Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 12:15 PM

589 posts, read 639,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I didn't mean "palming" as in having gigantic hands and grabbing the basketball with one hand. That's the type of "palming" Jordan did. By "palming," I meant borderline carrying the basketball.

Tim Hardaway: Allen Iverson & Kobe Bryant's Crossover are "CARRY" .... do you agree? - YouTube

You're seriously telling me Jordan didn't palm the ball? He started the whole palming thing back in the late 80s and early 90s. He was notorious for carrying and traveling. Jordan and Pippen got away with almost anything they wanted. Only ref who called anything on them consistently was Hugh Hollins and the Bulls hated him with a passion. See the 1994 series against the Knicks and the 1996 series against the Sonics. Hollins went after them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 04:04 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,006,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
He was one of the captains on the team, he shot wayyyy too much....and he was partying while there. So yeah, I put a lot of the blame on him.

Here was his 2007 playoff stats with Denver. He took over 20 shots every game and shot aroun 36% for the series....but that's somehow everybody elses fault.

Allen Iverson 2006-07 Game Log | Basketball-Reference.com

A lot of people love him because they identify with his style or like his grit and small stature, I totally get that.

However, when it comes down too it he had horrible FG% while shooting tons and was never considered much of a defender.

The guy is clearly a HOFer, I just don't think he's as highly rated as some of you because we seem to appreciate different things. He was definitely *flashy* and would explode on people for 40pts....but then turn around the next game and score 20pts on 7/25 shooting which people tend to get amnesia about.
Lets forget how many shots Carmelo Anthony took at game. Lets forget that he has yet to make an NBA Finals appearance. Of course you give Carmelo a pass.

Carmelo Anthony 2006-07 Game Log | Basketball-Reference.com

Old 09-03-2013, 04:11 PM

588 posts, read 796,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAM NYC View Post
Yall don't like to talk about the man but he is one of the top 5 all-around most influential players in NBA history.. from playing style to fashion aesthetic. He was the one to upgrade basketball out of the Jordan era. Little tough man. What I liked most abut him was that he appreciated the fans as much as we did him. The went out to win AND give the people their money's worth.
Iverson was a very good scorer, but let's not forget how he was also known for taking bad shots and not giving the ball up to teammates.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:21 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,229,847 times
Guy is a tremendous talent, but his own worse enemy ....... it's a shame that he could never quite get out of his own way in any aspect of life

Once that ball was tossed he was such a hard nosed player ..... they built that team in Philly to play into him as the offense - he would give up the ball, but that wasn't the design ... it ultimately led to a very good, but not great team .... a strong defensive team (Iverson was a very willing, but undersized defender frequently put into passing lanes) that relied on his bursts to compliment the more steady guys on the team

However, for all that effort he put into the actual game he frequently didn't "get it" when it came to practice, working with his teamates, etc. He felt he didn't need to put in those hours as long as he put in 100% during the game - problem was, his teamates needed to put in those hours with him so they could be more effective in the game as well.

He was great in the community, but completely aloof in dealing with the media

Now he's another drunk who is throwing away his fortune and family on the quick path to a very sad ending .... I hope he can finally start to put the whole thing together

I definitely enjoyed watching him play and he's probably one of the main guys that watching live provided a much better appreciation .... to see him take the ball and work it 3/4 of the court, cutting defenders and then finishing while getting slammed into the baseline chairs to pop up and still beat most guys to the half court line was exciting and impressive

Old 09-04-2013, 07:11 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Lets forget how many shots Carmelo Anthony took at game. Lets forget that he has yet to make an NBA Finals appearance. Of course you give Carmelo a pass.

Carmelo Anthony 2006-07 Game Log | Basketball-Reference.com
That's a sweet strawman seeing as how I'm not the one making statements about melo being a top 5 sf all-time or other wild claims about his awesomeness.

If you want to start a thread on Carmelos dismal shooting percentage I will be happy to comment.
(I've also dogged on Kobe <gasp> when he's shot too much at a bad % at times in his career....he just hasn't done it most of his career. )

I personally rate Iverson over melo but both are heading for the HOF eventually.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:26 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,426,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post

However, for all that effort he put into the actual game he frequently didn't "get it" when it came to practice, working with his teamates, etc. He felt he didn't need to put in those hours as long as he put in 100% during the game - problem was, his teamates needed to put in those hours with him so they could be more effective in the game as well.
"How in the hell can I make my teammates better by practicing?"

Old 09-04-2013, 08:58 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
It was shocking that after that run to the 2001 NBA Finals Iverson never got pass the 2nd round again with the Sixers. That was the highest point of his career after the 2001 season and then everything went downhill after that.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:58 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
It was shocking that after that run to the 2001 NBA Finals Iverson never got pass the 2nd round again with the Sixers. That was the highest point of his career after the 2001 season and then everything went downhill after that.
I think somewhere around there is when due to age and starting too have a few too many....he began to decline. I'm not condemning him, I honestly feel bad for his struggles (or anybodys). He was certainly not alone, a number of bigtime NBA players have struggled with various off-court problems.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:18 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think somewhere around there is when due to age and starting too have a few too many....he began to decline. I'm not condemning him, I honestly feel bad for his struggles (or anybodys). He was certainly not alone, a number of bigtime NBA players have struggled with various off-court problems.

Well definitely wasn't age because he was 26 at the start of the 2001-2002 NBA season which is 2 years younger than Lebron james is now heading into the 2013-14 NBA season.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:24 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
From a few days ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
He's from my hometown - top 5 is a bit ambitious.

Kareem, Wilt, MJ, Shaq, Russell, Erving, Magic, Bird, LBJ - easily ahead of Iverson.

Top 5 small guards - I can agree with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAM NYC View Post
Roam respects that post, but when I said influential, I meant leaving a lasting impression on aspects of the game/league. I would take LBJ of that list.

What Magic did was new.. Fast paced, exciting, flashy style of play.

Dr J... Supreme Athletics - the pre cursor to Jordan

Jordan.. relentless will to win that could be felt through the TV. Unbefore seen feats and moves that defied the imagination.

Yes they are influential.

On a whole, what LBJ does is nothing new. He just does it much better than the people who influenced him, which are other tall ballhandling/slashing types like Magic Johnson and moreso, Tracy Mcgrady. When we start to see more mobile, well rounded big men in the vein of Lebron and Kevin Durant then we can say that he's leaving some sort of influence.

Being dominating and well rounded alone may make you an influential player in-game. But I'm talking over the long-run.

In my original post I said top 5 most influential players OVERALL. His influence comes from players like Isaiah Thomas, but he upped the ante. Before him you had guards like Gary Payton and Stockton, after him you have Derrick Rose, CP3, Rondo, etc. I don't think Gary Payton, much less Stockton could play defense on ANY of them.. I don't even know if Jordan In his prime would be able to guard them with the skills they posses in this day and that's what I meant by "upgrading the game after Jordan". Certain players come in and cause a paradigm shift. What Iverson did that was new was being barely 6 feet and able to either shake a whole team or fly into a whole team of 5 giants and score consistently.. and sometimes in the process, even dunk on people 4-5 inches taller than Lebron James. That was new.

You have to remember too, your man was the first one to come tatted and cornrowed up. The one before him was Rodman in 96. He was tatted up but he looked like a reject punkstar with the green hair and nose ring. No one followed that lead. When Iverson did it, it became law. Iverson came with the streetwear, it became law. When he used medical supplies as in-game fashion, it became law.. and is still going on to this day (the arm sleeve that half the NBA wears). Yes your boy Iverson started that.

If you know your hip hop, the best way to put it is like this..

Jordan took the NBA from the Run DMC times to Rakim Era and Iverson upgraded it from the Rakim Era to the Illmatic Nas era. The game is the process of being upgraded once again though.
LBJ was last on my list - no problem there with Iverson being past him - even though today's generation may disagree.

You are looking at it from a more societal standpoint than an NBA standpoint. You could say that in the hip-hop community that Iverson had more of an influence than Larry Bird - but in the whole country, no way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball