. Nothing but big time talkers w no game. I'll never forget we were killin these guys and they took a shot so I find my man, and box out, and I thought the guy was gunna swing at me he was so pissed. He started calling me a dirty player, he said I was trying to injure him, and I was just looking at him in total disbelief. Today's generation is nothing but a bunch of twitter gangsters, soft as tissue paper crybabies talkin crap the whole game while their man goes off for a hundred points.
Oh you were definitely playing with some dude from the hood that is a sucker. And FYI last month or 2 this grown ass man was on my team (4 vs 4) shorter than me im 6'1" he's garbage but still ball-hogging. Missed more than he made, complained to the team when HIS own man scored on him, terrible basketball IQ, called me "scared" on defense when I was playing pretty good and he just scored on me, couldn't anybody tell him nothing. I put in a word or two but I just play ball man, screw all the arguing. Im pretty sure "back then" his ass would be ran off the court. Im one of the classiest 16 year old you'd see so stop generalizing people.

However its some dudes in my school I play games wit, they call when great defense is on them more often. Its this one guy who's actually on the basketball team (which ill be joining next year) and its hard to like him . I blocked the crap out of his shot and said "F outta here!" and all he had to say was "you fouled me anyway"... it was all ball homies and he said that because this girl was like "OHHHHHH!" lol . He's the only dude I have confrontations with while we play and I swear he better not ball hog come time of the season. Im trying to drop a good 15ppg at least, we have some talented guys.

When I get blocked, I laugh it off and I comeback better next time. I challenge the person who did it. If I fail the next play I chill out and get back to team ball. Just yesterday I jayed this tall ass dude twice from 3 point land and when I decided to drive he block my shot in the paint. I remember when I was sticking great defense on him I cause him to miss a layup (I think i tipped it, im not sure" and he gave me a five. I respect people like that, competitive yet respectful. He had a good game as well.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:15 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,083,948 times
These were the days. Not only would they have called it flagrant fouls at the end but the NYPD would've probably filed charges for what Scottie Pippen did to Charles Smith:

Bulls @ Knicks 1993 ECF Game 5: Michael Jordan 29/10/14. - YouTube

Old 06-08-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonMartinNY View Post
Oh you were definitely playing with some dude from the hood that is a sucker. And FYI last month or 2 this grown ass man was on my team (4 vs 4) shorter than me im 6'1" he's garbage but still ball-hogging. Missed more than he made, complained to the team when HIS own man scored on him, terrible basketball IQ, called me "scared" on defense when I was playing pretty good and he just scored on me, couldn't anybody tell him nothing. I put in a word or two but I just play ball man, screw all the arguing. Im pretty sure "back then" his ass would be ran off the court. Im one of the classiest 16 year old you'd see so stop generalizing people.

However its some dudes in my school I play games wit, they call when great defense is on them more often. Its this one guy who's actually on the basketball team (which ill be joining next year) and its hard to like him . I blocked the crap out of his shot and said "F outta here!" and all he had to say was "you fouled me anyway"... it was all ball homies and he said that because this girl was like "OHHHHHH!" lol . He's the only dude I have confrontations with while we play and I swear he better not ball hog come time of the season. Im trying to drop a good 15ppg at least, we have some talented guys.

When I get blocked, I laugh it off and I comeback better next time. I challenge the person who did it. If I fail the next play I chill out and get back to team ball. Just yesterday I jayed this tall ass dude twice from 3 point land and when I decided to drive he block my shot in the paint. I remember when I was sticking great defense on him I cause him to miss a layup (I think i tipped it, im not sure" and he gave me a five. I respect people like that, competitive yet respectful. He had a good game as well.
You're right not all youngsters are like that, could have just been the court I was playing at, but at the time I assumed it had to be the next generation. There's some serious ballers in my neighborhood (those games weren't in my neighborhood, they were in another city) and I have respect for them. I can tell just from a few of your posts that u would have fit in just fine 15 years ago.

Don't u just love it when someone like that tells u you're "scared" lol, keep ballin bro!!!

Old 06-08-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
These were the days. Not only would they have called it flagrant fouls at the end but the NYPD would've probably filed charges for what Scottie Pippen did to Charles Smith:

Bulls @ Knicks 1993 ECF Game 5: Michael Jordan 29/10/14. - YouTube
Man those were the days...Bulls, Knicks, Heat, Pacers, Magic battling it out in the East. Suns, Rockets, Sonics, Jazz, Spurs battling in the West. For people that never got to witness some of those Knicks teams playing the Bulls, Heat and Pacers, those teams were out for blood!! Those teams were trying to prove to the other guys that they were tougher than them. It was just a different mentality. If any of those guys started flopping, it would have been a pretty big deal. The other players would always bring that up, and they would hate whoever flopped.

I will say that I believe flopping all started when people couldn't guard Shaq. He pushed the envelope by pretty much mowing people over with his huge frame, and no one could stop him. I think we can all thank Vlade Divac for inventing the flop, but to me that was smart. He did it 1. Not to look stupid when Shaq dunked on his head. 2. To show the refs Shaq was just too massive to guard, and something needed to be done whether it's change the rules, or start calling more offensive fouls, which Shaq rarely got called for. 3. To hopefully get a call against him. People started to take notice, and they started flopping left and right. It just escalated and got blown out of proportion.

The thing about flopping though is that it's not a natural part of the game. No one instinctively gets touched and automatically flops. It's something u have to think about...u have to make a conscious decision that "I'm gonna start flopping from now on." Flopping is just a way of giving up on a play. "Hey I have no chance here so I'm just gonna flop and see what happens." Just like when Divac had no chance against Shaq. If u are confident, tough, and truly feel like you're the best player in the NBA then u should go your whole career without flopping, not even once. Imagine you're in the paint on defense and someone tries to post up on u, and u go flying through the air sliding across the paint, giving Jack Nicholson a run for the Oscar for best male actor...what does that tell u about Lebron??

Old 06-08-2013, 12:12 PM

462 posts, read 427,672 times
~Kanye shrug~

Old 06-08-2013, 03:03 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,083,948 times
I don't think anyone has to flop if Shaq hits you.

Dennis Rodman seemed to do a decent job but then again, Rodman just mentally bothered Shaq.

Speaking of mental, the mental toughness of the players back then would just destroy the weak minded players today. Look at how MJ battled and paid his dues for years against the Celtics and Pistons. And after being eliminated by the Magic in '95, he didn't whine or cry. He was probably in the gym the next day getting ready for next season. You know why he cried after that first title? Because he had come full circle, he knew how much work he had put in to get to that point, he didn't jump ship with a couple other guys to win it.

If anyone wants to compare, let's compare after leflop:

-dominates the last minute of game 6 of the Finals on the road with a layup (the defenders had contact with the ball), defensive stop and series winning shop in the span of less than 1 minute. And not to mention Scottie Pippen was out most of the game with a back injury.
-scores 38 points with the flu on a road game with the series tied 2-2.
-live for the biggest moments in the game.

They're not all like this but when kids think leflop is the GOAT, it just shows their youthful ignorance. As great at Kobe is, he can't even compare because in the 2 Finals he has lost, it looked like he let his team quit. MJ would never quit himself and would never let his team quit. You either played up to your full ability or you would be shamed.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:48 PM

462 posts, read 427,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell82 View Post

I will say that I believe flopping all started when people couldn't guard Shaq.

The thing about flopping though is that it's not a natural part of the game.
Quote:
By 1942, some West Coast colleges decided to experiment with moving the referees off the floor and into a crow's nest behind the basket. The thinking was that if referees were farther from the court, they would be less susceptible to deceptive techniques. “I found from the start I couldn’t get away with some of the tricks I used to use, so I quit trying,” said one Bob Mulder, of Southern Oregon.
Unsurprisingly, this didn’t catch on, but it’s indicative of how early on people around the game have been trying, and failing, to curtail flopping.

Some of the most revered players in NBA history were floppers. The rest were their teammates. Jerry Sloan was such a notorious flopper that an unnamed coach threatened to fine his players if they didn’t step on him when he fell down. The notion that this problem is somehow worse now than it was in the ’50s, when there were only eight teams, or the ’60s, when there were 14, is ludicrous. The problem isn’t worse; our ability to see it in high-def, slow-motion replay is better.

Flopping is to basketball as farting is to being alive; it's annoying, ridiculous, and sometimes embarrassing reality, but a reality nonetheless. If something has been part of the game since the dribble, it’s probably more apt to refer to it as a tradition rather than a scourge.

From 1954 to 1964, shooting guard Frank Ramsey played an integral role in seven Celtics championship teams, averaging 13.4 points and 5.5 rebounds in 24 minutes a game. He played with Russell, Cousy, Heinsohn, KC … all the greats. His coach was Auerbach. He also, quite literally, wrote the book on flopping. In the December 9, 1963, issue of Sports Illustrated, Ramsey, with Frank Deford, penned an article titled "Smart Moves By A Master Of Deception." All the dark sorcery is in there, described in professorial detail, complete with “Teach Yourself Karate”–style illustrations.
Flopping in the NBA: A History of (Non)violence - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball