Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 07:24 PM

78,477 posts, read 60,679,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Oh I agree, Morey is holding on to him trying to push his value up, I think that backfires.
His value is high as a starter, if he backs up Howard and is unhappy you can pencil him in for a drop off.

As for hack-a not working, oh it works, pop has proven that. If it didn't work it wouldn't be done.
1. I doubt his value drops since he just showed what he can do in a full season as a starter.

2. If hack-a worked supremely, they'd start out doing it instead of just at the ends of games. It has it's place as a strategic tool, it's just made a much bigger deal than it really is IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 07:41 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,547,338 times
OKC tried that hackasik and he went 13-18 FT in game 2....there is a reason why Asik went from 45% to 56% FT shooting after joining Rockets....good coaching staff.....also,if you hack early, you face the possibility of hurting your team allowing the opponent early bonus FTs and multiple players in foul trouble early...i believe Howard will shoot around 60% FTs this coming season...that hack stuff works for a few games, but in the long run, it ain't gonna work against the Rockets with that front line of theirs...good luck scoring against that.

Rockets are certainly listening to offers for Asik, but they won't trade him until they get an offer they can't refuse...Morey isn't stupid. There is a reason why he revamped the team to get under the cap before Howard came on board.

With Camby on board, the Rockets will have Smith, Jones, and Motie be the 4s and Camby, Asik, and Howard as the 5s...

Old 07-30-2013, 02:05 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,736,843 times
The downside of hack-a-player is that the player often gets in a rhythm from going to the free throw line so much. A lot of these terrible free throw shooters can sit around in the gym and shoot 15 or 16 for 20 pretty easily. In a game situation with fatigue and rust it's completely different. Continually send them to the line and it's more like practice except that the pressure is still there.

Popovich is the master of it though. It's not just about whether or not they miss the free throws, it forces the opposing coach to make a decision on whether to leave the guy in the game or play small ball. When you watch Spurs games the Spurs are playing small ball and the other team is playing a regular lineup. Popovich starts the hack-a-player and often times within a minute or two the opposing coach jerks the C out of the game and goes with a smaller lineup, which is what the Spurs want since they usually play small ball better than the other team.

When Popovich does it I think it's more about forcing the other team into the trap of trying to match his small lineup than it is about limiting the other team's points per possession. If you use it against a younger guy who is new to the spotlight it can really mess up his confidence and take him out of the game mentally too. And that can apply to the guys passing him the ball too. You'll often see wing players stop passing the ball to guys like Dwight Howard late in the game because they're worried about hack-a-Dwight so it becomes 5 on 4 on defense.

I don't think all coaches use the technique effectively all the time but the way Popovich does it it can be really effective.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:11 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,100,025 times
Pop likes to use the hack-a to change momentum. If the opponent is on a big run, got momentum or is "on a roll", he will hack someone and slow the pace, change the momentum, and get a grip in things. Most coaches will burn a time out in that situation, pop will in essence gain time by stopping the clock.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Pop likes to use the hack-a to change momentum. If the opponent is on a big run, got momentum or is "on a roll", he will hack someone and slow the pace, change the momentum, and get a grip in things. Most coaches will burn a time out in that situation, pop will in essence gain time by stopping the clock.
Care to make some wagers about the rockets results this year?

Old 07-30-2013, 09:29 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,100,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Care to make some wagers about the rockets results this year?
I don't generally bet unless I'm at a poker/black jack table.

50 wins even, out in 2nd round.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
I don't generally bet unless I'm at a poker/black jack table.

50 wins even, out in 2nd round.
Thats a reasonable prediction. Lotsa wildcards like how Houston gels, how healthy San Antonio is etc etc etc.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:02 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,736,843 times
I initially didn't give Houston much of a chance to win the West, but now with the Thunder losing Kevin Martin, and the potential for injuries for the Spurs, I think they have a pretty decent chance to come out of the West.

Duncan's play last year might have been a bit of an aberration, or he could return to 2013 form. It may not be this year, but father time has been creeping up on him for awhile. Ginoboli is about done, but that's not a big concern with the way Leonard has played. Belinelli was a good pickup.

The Thunder have the 2nd best player in the league and another top 10 guy with Westbrook, along with one of the best defensive big men in the league in Ibaka. Nick Collison is a great backup big man, Sefolosha is a good 3-point shooter and defender, Fisher is a solid backup PG. But they really don't have much of a bench and they'll really miss Martin's shooting.

Rockets have a complete roster with 2 bigs that are a very strong defensively and on the boards (Howard and Asik), some quality wing players with Parsons, Garcia, Harden, Casspi (if he returns to Kings form). A couple solid point guards in Lin and Brooks. Some serviceable backup bigs with Greg Smith, Camby, and Motiejunas.

They have a nice roster. I think Harden is a little overrated and Dwight Howard is questionable mentally, but they have a lot of talent.

If all 3 teams are healthy I would rank them SA 1, OKC 2, and HOU 3. But I could easily envision a scenario where any of the 3 comes out of the West. I think Houston probably wins ~56 games. They have the talent to matchup with SA and OKC, but maybe not the mentality and execution in close games.

Memphis is the dark horse team, capable of beating any of these 3 teams though I don't think it's too likely to happen. Golden State will have an annoying small ball team but they probably won't beat any of these 4 teams.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:42 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,547,338 times
Doesn't surprise me at all..

Buss: 'Dwight Didn't Want To Play With Kobe For 2-3 More Years'

Buss Dwight Didnt Want To Play With Kobe For 2 3 More Years - RealGM Wiretap

Jim Buss admitted Dwight Howard let the Los Angeles Lakers know that he did not want to play with Kobe Bryant for multiple years, if the All-Star center elected to re-sign with them.
"Dwight didn't want to play with Kobe for 2-3 more years," Buss said. "I'm going to stand behind Kobe because of his history with the franchise."
Howard also reportedly was adamant he did not want to play for Mike D'Antoni.
Howard signed a four-year deal with the Houston Rockets in free agency.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Doesn't surprise me at all..

Buss: 'Dwight Didn't Want To Play With Kobe For 2-3 More Years'

Buss Dwight Didnt Want To Play With Kobe For 2 3 More Years - RealGM Wiretap

Jim Buss admitted Dwight Howard let the Los Angeles Lakers know that he did not want to play with Kobe Bryant for multiple years, if the All-Star center elected to re-sign with them.
"Dwight didn't want to play with Kobe for 2-3 more years," Buss said. "I'm going to stand behind Kobe because of his history with the franchise."
Howard also reportedly was adamant he did not want to play for Mike D'Antoni.
Howard signed a four-year deal with the Houston Rockets in free agency.
I think the REAL reason is that Dwight didn't want to be stuck in a rebuild....but Buss is spinning it as being about Kobe and how they backed Kobe. Might be both, but management doesn't like to use the R-word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball