Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2016, 11:34 PM

1,916 posts, read 1,460,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The Bulls never lost Jordan for a series and a half either.
You're right but Curry DID play all 6 games against the Thunder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 11:38 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,009,219 times
Quote:
They didn't need Curry for those 2 series. He should have healed up a bit more. Then again, he doesn't look injured (even during the parts of this series where he's been terrible).

Old 05-28-2016, 11:50 PM

32,117 posts, read 34,761,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
They didn't need Curry for those 2 series. He should have healed up a bit more. Then again, he doesn't look injured (even during the parts of this series where he's been terrible).
I don't think it's so much about pain and discomfort. I think it's more the disruption from not missing only games, but also practices.

They were looking really shaky against Portland. I don't think they get through without Curry and they definitely would have lost Game 4. Other than the first game, that was a competitive series.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:51 PM

78,458 posts, read 60,666,856 times
Gratz to GSW tonight. Heart of a champion fighting back again and again.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:54 PM

78,458 posts, read 60,666,856 times
Quote:

OKC has a difficult backcourt to contain. One guy is an ATG scorer. The other is, as one article put it, a hand grenade wrapped in barbed wire.
Pippen without the Bulls got them to the ECF back in the day though.

I have zero answer for OKC dropping 2 straight other than to credit GSW and perhaps not having the playoff experience or confidence required.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefan93 View Post
You're right but Curry DID play all 6 games against the Thunder.
Nobody's denying that. I'm just saying the dude suffered two very visible injuries that kept him off the court for a while. How do you account for that?

I mean, Jordan gets a pass for blowing it against the Magic in 1995. Everyone acknowledges he was rusty even though he dropped 55 on the Knicks in the Garden. If we give Jordan a pass for being "rusty," then why not give Curry a pass for suffering an ankle and MCL sprain?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYDBO3G_gBE

Old 05-28-2016, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Pippen without the Bulls got them to the ECF back in the day though.
Is the 90s "back in the day?" I guess that makes me feel old.

Old 05-29-2016, 12:03 AM

And there really is no "stopping" Kevin Durant. A bad game for him is 30 points. And he's a 90% FT shooter with a 7 footer's wingspan and crazy handles. I don't see any defense in the history of the NBA being able to stop him. You can only hope to contain him.

Russell Westbrook is flat out one of the best athletes I've ever seen in any sport. Maybe John Wall is faster from one end to the other but Russ gets out of the blocks quicker. He would be a good sprinter.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 05-29-2016 at 12:14 AM..

Old 05-29-2016, 12:20 AM

29,525 posts, read 22,688,988 times
I liked this article from yesterday

Stephen Curry made a key adjustment in Game 5 that may prove his knee is okay - Business Insider

Article made a great point that Curry's early struggles was more about rhythm than his knee being injured, and in game 5 he started taking it to the rim and that allowed him to get into his routine.

Same thing happened tonite, his early shots weren't going in, but he continued to drive and do what he could in other ways while he worked on his rhythm.

A GS win is by no means guaranteed Monday. OKC is sure to make some adjustments. You know that both KD and RW are going to continue being aggressive despite what Barkley says. And the GS bench has to play better, there was that brief stretch in the second quarter where all 5 Warriors were bench players and they looked bamboozled on the court. Thank goodness Steve Kerr called a timeout before the damage was too great.

Whatever happens, even the haters have to admire the heart of the Dubs in not quitting tonight. Most other teams would have folded mentally and quit. But of course the haters will continue to harp on why these Dubs aren't as good as the 96 Bulls. Frankly, who cares.

Going to be another great one Monday night!

Old 05-29-2016, 12:50 AM

5,167 posts, read 3,661,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I liked this article from yesterday

Stephen Curry made a key adjustment in Game 5 that may prove his knee is okay - Business Insider

Article made a great point that Curry's early struggles was more about rhythm than his knee being injured, and in game 5 he started taking it to the rim and that allowed him to get into his routine.

Same thing happened tonite, his early shots weren't going in, but he continued to drive and do what he could in other ways while he worked on his rhythm.

A GS win is by no means guaranteed Monday. OKC is sure to make some adjustments. You know that both KD and RW are going to continue being aggressive despite what Barkley says. And the GS bench has to play better, there was that brief stretch in the second quarter where all 5 Warriors were bench players and they looked bamboozled on the court. Thank goodness Steve Kerr called a timeout before the damage was too great.

Whatever happens, even the haters have to admire the heart of the Dubs in not quitting tonight. Most other teams would have folded mentally and quit. But of course the haters will continue to harp on why these Dubs aren't as good as the 96 Bulls. Frankly, who cares.

Going to be another great one Monday night!
I give the Warriors a lot of credit for their win tonight, but most teams would have folded? Why? The Warriors were never down more than 13 the whole game--and only 13 in the second quarter at that--and coming down the stretch, the margin was usually between 4-7 points. That's not insurmountable. A very weak mental team would have quit there, but I dont think most teams would have quit there.

But it is going to be on for Game 7, and I fully expect the Warriors to win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball