Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 09:28 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Tickets for the playoffs go on sale as soon as they know who is in them. Season ticket holders get a shot at the playoffs as early as the start of the season, but additional sales are announced to the public when the team clinches. As Unsettomati said, if the game is not needed, the tickets are refunded.

These are quotes from the TicketMaster site, they have similar messages for all major sports.

https://www.ticketmaster.com/nba FAQS:

NBA Playoffs

"Tipping off in late April, the NBA Playoffs feature the top eight teams from each conference battling for a spot in the NBA Finals. The NBA Playoffs schedule pits teams against each other in a best-of-seven series, and players pull out all the stops to earn a win and take a step closer to the championship in June. Home court advantage is key and fans can be there with NBA Playoffs tickets for the First Round, the Conference Semifinals & even the Conference Finals to give their squad an edge. It all culminates in the last best-of-seven series, the NBA Finals, featuring the Western and Eastern champions in one of the most action-packed, edge-of-your-seat sporting events in the world."

NFL Playoffs

"During the NFL Playoffs excitement fills the stadiums as the six highest ranking teams from the AFC and NFC face off to determine who'll be crowned conference champs and continue to the Super Bowl. NFL Playoff tickets are some of the most coveted tickets of the season, so be ready when the playoff schedule drops. From the first wild-card games of Wild Card Weekend, to the AFC and NFC Conference Championships, there's no better place to see NFL history made than from your seats."
That quote doesn't say anything other than you can buy tickets.

Doesn't say when they're available.

Tickets do not go on sale to the general public until the game is actually confirmed.
Case in point, round 2, Spurs vs rockets, game 5 tickets didn't go on sale to the public until 10am the day after game 2 when it was confirmed there would actually be a game 5.

You can buy on the secondary market, which are tickets sold via season ticket owners (including ticketing agencies)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 09:44 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
How exactly did they sell tickets to fans when they can't say who's actually going to be in the finals.
If they did sell said tickets then it would be a lawsuit waiting to happen or at minimum an admission of a rigged league.

No, playoff tickets for even a game 5 are not released for sale until there is an actual need for game 5, much less the next round of playoffs.
Quote:
That quote doesn't say anything other than you can buy tickets.

Doesn't say when they're available.

Tickets do not go on sale to the general public until the game is actually confirmed.
Case in point, round 2, Spurs vs rockets, game 5 tickets didn't go on sale to the public until 10am the day after game 2 when it was confirmed there would actually be a game 5.

You can buy on the secondary market, which are tickets sold via season ticket owners (including ticketing agencies)
https://www.ticketcity.com/mlb/mlb-p...s-tickets.html

NOTE On the linked page they are selling ALL PLAYOFF TICKETS NOW.

How to Buy NLCS Playoff Tickets
1. Scan through the 2017 NLCS Playoff Schedule and select the game that you would like to attend, or use the opponent or date filters beside the NLCS Playoff ticket listings to find the perfect matchup.

2. Click “Select” to reveal all available NLCS Playoff tickets, the ball park interactive seating chart, ticket quantity, and ticket price filters. Use the ticket price filter, and ticket quantity filter to quickly refine your search to the available NLCS Playoff tickets that are in your price range. You can also utilize the “eTickets Only” filter to find all NLCS Playoff tickets that will be delivered electronically. The ball park interactive map can be employed to reveal all tickets available for a preferred section. Select the perfect tickets and click “Go” to proceed to checkout.

3. Review the checkout page to ensure that the correct NLCS Playoff tickets have been selected, and read through any ticket notes or delivery information. If everything looks correct, fill out the checkout information, and purchase your NLCS Playoff Tickets!

Need help finding the right NLCS Playoff Tickets?

And on their NBA Page, they are selling all tickets now.

https://www.ticketcity.com/nba/nba-p...s-tickets.html

Look, it seems that the date is not set, so I was wrong about them having trouble changing the date... But I am pretty sure after clicking these links that you can buy playoff tickets far in advance.

I am done debating this.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 05-20-2017 at 09:54 PM..

Old 05-21-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
https://www.ticketcity.com/mlb/mlb-p...s-tickets.html

NOTE On the linked page they are selling ALL PLAYOFF TICKETS NOW.

How to Buy NLCS Playoff Tickets
1. Scan through the 2017 NLCS Playoff Schedule and select the game that you would like to attend, or use the opponent or date filters beside the NLCS Playoff ticket listings to find the perfect matchup.

2. Click “Select” to reveal all available NLCS Playoff tickets, the ball park interactive seating chart, ticket quantity, and ticket price filters. Use the ticket price filter, and ticket quantity filter to quickly refine your search to the available NLCS Playoff tickets that are in your price range. You can also utilize the “eTickets Only” filter to find all NLCS Playoff tickets that will be delivered electronically. The ball park interactive map can be employed to reveal all tickets available for a preferred section. Select the perfect tickets and click “Go” to proceed to checkout.

3. Review the checkout page to ensure that the correct NLCS Playoff tickets have been selected, and read through any ticket notes or delivery information. If everything looks correct, fill out the checkout information, and purchase your NLCS Playoff Tickets!

Need help finding the right NLCS Playoff Tickets?

And on their NBA Page, they are selling all tickets now.

https://www.ticketcity.com/nba/nba-p...s-tickets.html

Look, it seems that the date is not set, so I was wrong about them having trouble changing the date... But I am pretty sure after clicking these links that you can buy playoff tickets far in advance.

I am done debating this.
Also note these are not direct tickets, they are 3rd party tickets being sold. These ticketing agencies get first rights as "season ticket" holders. They are sold well above face value generally as well.

You are buying season ticket holder seats, paying up front for tickets that don't actually exist until the game is set. The agency you're buying from isn't paying a dime for them until the game actually happens as well.

The ACTUAL tickets, from the ACTUAL team/venue are not released until the game is set. I.e. The Toyota center here in Houston doesn't release tickets to the general public until the day after the game is officially needed.

Side note, did you even try clicking on tickets on the baseball link? It won't let you do anything, it only shows dates.
2nd, what the NFL, MLB, and NHL do has zero bearing on what the NBA does.
The reason the dates will not change has zero to do with ticket sales, the league couldn't care less because they know the tickets will sell no mater what, they won't change because they have TV contracts, period.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:08 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times
Quote:

No, playoff tickets for even a game 5 are not released for sale until there is an actual need for game 5, much less the next round of playoffs.
In the past, I've purchased tickets to Bulls playoff games before the the game was confirmed. If the series didn't make it that far, I'd get a refund for it.

I am not a season ticket holder.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:13 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,750,250 times
The Finals never start on a weekend so I believe Game 1 will be Thursday, June 1st

Old 05-22-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
In the past, I've purchased tickets to Bulls playoff games before the the game was confirmed. If the series didn't make it that far, I'd get a refund for it.

I am not a season ticket holder.
but you didnt buy them from the venue/team, but through a 3rd party seller. thats the point.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:24 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
The Cavs and the Warriors look dominant in both of their Conference Finals series so far. Most likely, they end up sweeping both series, and giving all of fans what we've been waiting for: the trilogy. Now, the NBA Finals tip off on June 1st, so both teams will have at least 8 days off. Should the NBA step in and start The Finals early like they did with the Mavericks and Heat in 2011?
It used to start on time when NBC had all the Conference Finals and Finals games. With ABC they have to schedule it in advance.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:26 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
The games will not be moved due to TV obligations. The league has dates predetermined for TV schedules.
Thread. Conference titles need to be moved to ABC.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:47 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,750,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
It used to start on time when NBC had all the Conference Finals and Finals games. With ABC they have to schedule it in advance.
I knew game 1 would be next Thursday because as long as I been watching basketball, I never remember the Finals starting on the weekend.

Old 05-27-2017, 11:10 PM

9,761 posts, read 7,470,755 times
I get it why they have the set date: People buy tickets months in advance, so they can set their work schedules, make sure are back from vacation, etc......however, neither the Cavs or Warriors have played a competitive game in about 4 months, and BOTH need more than a week off?? Start game 1 on this Sunday night (Memorial day weekend): Most business & corporation's have the Monday off, so you don't have to worry about the majority missing work (plus you can get a good Sunday night audience with no school as well), and if people are on vacation they'd have all day Sunday to get back and get to the arena. Game 2 would be Thursday night, the same night scheduled as game 1: open to anyone with game 1 OR game 2 tickets (same with game 1 since it would take place on the same night as game 2), and than the regular schedule would resume with game 3 on the following Tuesday. Sure, that's a lot of off days as well, but at least the series would have started already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball