Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 07:40 PM

5,850 posts, read 5,651,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
How is he closing the gap when he left two teams and Jordan played with the same team for 14 seasons?
Because if anybody just wanted to pick one metric to compare any player in history on, we could all pick whatever criteria we want and be biased as hell without regard to any other criteria or stat. I could say hell, how is Jordan better than Lebron when Lebron went to The Finals in Year 4 at 22 years old? And be done with the argument there...

Your argument doesn't even have anything to do with talent, skill, or on court performance...

Both arguments are preposterous and aren't really arguments at all; both present ONE bullet point along a measuring stick and base that as the reason one is greater than the other. Do you realize how you sound making that as your claim?

The bottom line is their career arcs were much different. It necessitated different moves. Mike got Phil in Year 5, and if Michael was as ultra competitive as his legend says he is, how long do you think he would have stuck with the Bulls if they couldn't create a contender? If he never got Phil? If he never had a Scottie or Horace Grant? How long do you think someone as notoriously competitive as Mike, who wanted to be the best and wim, would have sat in Chicago in the same conditions. 7 years (like Lebron)? 8 years? 10? 15? How long would he have been content watching other teams and lesser players win rings, with no end in sight? It's more likely he just would've retired after Year 9 like he did but as "The Greatest who never got a ring". The Barry Sanders of basketball...

Last edited by murksiderock; 06-03-2017 at 08:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 03:21 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,674,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
3 rings.

No, LeBron averaged more points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks than Wade in the 2010-11 regular season and he also had better shooting percentages.
LeBron averaged 26-8-6 shooting 45% from the field and 86% from the ft line against the Bulls in the Conference Finals that year, Wade only averaged 19-6-2 shooting 40% and 82%.
So why didn't he win 3 rings before Kobe came to the League ?

Stop being bias man !! Wade was a top 3 guard still when LeBron came to Miami and like i said Wade carried the Heat in the Finals. Lebron avg less than Jason terry that year.. You need proof or what ?

Old 06-04-2017, 03:57 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,674,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
You all do realize there's an entire nation of sports media that doesn't collaborate or take cues from ESPN?

Lebron has been compared to Jordan long before 2017. You all need to stop acting like this is breaking news. Whether the comparison is just in some people's minds, we know it isn't, but you guys pretending it started recently, or acting like he has no stake in a Jordan comparison, is silly...

This is a major reason some people don't like Lebron. He doesn't fit their image of the Great Untouchable that was Jordan, despite metrics in which he clearly is even or better than Jordan in. But the problem isn't Lebron, the problem is we all deified Jordan--and no matter what side of the debate you stand on, Lebron James has forced people to re-examine Jordan's career. Not a single other player, not even the vaunted Kobe Bryant of 5 championship teams, since Jordan's 90s heyday, has caused such chatter amongst fans, media, and players in comparison to Jordan, as Lebron James...

If that isn't a mark of his greatness, what is? And that's uncomfortable to you, because you all trained yourselves long ago that nobody in NBA history could ever be better than the original #23...

And I'll say this right now-----with 5 Finals losses in 8 tries, it will be hard for me to definitively place Lebron over Jordan. At some point the wins have to start evening out. However, unlike most of you, I will never argue against a Jordan/Lebron debate, because he belongs there and it's absolutely valid..

And on the same note, a loss this year doesn't end the debate once and for all. What if LeBron ends his career with 10 or 11 Finals appearances? He's at 8 right now, and this may be the last one (we don't know), but if he gets to two more, he's going at least 1-1; if he gets to three more, he's going at least 2-1. And hypothetically, a guy who finishes his career 5-6 in Finals appearances, who nearly doubled Jordan's appearances, both beat and lost to teams miles ahead of any team Jordan even faced, took multiple coaches to Finals on his shoulders (Jordan never saw a Finals without Phil Jackson), played longer than Jordan, dominated an entire decade or more of NBA basketball, crushes some of Jordan's records (took the playoff scoring mark this year), and pretty much is honestly considered, peak to peak, as a better overall player than Mike anyway----

Even with a losing record, say 5-6, you expect people to believe this guy is somehow not better than Mike?

We'll just keep watching. He's currently 3-4, and We'll know in less than 2 weeks whether he's 3-5 or 4-4, but either way, his career isn't over. If he remains behind Jordan, he's still closing the gap or surpassing him each year he plays. And that fact, just that he's closing the gap, makes too many people uncomfortable and is a main reason so many people dislike Lebron...
How is he closing the gap by playing on a SuperTeam in the weak east ?

His teams have been favored to come out the east the past 7 years and even was favored to win a few finals. At least Jordan faced tougher competition in his road to the finals.Detroit,Knicks,Pacers,Bird Celtics,

Go look at that first 3peat bulls team and tell me what other great player did he have besides Pippen ?

Lebron teaming up really weakened the competition in the east and it's embarrassing !!

What All star does John wall have to help ?

What All star does Isiah and Paul George have ?

Carnelo has nobody !!!

He'll make it out the east again despite losing this year.
The Cavs have 3 All star hof's with a bunch of 3pt shooters,solid bench,the highest payroll ever and all i hear is i need more help.Smh

Than you say Jordan never faced a team this great in the finals ? But isn't Lebron teams great as well ? Lebron had the luxury of basically handpicking this Cavs team.

By your logic than Kobe beat a SuperTeam in the finals as well with him and gasol vs 4 All star hof's in the 08 -10 Celtics.

You gotta stop making excuses for Lebron and call it how it really is !!

Warriors are a team made up through the draft,
Klay was like the 11th pick,Curry like the 7th or 8th pick,
Draymond is a freaking 2nd round pick man lol

Lebron is a #1 pick,Kyrie a #1 pick,Love a #3 or 4 pick.
KD joined the Warriors because he saw how Lebron teamed up to chase rings so he figured why not do the same before it's too late.

If Lebron is supposedly the best player in the world or #2 behind Jordan, some even say he's better than shouldn't the best player ever win this series ? Drop 40 a game with a triple double and get it done right ? So even if Cavs lose everyone can say he had no help but he put up Goat numbers and been to 7 straight finals in that weak east

Old 06-04-2017, 09:12 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,758,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
How is he closing the gap by playing on a SuperTeam in the weak east ?

His teams have been favored to come out the east the past 7 years and even was favored to win a few finals. At least Jordan faced tougher competition in his road to the finals.Detroit,Knicks,Pacers,Bird Celtics,

Go look at that first 3peat bulls team and tell me what other great player did he have besides Pippen ?

Lebron teaming up really weakened the competition in the east and it's embarrassing !!

What All star does John wall have to help ?

What All star does Isiah and Paul George have ?

Carnelo has nobody !!!

He'll make it out the east again despite losing this year.
The Cavs have 3 All star hof's with a bunch of 3pt shooters,solid bench,the highest payroll ever and all i hear is i need more help.Smh

Than you say Jordan never faced a team this great in the finals ? But isn't Lebron teams great as well ? Lebron had the luxury of basically handpicking this Cavs team.

By your logic than Kobe beat a SuperTeam in the finals as well with him and gasol vs 4 All star hof's in the 08 -10 Celtics.

You gotta stop making excuses for Lebron and call it how it really is !!

Warriors are a team made up through the draft,
Klay was like the 11th pick,Curry like the 7th or 8th pick,
Draymond is a freaking 2nd round pick man lol

Lebron is a #1 pick,Kyrie a #1 pick,Love a #3 or 4 pick.
KD joined the Warriors because he saw how Lebron teamed up to chase rings so he figured why not do the same before it's too late.

If Lebron is supposedly the best player in the world or #2 behind Jordan, some even say he's better than shouldn't the best player ever win this series ? Drop 40 a game with a triple double and get it done right ? So even if Cavs lose everyone can say he had no help but he put up Goat numbers and been to 7 straight finals in that weak east

And since all you hear on ESPN that Lebron is the best player in the world there should be no excuses if the Cavs lose the series.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:57 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,729,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
He seems a great player. And massive, semi-fat, almost Shaq-like person. So I just wonder ... why don't people like LeBron?
I like and admire him a lot. I didn't care so much for him when he left Cleveland for Miami. But, lets face it. Everyone wants to try a new place once in their life. He totally redeemed himself in my eyes when he went back to his hometown, forced a Finals victory and dedicated it to his beloved Clevelanders. He's a classy guy. The best Basketball player of his generation.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:50 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,953,789 times
I don't like him because I've seen him act too passive and kind of give up too many times. He doesn't have that same passion to win like Jordan and Kobe did. He also really annoyed me when he first got into the league thinking he was some great businessman and doing too much stupid **** before games and before he had a ring like the powder tossing and other stuff. I also think he acts like a crybaby sometimes and too much like the coach.

Old 06-05-2017, 04:15 PM

10,578 posts, read 7,793,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I don't like him because I've seen him act too passive and kind of give up too many times. He doesn't have that same passion to win like Jordan and Kobe did. ..
Yeah, he's not a dick like Jordan and Bryant were. One of the reasons Lebron is a more mature and exemplary player than they were, IMO.

He's openly friendly to Durant before the games, yet plays himself to exhaustion trying to stop him and the Warriors. That's sportsmanship.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:50 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,954,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Yeah, he's not a dick like Jordan and Bryant were. One of the reasons Lebron is a more mature and exemplary player than they were, IMO.

He's openly friendly to Durant before the games, yet plays himself to exhaustion trying to stop him and the Warriors. That's sportsmanship.
I'm sure some people would like to see how good Lebron could've been if he had MJ's attitude (rudeness and all).

Old 06-06-2017, 11:06 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,525,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post

I think there's a lot of truth to this. The one complaint I have (but it's not unique to James in today's NBA) is the whining to officials when he doesn't get a call--even while a play is still live. Even in the playoffs, we are seeing teams play 4 on 5 while a player complains to officials. That's not winning basketball: hustle, get back on defense, and talk to the refs at the next dead ball.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:11 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,095,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
He has an annoying face
can not make an underhand free throw to save his LIFE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball