Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 06:14 PM

78,464 posts, read 60,666,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Dwight's work ethic, toughness, and maturity are definitely suspect. But these are the real reasons why Dwight didn't re-sign.
The Lakers are staring at a massive rebuild and who knows how soon and to want extent Kobe will ever return etc.

I think that's the bottom line.

Dwight is a really convenient excuse for a Laker team that has had Kobe go back to chucker-ball while the rest of the squad stands around and ages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 06:16 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,031,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
The real truth Dwight left LA is because Dwight was intimidated by Kobe Bryant's work ethic, mental toughness and ability to play with pain. Dwight is a very good basketball player because of his God given physical tools, not because he is a gym rat who works hard at his craft.

With Kobe around, Dwight knew Kobe would be watching him and expecting him to work just as hard as Kobe works and Dwight wanted nothing to do with having Kobe evaluate his work ethic everytime he walked on the court. Dwight will never have the mental toughness nor the work ethic Kobe has, so there was no way he was going to stay in LA and play along side Kobe Bryant. Dwight will never be a champion!! I predict the Lakers will win another championship before Dwight ever does, if he ever does.

PAUL BROGAN - NBA RAP (Original) - YouTube

Old 07-16-2013, 08:10 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,618,162 times
OK what I wrote was just a few of many reasons. But I do stand by what I said, he was intimidated by Kobe Bryant's work ethic and mental toughness, and he knew he wouldn't measure up in any comparisons to Kobe's work ethic, so he bailed.

I am a Laker fan and I actually look forward to the rebuilding process.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:03 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,145,152 times
Quote:
OK what I wrote was just a few of many reasons. But I do stand by what I said, he was intimidated by Kobe Bryant's work ethic and mental toughness, and he knew he wouldn't measure up in any comparisons to Kobe's work ethic, so he bailed.

I am a Laker fan and I actually look forward to the rebuilding process.
Nah, Kobe's an as-shole. I'm a Lakers fan too, and I can understand why Dwight wouldn't want to play with (and I say that loosely) Kobe.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:29 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,545,932 times
Check out First Take with SAS, Bayless, and some guy named Nelly. This guy was saying that no top players/free agents in their prime want to play with Kobe anymore...i have to agree...pretty funny arguments all over..surprisingly, Skip was kinda quiet...lol...they talked about Howard not wanting to play with Kobe too..

WARNING: IF YOU'RE A KOBE FAN...THE VIDEO COULD BE DISTURBING!!

Hot Lakers Debate: Nelly vs. Stephen A. - YouTube

Old 07-17-2013, 10:20 AM

Kobe may be a A-hole, but he puts in the work like no other. And Dwight just doesn't want to work as hard as Kobe, and he surely didn't want to get called on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Nah, Kobe's an as-shole. I'm a Lakers fan too, and I can understand why Dwight wouldn't want to play with (and I say that loosely) Kobe.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:35 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,145,152 times
Quote:
Kobe may be a A-hole, but he puts in the work like no other. And Dwight just doesn't want to work as hard as Kobe, and he surely didn't want to get called on it.
Nah, not everyone likes to play with a-holes, especially when the Lakers are far from being able to compete for a championship.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:42 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,098,720 times
Quote:
Nah, not everyone likes to play with a-holes, especially when the Lakers are far from being able to compete for a championship.
not many people like to play with those types even when they ARE competing for a title. they just put up with it as much as they can. how many guys has kobe run or nearly run out of town?

Old 07-17-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I actually think the Lakers will be better record wise then they were last year with Dwight. I know they wont compete for a championship, but they will have more wins. It all comes down to if they stay healthy which I know is a big if.

I think with Dwight leaving is a perfect case of addition by subtraction. I will never forget him being ejected last year in the last playoff game. Dwight may not be a loser as he recently said of himself, but he does not have what it takes to be a CHAMPION.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:04 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,397,757 times
Quote:
The real truth Dwight left LA is because Dwight was intimidated by Kobe Bryant's work ethic, mental toughness and ability to play with pain. Dwight is a very good basketball player because of his God given physical tools, not because he is a gym rat who works hard at his craft.

With Kobe around, Dwight knew Kobe would be watching him and expecting him to work just as hard as Kobe works and Dwight wanted nothing to do with having Kobe evaluate his work ethic everytime he walked on the court. Dwight will never have the mental toughness nor the work ethic Kobe has, so there was no way he was going to stay in LA and play along side Kobe Bryant. Dwight will never be a champion!! I predict the Lakers will win another championship before Dwight ever does, if he ever does.
Interesting perspective.

I think it was difficult for Howard to play his best because of the back surgery he was recovering from. This really limited his effectiveness. Expectations were too high for him when he went to LA, and he was doomed before he got started. In LA, he was expected to make an impact and instantly elevate that team to championship caliber. Anything less would be a disappointment, and it was less.

I think on a more fundamental level, Howard is just not that good. He's not versatile enough as a player to thrive and dominate no matter what system he's playing on. He's athletic, sure. He's strong. He can jump when healthy. He can block shots, rebound. He smiles a lot, loves to have fun and be jovial. He seems to genuinely enjoy the game and his role in it. I just don't think he's talented enough to take a team to the title. The Lakers had a host of problems last year. I respect Kobe's game, work ethic, and drive. I don't think Howard liked Kobe because of previous encounters they've had while playing when Howard was with Orlando. I think Howard just wanted out of Orlando and LA was a good place to layover temporarily while his back healed. He had no desire to stay in LA long-term to help that team make a run at the title. Steve Nash could sense this.

Time will tell though what Dwight is capable of. I hope he finds a way to elevate and expand his game. He needs to learn how to shoot. He has no outside shot, not even from short-range. He's a lousy free throw shooter. Not a good passer. We've never seen him do a no-look pass. He has a very limited number of offensive moves while in the paint. He's foul-prone and can be fooled by clever defensive rotations. His game lacks creativity and he's quite predictable. So on and so forth.

I'm looking forward to watching what he can do while at Houston. I'm also looking forward to seeing what the Lakers can do without Howard and Artest. It will be an interesting season next year.

Last edited by LexusNexus; 07-17-2013 at 03:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball