Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 06:54 PM

462 posts, read 427,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
AstonMartinNY
Quote:
1. The fake fan-base and support, suddenly everyone likes them from the schoolyard up and swear that they have no weaknesses.
Typical fandom.

Quote:
The league has become watered down, all you hear about is Miami.
Because they're the defending world champions, and have the best athlete in the four major pro sports on its team.

Quote:
3. Lebron is still not dominant when he needs to be. He hasn't proved to me that he deserved any of those mvp's with miami. He did it himself on the Cavs with a 66-16 following a 61-21 record, thats fine. Game 1 of the 2013 finals, Tony Parker looked like an mvp and he had no triple nor a double double. He is the number 1 option on his team and he came through WHEN IT MATTERED.
Huh?

Quote:
4. The media is trying to make him the next MJ of this era. He will NEVER be on that level because he has bounced back in so many defining moments. Its too late, he went out his way to join 2 stars just to win. He was winning in Cleveland. Same result of losing championship series in Miami (last year was a mirage of terrible calls and the flopping was at an all-time high, in other words it was given to them. Lets all be honest, this year they are here legit)
Huh?
Quote:
5. 3 MVP's on a team like that is ridiculous. Its guys on other teams that actually score for their teams when needed to and do it consistently to win, guess what? they also have way less productive support. KD's mvp is long overdue (the 24 year old killer on the court), Kobe was really busting his ass this year (for a 34 year old still having to put up 27ppg with that lineup),and Melo did his thing too (In order of worthiness). Shoot, even James Harden had great numbers. Im not saying LJ doesn't deserve mvp, im just saying Cleveland was the most rational place for him to get that honor twice.
Didn't you JUST say that LeBron has hasn't done anything in your eyes to justify him winning those MVPs in Miami?

Quote:
6. Lebron and the whole damn team flops. That is not respectable basketball. I play ball and I wouldn't ever have the nerves to pretend that somebody made me fall. That is not manly at all and that is poor playing of the game. When did MJ , Kobe, or Magic for that matter flop? (the guys they compare him to). Even MJ mentioned that he would take KD and the question was "Lebron or Kobe?" in an interview.
I think you should read this:

Flopping in the NBA: A History of (Non)violence - The Triangle Blog - Grantland

Quote:
7. This man gets alot of the calls. Lebron was allover Tony Parker last night on that clutch play, rolled on the floor and everything. NO CALL. if it was him I strongly believe that he would have gotten a call. When Lebron has great defense on him he pleads for a foul, its ridiculous.
What star players in the history of the league haven't gotten favorable officiating? Unless you believe Jordan didn't push Byron Russell halfway to Oregon on the GW shot in Game 6 of the 1998 NBA Finals.

Quote:
8. The decision- He was arrogant enough to have a special on his free agency choice. The hate from Cleveland fans would have been less had he just been like everyone else. You have to finish what you start and he was not in a bad place. I sure it was other factors that made him change teams such as the weather, i mean it is Miami.

How are you the best at this competitive sport with a mentality like this?
The greats are judged by championships. He put himself in a position to win championships.
Quote:
Lastly. I have no hate for Lebron at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 06:58 PM

551 posts, read 1,122,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild100s View Post
Typical fandom.

Because they're the defending world champions, and have the best athlete in the four major pro sports on its team.

Huh?

Huh?
Didn't you JUST say that LeBron has hasn't done anything in your eyes to justify him winning those MVPs in Miami?

I think you should read this:

Flopping in the NBA: A History of (Non)violence - The Triangle Blog - Grantland

What star players in the history of the league haven't gotten favorable officiating? Unless you believe Jordan didn't push Byron Russell halfway to Oregon on the GW shot in Game 6 of the 1998 NBA Finals.

The greats are judged by championships. He put himself in a position to win championships.
No comment... I'll leave you to think. Its no reason for me to say anything. All I think lies within my post, get it or be lost. Its in english i believe and you sir seem lost.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:16 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5, not 6, not 7....oh OK maybe 1

I believe he was joking when he said that on stage because it was a happy moment for him and the franchise. I didn't think anyone took his prediction seriously since Wade would probably not even be in the league anymore when Lebron is 32 or 33.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonMartinNY View Post
No comment... I'll leave you to think. Its no reason for me to say anything. All I think lies within my post, get it or be lost. Its in english i believe and you sir seem lost.
Lost? Ha!

There was a lot of animosity displayed in your first post.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Lost? Ha!

There was a lot of animosity displayed in your first post.
You are lost because you made a suggestion saying something like "didnt you just say lebron didn't deserve mvps in miami?" which means that you're implying that i contradicted something i said before.

Read and comprehend because i made my point clear. I said lebron should have only won mvp in cleveland because he was the main reason his team had 2 great seasons.... without him, they would be trash. Since you didnt get that, i have the right to disregard anything else you said. You are just blindly defending him.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:50 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
I always had the sense that the era around 1985-1995 was hypercompetitive in basketball. I wonder if it might have been a demographic thing. That was the tail end of the baby boomers, so during that era roughly one quarter of the populace was in the prime athletic age group. In 1983 the baby boomers age range was 19-37/

You can see it clearly in marathon running, of which I am also a fan. But in marathon running the comparisons are strictly objective. It's no problem to compare a runner from 1990 to a runner from 2013; you just look at who had the better time. In the 1983 Boston Marathon, 76 American runners broke 2:20. In 2013, there were 6.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonMartinNY View Post
You are lost because you made a suggestion saying something like "didnt you just say lebron didn't deserve mvps in miami?" which means that you're implying that i contradicted something i said before.

Read and comprehend because i made my point clear. I said lebron should have only won mvp in cleveland because he was the main reason his team had 2 great seasons.... without him, they would be trash. Since you didnt get that, i have the right to disregard anything else you said. You are just blindly defending him.

All this just seems so petty.

You're lamenting about things that were said about a lot of star players in the modern era.

Go read the story written by former Sun-Times scribe Terry Boers about Jordan's first training camp as a rookie.

NBA.com: Michael Jordan Career Retrospective

Jordan's teammates, before he actually played a regular season game, where calling him "Superman."

Orlando Woolridge said of Jordan his rookie year: "Michael is already a corporation."

From Boers:

"Day 27: The subject is the first impressions. Some opposing players have mentioned Jordan acts as if no one is supposed to touch him."

Even after that season many NBA players thought Jordan was a hotshot who hadn't accomplished anything to deserve such admiration from the press. They were taken aback by the way he dressed, the gold chains he fashioned during the All-Star Game Slam Dunk contest and his perceived arrogant attitude.

Let's not mention how they're countless accounts about how Jordan treated his teammates during practices, in games and was perceived as a ball hog. He tried to get Horace Grant traded.

If you don't like LeBron for the way he carries himself, or the things he's said or done, then you'd have to not like a BUNCH of past NBA players, too.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:
All this just seems so petty.

You're lamenting about things that were said about a lot of star players in the modern era.

Go read the story written by former Sun-Times scribe Terry Boers about Jordan's first training camp as a rookie.

NBA.com: Michael Jordan Career Retrospective

Jordan's teammates, before he actually played a regular season game, where calling him "Superman."

Orlando Woolridge said of Jordan his rookie year: "Michael is already a corporation."

From Boers:

"Day 27: The subject is the first impressions. Some opposing players have mentioned Jordan acts as if no one is supposed to touch him."

Even after that season many NBA players thought Jordan was a hotshot who hadn't accomplished anything to deserve such admiration from the press. They were taken aback by the way he dressed, the gold chains he fashioned during the All-Star Game Slam Dunk contest and his perceived arrogant attitude.

Let's not mention how they're countless accounts about how Jordan treated his teammates during practices, in games and was perceived as a ball hog. He tried to get Horace Grant traded.

If you don't like LeBron for the way he carries himself, or the things he's said or done, then you'd have to not like a BUNCH of past NBA players, too.
....... lol yo wtf did i just tell you in the conclusion? You keep saying "i dont like him". I was implying that I dont like the media. Ok Jordan had a crap personality with teammates but did he not make up for that with how he plays? He was a true winner.

The point is that people would respect lebron more if he just dominated the game, he has the potential to just kill out there. No one is asking him to be a point guard, he has no reason to be acting like one. Just score the damn ball when accounted on. He still doesn't get that, you cant possibly be the best in sports if you not winning when ***** comes down to you. He seems to come up short no matter where he goes. All he wants is guys to cover up for him when the game's on the line... Wade, Bosh, Allen, Charlmers, Mike Miller, or Battier..... Yet he has the ability to do it himself and barely ever does.

Jordan "Ballhog" Kobe "ball hog" Jordan 6 rings... Kobe 5 rings. Lebron "passive as hell" 1 ring with the help of the refs and flopping. Its just not respectable. This year seems to be better with the calls so if they win , ill count it as their first. Sounds ridiculous but thats how I feel.

Last edited by AstonMartinNY; 06-09-2013 at 06:27 AM..

Old 06-09-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
AstonMartinNY
Quote:
lol yo wtf did i just tell you in the conclusion? You keep saying "i dont like him". I was implying that I dont like the media.
Well, start a thread about the press then.

Quote:
Ok Jordan had a crap personality with teammates but did he not make up for that with how he plays? He was a true winner.
He ONLY won when he began to trust his teammates and they developed into solid contributors on those championship teams. Otherwise, he would have been Carmelo Anthony.

Quote:
The point is that people would respect lebron more if he just dominated the game,
He's won four of the last five MVPs, and probably should have won five in a row if voters hadn't held signing with Miami against him.

Quote:
No one is asking him to be a point guard, he has no reason to be acting like one.
Coach Spo is. And he has to defend Tony Parker, David West, Paul George, Paul Pierce, Derrick Rose and grab 18 rebounds in a Finals game.

Quote:
Just score the damn ball when accounted on. He still doesn't get that, you cant possibly be the best in sports if you not winning when ***** comes down to you. He seems to come up short no matter where he goes. All he wants is guys to cover up for him when the game's on the line... Wade, Bosh, Allen, Charlmers, Mike Miller, or Battier..... Yet he has the ability to do it himself and barely ever does.
Nobody can do it by themselves contrary to popular belief.

He averaged 38, 8 and 8 against the Magic in the ECF in 2009 and the Cavs lost the series.

In the 2011 and 2012 playoffs against Chicago and Boston and Indiana for example, he stepped up when he was needed the most to win games at the end or close out those series. Unless all of a sudden you just can't remember things that happened not too long ago.

When he tried to takeover in the Pacers series, LeBron's teammates bitched. When he tries to do a little bit of everything, the press and the public says he isn't doing enough. It's a catch-22.

Quote:
Jordan "Ballhog" Kobe "ball hog" Jordan 6 rings... Kobe 5 rings. Lebron "passive as hell" 1 ring with the help of the refs and flopping. Its just not respectable. This year seems to be better with the calls so if they win , ill count it as their first. Sounds ridiculous but thats how I feel.
Yep, it's ridiculous.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:50 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
The main point is that people hate Lebron because he is a winner and damm good at what he does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball