Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2024, 04:59 AM

30,182 posts, read 11,821,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
I will continue with thanking Mark Cuban for his gift to the Knicks. Brunson should be an All-Star this year for the east.
It has to be up there as one of the worst management decisions ever. Not only is he only probably better overall player than Kyrie who Dallas had to trade away assets to get. He also plays just about every game, something Kyrie can't do. And he is a quality person not a head case who might demand a trade to get out of Dallas at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2024, 06:10 AM

3,985 posts, read 2,361,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
It has to be up there as one of the worst management decisions ever. Not only is he only probably better overall player than Kyrie who Dallas had to trade away assets to get. He also plays just about every game, something Kyrie can't do. And he is a quality person not a head case who might demand a trade to get out of Dallas at some point.
LOL! Yeah, every time Brunson takes the floor I just have a big grin on my face. I'll add that he's underpaid at 26 million per. He deserves more if not the super max so it works out for the Knicks management. However, it was apparent that they just didn't want to pay him when he was on the Mavs for some odd reason. Brunson was on the Mavs for 4 seasons and proven himself especially when Luka was out injured. At the time, Brunson would have taken less money so I didn't understand the trade but thanks, Mark Cuban! It is playing out now with Knicks management by trading Quickley and Barrett. Especially Quickley. You drafted Quickley and he improved every year. He was runner-up to sixth man of the year award last season. He was having a great season this year but you decide you didn't want to pay him what he deserves. In turn, you trade him before he becomes a restricted free agent. Still don't get it. We picked up two good assets in OG and Precious so that makes up for the loss. We'll see how the rest of the season shakes out.

Old 01-03-2024, 11:47 AM

207 posts, read 149,135 times
My son is a big Knicks fan, and Quickley is his favorite player. We had the opportunity to briefly meet him in Las Vegas last summer, and he could not have been nicer to my son. Talked to him for about 5 minutes while waiting for an Uber, took photos, signed his IQ jersey, the whole nine yards. He is very sad to see Quickley go (not so much RJ), but is hopeful that this will give IQ the opportunity to shine that he deserves, and that frankly Tibs was not going to give him. It feels like the Knicks could have gotten more for what they gave up, but hopefully there are bigger plans here to do more.

Old 01-03-2024, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtoCO1 View Post
My son is a big Knicks fan, and Quickley is his favorite player. We had the opportunity to briefly meet him in Las Vegas last summer, and he could not have been nicer to my son. Talked to him for about 5 minutes while waiting for an Uber, took photos, signed his IQ jersey, the whole nine yards. He is very sad to see Quickley go (not so much RJ), but is hopeful that this will give IQ the opportunity to shine that he deserves, and that frankly Tibs was not going to give him. It feels like the Knicks could have gotten more for what they gave up, but hopefully there are bigger plans here to do more.
Not surprised about your comments about IQ. One of my co-workers goes to the games on occasion and him and his son lucked up and met him as well. Very nice guy, took photos with him, signed a ball for him, etc. His son has a RJ jersey and IQ got RJ to sign it for his son. You don't get that too often from athlete/celebrity types. He will be missed by the Knick faithful. When Toronto comes to town he will get a warm reception. Until the game starts, anyway.

Old 01-03-2024, 12:03 PM

Feel sorry for Fournier. When you are in Thibs doghouse, it's hard getting out.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba...59ebbf28&ei=40

Evan Fournier has made two appearances for the New York Knicks this season. The veteran guard has been exiled from Tom Thibodeau's rotation since November 15, 2022. Since then, Fournier has been used sparingly by the Knicks, often finding himself glued to the bench. As such, when the Knicks made a trade for OG Anunoby on Saturday, Fournier found himself checking his phone to see whether his tenure with the Knickerbockers had come to an end. “Well, the thing is the way I learned it, I think it said it was a trade package surrounding RJ,” Fournier told Steve Popper of Newsday. “So of course you see that, you’re like, ‘Oh.’ You check your phone and stuff. I sleep well at night. I don’t check my phone to see if there’s a trade or anything. I just focus in on the moment because that’s the business.” Fournier joined the Knicks in 2021 following an unsuccessful spell with the Boston Celtics. In his first season with the franchise, Fournier averaged 14.1 points, 2.6 rebounds, and 2.1 assists, shooting 46.5% from two-point range and 38.9% from deep. Yet, in his second season with the team, his numbers fell off a cliff. Producing 6.1 points, 1.8 rebounds, and 1.3 assists on 40.4% from two-point range and 30.7% from deep. In fairness, Fournier's production dipped because his court time had been slashed by almost 10 minutes per game. Thibodeau likes his players to provide value on both sides of the court, leading Immanuel Quickley and Quentin Grimes to be the preferred guards off the bench. Since then, Fournier has been waiting for the Knicks to find him a new home. It's been 14 months since Fournier was originally dropped by Thibodeau. In that time, he's played a total of 15 times. Usually, his appearances have been late in games or when the roster was dealing with injury issues. Fournier isn't a bad player. He wowed fans during the FIBA World Cup over the summer and was previously a core part of the Orlando Magic's rotation. However, Fournier doesn't fit how Thibodeau wants his team to play. He was originally acquired by the front office after the Knicks' lack of offense had been exposed by the Atlanta Hawks in the 2022 playoffs.

Old 01-04-2024, 06:50 AM

Good win for the Knickerbockers! Randle and Brunson carried the team. Hartenstein dominated the boards. Problem is our bench isn't coming thru. Hopefully they will pick it up. Have many home games to rack up some wins.

https://nypost.com/2024/01/03/sports...rout-of-bulls/

In other words, it was the Randle-Brunson show. They were part of a starting lineup that utterly dominated Chicago’s, winning the rebounding battle (Isaiah Hartenstein had a career-high 20 by himself) and nailed over 40 percent of their treys. To underscore the starters’ dominance, the Knicks outscored the Bulls by 33 points in Anunoby’s 34 minutes. “It’s working really well,” Randle said. “And we can keep getting a lot better.” The bench was a different story. Tom Thibodeau experimented with a new second unit in the first half, leaving Randle in with the rest of the bench. It didn’t go well. The lineup of Randle, Quentin Grimes, Miles McBride, Precious Achiuwa and Josh Hart managed just eight points in six minutes and put the Knicks in an eight-point hole. The big issue was offense. It ran through Randle and Chicago’s defense wasn’t concerned with guarding anybody else, allowing the Bulls to collapse on their Randle target and clog the paint/passing lanes.

Old 01-10-2024, 07:35 AM

Let's go Knicks! Let's go Knicks! OG was a great pick up for the Knicks. Keep it going.

https://nypost.com/2024/01/09/sports...aight-victory/

OG Anunoby already was enjoying the finest of his five terrific games since he joined the Knicks, when he strode to the free-throw line in the second quarter Tuesday night with the packed Garden house already loudly chanting his name. Many athletes would lie and say they tuned out the crowd in that situation, but the instant MSG fan favorite admitted to soaking in the moment. “I noticed it, I missed my free throws,” Anunoby joked afterward. “It was really cool, though. “It feels great, just really cool. Great fans. I love it here, I love the fans, it’s awesome.” Just as the Knicks won their first nine games with Josh Hart in their lineup following his deadline acquisition last February, Anunoby also is having a wildly successful introduction to New York. Anunoby scored a team-best 23 points on 9-for-12 shooting with four made 3-pointers Tuesday night in the Knicks’ wire-to-wire 112-84 rout of the Trail Blazers. He had another massive two-way impact, finishing plus-26 in 29 minutes to boost his staggering overall rating to a cumulative plus-111 during his 5-0 start with the Knicks since a late December trade from the Raptors.

Old 01-11-2024, 11:52 AM

Touching letter from Quick on his exit from the Knicks. He will be missed.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/po...ew-york-knicks

Old 01-18-2024, 06:17 AM

Welcome back, Brunson. We needed you so bad. McBride and Grimes, you guys are going to have to step up more. Overall great win.

https://nypost.com/2024/01/17/sports...ason-with-win/

Back to full strength after missing Jalen Brunson in their previous two contests, the Knicks hit the 41-game midpoint of the season with a redemptive victory at the Garden. Brunson returned from his calf injury to score 30 points with seven assists in 37 minutes Wednesday as the Knicks beat the Rockets 109-94 on Tom Thibodeau’s 66th birthday. “Fantastic,” Brunson said when asked about his health. “Any chance I get to get out there to go play when I’m feeling great, I want to play, obviously. “I think we’re in a good place right now, but we got a lot of room for improvement. There’s a place we want to be, and we don’t want to be peaked out. We want to continue to get better.” Julius Randle provided 31 points with eight rebounds and OG Anunoby contributed 15 points and four steals in his seventh win in nine games with the Knicks (24-17), who also will play Thursday night at MSG against the Wizards before RJ Barrett and Immanuel Quickley return to New York on Saturday with the Raptors.

Old 01-19-2024, 05:49 AM

Again, thank god for Brunson. Close game on a back to back. Bagley and Poole looked good but the Knicks are too much. Let's go Knicks! Let's go Knicks! Cruel joke by Thibs putting in Fournier for 6 minutes. Just trade him, already.

https://nypost.com/2024/01/18/sports...-41-point-gem/

With the Knicks’ bench depleted Thursday night due to the absence of Josh Hart, Tom Thibodeau stuck with four of his five starters — all but OG Anunoby — for the entire third quarter on the tail end of back-to-back games with the Knicks trailing one of the worst teams in the league. Thibodeau eventually rested his starters for a brief period early in the fourth, before Jalen Brunson took over the game and bailed out the Knicks, who eventually pulled out a too-close, 113-109 win over the lowly Wizards at the Garden to open the second half of their 82-game schedule. Brunson poured in 20 of his game-high 41 points in the final quarter, while Julius Randle finished with 21 for the Knicks (25-17).“Whatever it takes to win. Teammates and coaches have confidence in me, and I have confidence in them. We just want to win. Whatever it is, whatever needs to be done,” Brunson said. “It’s the end of the game; you’re trying to win. It’s a little different, but the approach stays the same. I gotta have the same attacking mindset, but I also gotta be smart. You gotta know time, score and situation. It’s a little different but not that much.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball