Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2018, 09:17 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Now we’ll see how much the NBA cares about ratings in the finals. If Silver & company do care, they would mandate the Rockets beat the Warriors tomorrow. Either team is beating this crap Cavs team that has no business being in the finals in 5 games max, but I could see Houston/Cavs generating some ratings buzz.

My bold prediction of the 2018 finals: A Warriors/Cavs rematch of the rematch of the rematch would be one of the lowest rated finals of the last 20 years for reasons I’ve said earlier: 2015 & 2016 were great matchups, but 2017 sucked and 2018 will be even worse, and nobody cares about Cavs/Warriors anymore! We’ve seen it 3 times already, there’s no way in hell this year is going to live up to 2016 (yet alone get to 6 games much less a 7th game) and I think it would drive people out in droves.

Your up Mr. Commissioner, what’s your call??
I have to respectfully disagree.

The three year finals run of Warriors vs. Cavs, 2015-2017, all had similar television ratings of around 20 million. That's actually the highest finals tv ratings since 1998 (that finals had the highest finals ratings ever, the Bulls vs Utah).

No disrespect to Houston, but there's nothing really compelling about that team besides the one man army Harden. Sure they are a tough, scrappy team, but the most fans want something more compelling, and the Warriors are way more compelling and fun to watch than Houston. And that's whether you like them or you despise them. You got all the superstars like Durant and Curry. And James is compelling enough, you wonder how much farther he can take this.

The ratings for these playoffs has been solid, with some of the highest single game ratings in a while, and this included a Warrior blowout game.

If Golden State moves on, the ratings will be just as solid as the previous three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 09:19 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Agreed, GSW would sweep the Cavs

We should all be praying the Rockets win
Even if CP3 did some hyperbaric oxygen therapy over the past 3 days, I just can't see him playing tomorrow, and if he does, he won't be 100% and might even further injury himself and actually tear the hamstring.

Without CP3, it might be a carbon copy of Game 6, where the Rockets come out hot and Harden blows his entire load in the 1st quarter and they eventually get blown out in the end by the Dubs.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:27 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Agreed, GSW would sweep the Cavs

We should all be praying the Rockets win
Yup. That’s why I think people would actually watch. No disrespect to what James did with this NBDL or G League team, but they’ll be lucky to win 1 game and be within 10 the other 4 games against the Warriors, which is why I said it would receive horrible ratings; not a disservice to LeBron or the Warriors, but it would be a horrible mismatch that no neutral observer or casual NBA fan or casual sports fan would waste their time with. I think the Rockets win the series too, but I could at least see that as a competitive 6 or maybe even 7 game series.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:27 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
I thought the Celtics were good after they went up 2-0. Cavs/LBJ proved me wrong... congrats to them.

LBJ is just too good.

Three Celtics guards shot 7-42.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:30 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times
And really for anyone that doesn’t believe me if the Celtics have just ONE of Hayward or Irving, they win this game. If they have both of them there isn’t a game 7, because the Celtics win in 5 or 6.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:30 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I thought the Celtics were good after they went up 2-0. Cavs/LBJ proved me wrong... congrats to them.

LBJ is just too good.

Why in the world did you think that when they were 1-4 on the road and the Cavs had Lebron?

Old 05-27-2018, 09:36 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

LBJ is just too good.

It's all LBJ. He puts up the greatest performances I've ever seen. I grew up in the end of the Jordan era.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:54 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Ok, if the Dubs win tomorrow, and they play the Cavs, I'm going to keep track of the finals ratings just to see if the 'experts' on here are correct about how people don't want to see the Cavs/Warriors play again in the finals.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:55 PM

5,829 posts, read 5,635,141 times
People can try all they want to discredit LeBron James, move the goalposts on their biased GOAT-o-meter, whatever makes them feel better. There are things has doing and has done that won't be repeated for a long time, if ever...

Eight straight NBA Finals. Eight. Guys could play two 15 year careers and not play in that many Finals...

It defies conventional wisdom that this Cavaliers team should have a shot in The Finals, so I'll just say this. In January, the narrative was that Cleveland was going to struggle in the East bracket. By playoff time, we were told that the Cavs might not even get home court advantage, and in the 1st Round, especially after falling down 2-1, we were told Cleveland couldn't make it our of the 1st Round...

In Round 2, we were told the 59-win #1 seed would knock off the Cavs. In Round 3 all we heard was how the Celtics had a better team and the media and fans overreacted with each loss...

And yet, here we are. This week were going to hear about how Houston or Golden State will annihilate Cleveland in 4 or 5 games. Every loss the Cavs take will be called the death blow. People seem to have forgotten that whether you lose by two points or 42 points, it only counts as one loss...and it takes four losses to lose a series...

It defies wisdom for this Cavs team to even be in this position, but the drive for Ring #4 is on. The greatest player of his era and quite possibly the greatest player ever...

Old 05-27-2018, 10:19 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,402,316 times
Very happy but now the Warriors will be more fused seeing that Cleveland won!

Now I wish Houston had won!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball